Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Ya, mine came with cables for the baseplate - very awkward for a Jeep off road so I don't use them. the bolts are easy to check on mine.

I parked next to a couple that said their baseplate on their new Chev pickup actually pulled the bolts through the holes because they had loosened. He had to repair it with large washers.
What brand base plate?

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
What brand base plate?
Blue Ox - both mine and his

Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Brad.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I can't speak for other brands BUT Blue-Ox base-plates are to be installed with RED Loctite and bolts/nuts torqued to recommended specs.

Copied directly from a Blue-Ox Base-plate installation manual.

Be sure to use Loctite Red on all bolts before tightening. Tighten all bolts according to the torque chart provided.

Read pages 1 & 9 from my base-plate installation manual. Especially pay attention to the orange Waring on page 1. All of the needed information is there. People just need to stop cutting corners or skip important steps.

If those instructions are precisely followed you won't have any bolts or nuts coming loose on your base-plate.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't recall saying he cut any corners, so lets jump down off our soapbox a little. You weren't there, you didn't install it, so don't make absolutes about whether his bolts would have loosened.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've installed five Blue Ox baseplates on various vehicles. I used red loctite on every one of them. On three of those vehicles, I had to remove the baseplates when I traded the vehicles. I can tell you that removing those bolts is not an easy task. The Loctite works, especially if the bolts are torqued to spec.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #21

I installed the Blue Ox baseplate on my F150 and carefully followed the instructions for torque, threadlock and safety cables. One of my fears is that the bolts will loosen over time, especially with the load the baseplate is towing (about 7k#). However, checking the torque, assuming the nuts move while checking, will require them to be removed or backed off in order to apply new threadlock... so I have never checked them. Perhaps it is worth it to periodically pull the bumper and take a look at things just to be sure.
Barmats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks for the heads-up!
X2

One more thing to add to the annual honey-do-list!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
We now have our car back with the repairs completed so I thought I'd post an update with some additional information.

The wrench who replaced the base plate commented that we were very luck considering that the bolts had worked loose as the party who installed the baseplate (Redlands Truck and RV Performance Center) did not attach the supplied safety straps. He said, if the bolts failed, the baseplate would have completely separated from our toad.

Needless to say, our new baseplate has new bolts with red Locktite applied and the new safety cables are attached as per the installation instructions.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #24

I installed the baseplate on our 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am the one that inspects the baseplate monthly. 30k on the baseplate and still tight. I did install the safety straps.
Its the responsibility of the owner to inspect the hardware.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I installed the baseplate on our 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am the one that inspects the baseplate monthly. 30k on the baseplate and still tight. I did install the safety straps.
Its the responsibility of the owner to inspect the hardware.
Exactly, one reason I installed my baseplate and wiring myself was so I could inspect and fix any problems. I used Red Locktite and installed the supplied safety cables.

Ron...I would be contacting Redlands Truck, if for no other reason than to ensure they are aware they have a sloppy installer and to ensure no one else has a serious detachment on the road....glad you got it all sorted
Old 10-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #26

One year ago we where heading up the CA coast. Stopped in a rest stop just north of Santa Barbara. Did my walk around inspection and spotted a crack in the Blue Ox tow bar!
Ended up staying at a local campsite and drove down to LA and picked up a new Tow Bar.
Hate to think what would have happened if that towbar cracked thru!
Inspect, inspect, inspect!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post

We now have our car back with the repairs completed so I thought I'd post an update with some additional information.

The wrench who replaced the base plate commented that we were very lucky considering that the bolts had worked loose as the party who installed the baseplate (Redlands Truck and RV Performance Center) did not attach the supplied safety straps. He said, if the bolts failed, the baseplate would have completely separated from our toad.

Needless to say, our new baseplate has new bolts with red Locktite applied and the new safety cables are attached as per the installation instructions.

Glad to hear that your new baseplate has been installed per the installation instructions. You should not have any more worries about the bolts working loose or the baseplate separating from your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post

I don't recall saying he cut any corners, so lets jump down off our soapbox a little. You weren't there, you didn't install it, so don't make absolutes about whether his bolts would have loosened.
I guess certain individuals should step down off of their "soapbox" until all of the important facts have been determined before posted snide remarks.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, toad