Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Accidentally Towed Jeep With Parking Brake On

Hi All,
Oh Boy, I accidentally towed my Jeep Liberty w/Brake on for 10 feet.
Could I have caused any damage?
Will use checklist every time from now on!!
Thanks in advance for your replies.
MissAdventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Sounds like you should be fine, but having seen a few Jeeps pulled for the water at a Boat dock with brakes on. they pulled more the 70' and about 30' on land all was fine. As long as your brakes still hold. The things to check out for yourself. I would be more concerned about is if the wheels were turning and the transmission was not in tow position.

Here is how you should be able to check by one press and hold the brake with foot while, pressing the gas, but just a little to see if it holds in place. Also, do this in a safe location. If that is fine. Step two put your parking brake on and just with the foot on the gas check to see if the jeep movies. But softly and slowly press the gas for a little check. As the jeep should not roll at all and all is working as built.

Now, If all is holding you in place but your still concerned have your jeep dealer (One you can trust) to check and inspect them.

Now, if the JEEP is not an automatic just put in gear with the brake on and see if vehicle moves.

If your all good, then do a happy dance.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I think we've all done it at one time or another. 10 ft? Not a problem. You can always do a brake test to ease your mind if you want.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #4

10 ft? Thats not even the length of the Liberty! I think you will be fine!

If it was in park, maybe that would be different.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Here is a YOUTUBE for a JEEP on checking brakes.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drove a hundred miles with the emergency brake on but not so rear tires did not turn. On my 07 Accord. Yes Honda quality! Just replaced pads <$20.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #7

10 feet, nothing.

If you needed to use the parking brake to stop, it would be a longer distance then that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

You may have a TINY flat spot on the rear tires ; but brake damage , in 10 feet no.
I went 150 feet with the trans in park . no damage, except to my ego , at the ferry dock ... with 30 vehicles behind .
Old 09-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Old 09-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAdventur View Post
Hi All,
Oh Boy, I accidentally towed my Jeep Liberty w/Brake on for 10 feet.
Could I have caused any damage?
Will use checklist every time from now on!!
Thanks in advance for your replies.
!0' ? You could do more damage to your brakes leaving your Jeep outside on a damp evening. Release the brake and be on your way.
Have a nice trip.
Lynn
Old 09-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #11

I pulled my 2013 Chevy Sonic about 100 ft with the brake on. Ended up getting 4 new tires. Lucky the old ones were due for replacement.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Yup, me too. I think this may be one of those "join the club" situations. It's not as uncommon as you'd think as not only I have done it but many I've talked to reluctantly admit that they've done it too. In my case, I pulled one of our Subarus about 70 miles with the hand brake applied.

I took it to a mechanic I trusted anticipating that I've have to spend about $300 to replace the parking brake shoes but he was able to --what he referred to as-- "reverse the pads on the shoes" so that no new parts would be needed for about $70 worth of labor. I was pleased. He said that the parking brake may not hold as tight as what might be normally expected but would be more than adequate.

If the parking brake still holds to your satisfaction, I wouldn't worry about it for now. Like others, I don't believe 10-feet would have done too much damage if it did any damage at all ...either to the parking brake or the tires.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #13

You may want to consider making a checklist. I took the instructions in our Wrangler's manual for towing/driving after towing, verbatim, typed and printed it from my computer then had it laminated. I keep it in the Jeep and refer to it EVERY time we either hook up or separate. Haven't left the brake on yet.

It's especially handy if you haven't done it for a while and are forgetful like me.

Rocky
Old 09-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #14

Use a chalk to block the tire instead. You should notice it is still under the tire when you are done hooking up. If you forget, it will drive over it, or it will be left in the driveway depending on which side of the tires you put it on.

Tags
brake, tow, towed