RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #29

I bought mine used but it was in like-new condition. I bought it used to save the shipping cost. Mine has the surge-type brakes and it works very well. I never feel the tow pushing me.

The unit is well thought out, and well made. I won’t need another for many years but if I did I would purchase Acme again and would not be afraid of another used one if it had not been abused.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 05:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiman View Post
For thoses who have an Acme dolly, would you have reservations in buying a used one? And how old in too old? Have they changed anything on the newer units that are needed?

I had a 2014. I think they have changed the rear ramp attachment and strap design since then. The lights were also rotated 90 degrees to help keep them from falling out. (However, fixing the lights in an older dolly is simply a matter of adding a couple of tie wraps.) They also went with 12” tires rather than 10” tires. I updated the tires on mine to the larger 12” and also bought a second set to carry in my basement. I also swapped out for metal valve stems and ran my TPMS sensors on the dolly.

I prefer the ramp attachment and strap design of my 2014. If you do buy used, look for leakage of axle lubricant on both the inside and outside of the hub. The axle uses a special lubricant and there are specific procedures for lubricating and replacing the seals. The brakes may also need replacement.

If in good condition, shouldn’t be an issue to buy used. Many store them indoors because they are small compared other dollies.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #31

Have a 2015 plus extra 10 inch spare. Dolly never used went 4 down reason selling. $1K. I am located North East Texas. PM if interested.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
Have a 2015 plus extra 10 inch spare. Dolly never used went 4 down reason selling. $1K. I am located North East Texas. PM if interested.
Thanks, I purchased a flat tow setup recently.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #33

I have also one one I'm looking to sell

Bought my Acme Eze tow in 2017 with the hydraulic surge disc brakes to pull a Prius. Worked very well and is fairly light to maneuver around by hand. I also bought a spare wheel and tire. Tows easy and never felt it "pushing" me as I as braking to a stop. I put maybe 5,000 miles on over the course of two years.

Recently bought a 2012 CRV to four down as it was time to sell the Prius and I wanted one less set of tires to maintain.

I live near Nashville, TN and will deliver within 150 miles of Nashville and show you how to hook it up. I'll be posting it up on the classifieds section in the next day or so if you to see pictures.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #34

Just a quick update to my previous post. I sold to dolly to a very nice fellow RV'r. Of course all RV'rs are nice.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #35

Locking Steering wheel

Just read about the Acme dolly. They seem to not include the rotating dolly any more as they say that most new cars are built without locking steering wheel.
I have a VW Eos that I want to tow. The Acme seems the one to use but can't use Acme as the steering wheel locks and it has no key. It is a push button start up no unlock or any in-between. Either locked or unlocked with the car running.
Any suggestions?

Any names of a tow dolly that has the rotating body?
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonCamper View Post
Just read about the Acme dolly. They seem to not include the rotating dolly any more as they say that most new cars are built without locking steering wheel.
I have a VW Eos that I want to tow. The Acme seems the one to use but can't use Acme as the steering wheel locks and it has no key. It is a push button start up no unlock or any in-between. Either locked or unlocked with the car running.
Any suggestions?

Any names of a tow dolly that has the rotating body?
The Demco doesn't have the rotating bed, but the wheels of the dolly steer and it pulls just like a 4-down. The wheels are strapped and steering wheel locked for towing. It is an extremely well made dolly and if you bide your time, they do show up on CL at prices comparable to the cheap dollies. It also has the hydraulic surge brakes.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
The Demco doesn't have the rotating bed, but the wheels of the dolly steer and it pulls just like a 4-down. The wheels are strapped and steering wheel locked for towing. It is an extremely well made dolly and if you bide your time, they do show up on CL at prices comparable to the cheap dollies. It also has the hydraulic surge brakes.
Thanks The Powells!! Being new a this, just starting my research on the subject. Acme seems like just the thing but for lack of a rotating bed. I shall look into it!!
Not wanting to have the hassle of electric hook ups so the surge brakes sounds perfect.
Thanks again!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #38

Acme is the only tow dolly, of many brands, without some way of steering, besides the cars wheels being pulled around turns.

Demco, MasterTow, Stehl Tow, American Car Dolly, Tow Max and Ultra Tow, to name a few, all have some way of steering, besides the cars tires turning.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Acme is the only tow dolly, of many brands, without some way of steering, besides the cars wheels being pulled around turns.

Demco, MasterTow, Stehl Tow, American Car Dolly, Tow Max and Ultra Tow, to name a few, all have some way of steering, besides the cars tires turning.
BTW, Demco is the #1 dolly builder in the United States as they build the dollies for U-Haul. Also, they do not paint theirs as they are galvanized. They do weigh more and thus harder to move around, but they have folding tongues and the ramps will flip up and make a smaller footprint for storage.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
BTW, Demco is the #1 dolly builder in the United States as they build the dollies for U-Haul. Also, they do not paint theirs as they are galvanized. They do weigh more and thus harder to move around, but they have folding tongues and the ramps will flip up and make a smaller footprint for storage.

The ACME will stow standing up. In a campground, I generally just back over mine so storage is not an issue. The ACME at under 400 lbs, and especially with the ramps removed from the tongue, is pretty easy to move around by hand. It is also quite easy to back up with a car on it which most dollys can't do.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We also used the Acme with our previous toad and it was easy enough to move around as-is. However, I also liked to store it under the MH but didn't want to have to rely upon backing the MH over it - and them moving the MH again at departure to retrieve it.

So I took a 2x8 and mounted 4 swivel casters on the corners and a 2" ball stuck on top of a scrap piece of 4x4 (for height). When I took the dolly off the MH I'd just plop it onto the ball of my dolly-roller-skate and then I could push it under the MH even when on gravel - without any real effort.

Another benefit from the roller-skate was that it kept the hydraulic brake lines (mounted under the dolly) and the electrical wiring from getting pinched on the ground which can happen if you just rest the dolly tongue on the ground.

This could be done with any brand of dolly.
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
We also used the Acme with our previous toad and it was easy enough to move around as-is. However, I also liked to store it under the MH but didn't want to have to rely upon backing the MH over it - and them moving the MH again at departure to retrieve it.

So I took a 2x8 and mounted 4 swivel casters on the corners and a 2" ball stuck on top of a scrap piece of 4x4 (for height). When I took the dolly off the MH I'd just plop it onto the ball of my dolly-roller-skate and then I could push it under the MH even when on gravel - without any real effort.

Another benefit from the roller-skate was that it kept the hydraulic brake lines (mounted under the dolly) and the electrical wiring from getting pinched on the ground which can happen if you just rest the dolly tongue on the ground.

This could be done with any brand of dolly.
This is a genius idea, or as least one that I did not think of. I just got a Acme tow dolly from an extremely nice fellow RV'er. I was going by the discount tool store and saw a small furniture dolly. It works great. I may mount a ball on it like RandDescape but this works well.

Thanks,

superiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly