Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
is $23.99 for the pair or just 1 side?
"Tow Dolly Basket Strap with 2 Twisted Snap Hooks"

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #142

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
"Tow Dolly Basket Strap with 2 Twisted Snap Hooks"
Correct, it is one strap, requiring you to order two. Also a bit cheaper than purchasing another set of ACME straps (which I have also done before I found these).

Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
As stated before, these are my opinions..................

Since the tire is only being tightened with the front strap, pulling it down
is also pulling it forward, the only direction it can go. Otherwise the rear
tie downs would never get tight if it didn't pull a little forward.

My concern was that the most forward cross piece was behind the
center line of the tire and it seemed that it would be possible for the
front half of the strap to slide off to one side and no longer keep the tire
in place. This would probably only happen if there were an extreme
movement by the dolly, like turning too tight or a violent movement to
avoid an accident.
Or maybe it would never move, but to me it just looks like it's not a good idea.

Demco Kar kaddy uses the same style strap.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #144

Question for Acme users from a potential new dolly user: With the toad strapped on, would it be possible to uncouple the dolly from my RV for a brief time, and then re-couple? I wonder what the behavior of the weighted dolly tongue would be (flip up & smash the toad front end? ...or weigh too much to recouple by hand?).

Just thinking ahead in the case where I'd need to fuel up or find myself in a situation that I would need to reverse the RV out a spot before I pull in. Uncoupling sounds faster than doing a full unload/reload of the toad.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #145

The 2 times I found myself boxed in and needing to break the car and dolly down, leaving the car on the dolly would make it un-moveable. It would still be in the way or pointing in the wrong direction.

Others have said they unhitched with the car on, but you need some real close backing to get back under the un-movable coupler.

As far as tongue weight, that depends on where the car is sitting on the dolly at the time. They do move around, under the straps.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:17 AM   #146
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Never thought about unhooking with the car loaded on the dolly, until this thread...can't think of a legit reason, even now.
Emergency unload, would mean the car/dolly set can't stay loaded.
Running an errand, would usually be done with the car.
Flipping the RV at a park, would usually include unloading the car.

At rest, our car's front tires are slightly forward of the dolly axle. So unloading would require a tongue jack of some sort. And re-hooking the hitch would be tricky, since the tongue would be very hard to align to with the RV.

For fueling...our car/dolly set follows the RV perfectly, so no unloading needed, in any normal pull-thru situation at the pumps.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #147

With mine all hooked up I can lift the weight off the tongue, which I estimate less than 100 lbs. Not sure I would attempt to remove with the car in place.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #148
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
This looks like it resurrected a very old thread...

I did this once and swore I'd never do it again.

The problem wasn't disconnecting, although the hitch was heavy, I put a block under it. The problem was the next morning, getting realigned and re-connected by backing the MH up. it was a pain in the rear...

The night before, we pulled into a spot, but the toad stuck out into the drive/road. So the fastest easiest thing to do was pull around and drop the dolly and the toad in a parking spot directly behind us. We disconnected the dolly and toad, then pulled the MH forward into our spot. The next morning, we'd back up, reconnect the dolly and be on our way.

NOT SO MUCH - The next morning,, the hitch was heavy and cumbersome and could not be wiggled side to side or front to back. the ball on the MH had to be perfectly lined up with the hitch. It was a real pain. The amount of time we save unhooking the dolly, we lost trying to get hooked back up. AND, There's no way to remove the car if the dolly isn't hitched up to the MH. URGH.......

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #149

Backup key

I have a boat with a backup key. The best way to hold it in is to go to your hardware store and buy a flat magnet to place over the key. Inexpensive and works great.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Khocke,
Unhooking my acme dolly with the car on the dolly and using the tongue jack works fine for me. I Use chocks or parking brake to keep the setup from moving.
My b/u camera and DW make rehooking up easy.
It is not easy to move the dolly with the car on it when unhooked from my moho, but it can be done.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #151

Real World Update for EZE tow dolly

I wanted to update the forum on my experience to date with my Acme EZE Tow Dolly. I bought it new in 2015 and this is our 3rd year on the road full time. I estimate the tow dolly has about 30,000 miles on it. We tow a 2009 Honda Odyssey. I was told before buying the tow dolly, by Acme, it could handle the Odyssey. I have the model with disk brakes, non-electric.

The good:

1. Compact
2. Light
3. Stands up; big help when space is an issue in campsite.
4. Low price compared to competitors
5. Easy to maneuver

The bad:

1. Tires.

Tires have been a major hassle. They crack/split after a few weeks of use. I did get one set free through Loadstar but the same thing happened. I was told not to use 90 psi per loadstar but it made no difference. They are expensive so I ended up continuing to use them as I can't replace them monthly. Despite the cracks they did not blow out even after being worn down.

The tow dolly does burn off the inner edges leaving the outer edges of the tires with good tread. Tire shops (all but 1) have refused to dismount and remount the tires/turn them around. Once they see the splits/cracks in tread most places won't touch them. I now have a set of Deestone tires on and they seem better, no cracking yet. I'll let you know. They were even more pricey at $150 for 2 on Amazon.

This is my fourth set though the first ones I retired early as soon as I saw the cracks (see above).

One side note: I now see that Acme is using a 12 inch rim/tire, not sure if this is why.

2. Brakes.

Getting the calipers off is a major #$%^ pain in the arse. I did have to change the brakes this past summer for the first time. When removing the caliper one has to remove the break line and this necessitates bleeding the brakes after reassembly.

Side note: when leaving it sit for more than a few days try and rotate the tires periodically or the pads will fuse in place. I usually rotate them daily in camp.

3. Bearings.

The Vault bearings are NOT maintenance free. All of the grease leaked past the inner seal on one side. I did contact Vault (UHP) and they sent me grease, seals and bearing for free. They said it happened because of mountain driving, that the grease is a hybrid, overheated and liquified. They recommend I not keep the exhaust brake on for long periods going down mountain roads, that I accelerate periodically going down hill. "How do you do that?"

4. Frame.

We were in Denver 3 weeks ago. I was checking the oil and doing a general check on things when I noticed the weld on the tow dolly was broken. It was where central shaft attaches to frame. I had to have it welded.

5. Tail light.

This popped out and was lost. I replaced it only to have it pop out again. The third one has stayed in but I did have to add zip ties to hold it in.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Overall I like the design and compactness but feel like it cannot really handle a Honda Odyssey or regular use. It might be OK for a lighter vehicle and intermittent use.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #152

Contack EZtow. I understand that they were giving the new, larger tires, to some for free.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by genopower View Post
I wanted to update the forum on my experience to date with my Acme EZE Tow Dolly. I bought it new in 2015 and this is our 3rd year on the road full time. I estimate the tow dolly has about 30,000 miles on it. We tow a 2009 Honda Odyssey. I was told before buying the tow dolly, by Acme, it could handle the Odyssey. I have the model with disk brakes, non-electric.

The good:

1. Compact

2. Light

3. Stands up; big help when space is an issue in campsite.

4. Low price compared to competitors

5. Easy to maneuver

The bad:

1. Tires.

Tires have been a major hassle. They crack/split after a few weeks of use. I did get one set free through Loadstar but the same thing happened. I was told not to use 90 psi per loadstar but it made no difference. They are expensive so I ended up continuing to use them as I can't replace them monthly. Despite the cracks they did not blow out even after being worn down.

The tow dolly does burn off the inner edges leaving the outer edges of the tires with good tread. Tire shops (all but 1) have refused to dismount and remount the tires/turn them around. Once they see the splits/cracks in tread most places won't touch them. I now have a set of Deestone tires on and they seem better, no cracking yet. I'll let you know. They were even more pricey at $150 for 2 on Amazon.

This is my fourth set though the first ones I retired early as soon as I saw the cracks (see above).

One side note: I now see that Acme is using a 12 inch rim/tire, not sure if this is why.

2. Brakes.

Getting the calipers off is a major #$%^ pain in the arse. I did have to change the brakes this past summer for the first time. When removing the caliper one has to remove the break line and this necessitates bleeding the brakes after reassembly.

Side note: when leaving it sit for more than a few days try and rotate the tires periodically or the pads will fuse in place. I usually rotate them daily in camp.

3. Bearings.

The Vault bearings are NOT maintenance free. All of the grease leaked past the inner seal on one side. I did contact Vault (UHP) and they sent me grease, seals and bearing for free. They said it happened because of mountain driving, that the grease is a hybrid, overheated and liquified. They recommend I not keep the exhaust brake on for long periods going down mountain roads, that I accelerate periodically going down hill. "How do you do that?"

4. Frame.

We were in Denver 3 weeks ago. I was checking the oil and doing a general check on things when I noticed the weld on the tow dolly was broken. It was where central shaft attaches to frame. I had to have it welded.

5. Tail light.

This popped out and was lost. I replaced it only to have it pop out again. The third one has stayed in but I did have to add zip ties to hold it in.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Overall I like the design and compactness but feel like it cannot really handle a Honda Odyssey or regular use. It might be OK for a lighter vehicle and intermittent use.

I went from the 10" to the 12" tires, but bought them from another vendor. I then swapped out the valve stems for metal clamp in so I can safely mount my TPMS sensors. Also added balance beads. They make all the difference because they are radial and the wear much better. I also change the tires myself with a couple of tire mounting spoons. I carry a full ready to mount set of spares in my basement. The 10" tires were bias and couldn't handle the dragging sideways durin tighter turns.

Had the same issues as you with the lights, ACME sent a new set and instructions for using the wire ties to hold them in. Have not lost one since but have broken two wire ties to date.

My grease leaked since the dolly was new and after the second year UFP sent me the grease and seals so I could rebuild. Found a burr on the surface the seal rides on on the passenger side. Driver side leaked out the cover. Getting the old seals out was a royal pain as the procedure for installation has you glue them in with RTV. Also, the caps are set in with red Loctite which I think was a change after I bought mine in 2014. I have not leaked any since on either side.

Brakes were a pain as the calipers are difficult to remove due to access to the bolts. I think I may try to remove the caliper pins next time to see if I can get the pads out without caliper removal. Bleeding is actually quite easy with two people and I used a DOT 4 high performance fluid with high dry and wet boiling points. If the pin idea doesn't work, then I may try to remount the calipers in another position to more easily facilitate future brake work. I did rebuild the calipers while they were off and installed new pistons. Biggest issue was the vendor I bought them from just threw them in a box so when they reached me they were full of dents and not useable. They sent a second set and this time wrapped them in bubble wrap, which they should have done from the start.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #154

My ex tow has been a pain. Iíve lost at least 3 tires. Realized that the balance was so bad it set up a vibration that shook the caliper bolts out.
Had an experienced tire guy show me that the wheel was striking the ground at 110 psi. He got it to balance and this has been the longest Iíve gone without any problems. About 4 months.

Tags
dolly