Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #15

I kind of anticipated a picture with tape holding that key in... LOL Thanks...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #16

it doesnt take much tape to hold it in place, remember you only insert it when backing the unit up which i find doesn't happen too often. you certainly wouldn't want to travel with it installed. I have just used mine for the first time and had a difficult time with the straps. First, they are not marked L&R like the video states. second the straps stretch out a lot and one even came loose to where the crossovers at 10 & 2 slipped down the tire. luckily i saw it. i suspect it was from the tight, windy, bumpy road(RTE 199 from Grants Pass to Eureka). i will try it again on the return trip and call the company to see what thestory is with the L & R and what the differenceis as they appear identical. but the rig tracked great towing a 2010 dodge avenger behind a 2011 Jayco FS.
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
Here in Washington state a license plate isn't issued for tow dolly's. They do collect a use tax when it's registered however - no surprise there.
I thought a license was required if it was towed with no vehicle on it?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd1985 View Post
I have just used mine for the first time and had a difficult time with the straps. First, they are not marked L&R like the video states. second the straps stretch out a lot and one even came loose to where the crossovers at 10 & 2 slipped down the tire. luckily i saw it. i suspect it was from the tight, windy, bumpy road(RTE 199 from Grants Pass to Eureka).
If your straps are identical, then there might be a problem...if you have 2 strap mounts (d-rings) on the front and rear of the frame platform, then you need the straps to be set-up for the specific side of the dolly...mirror layout of each other.

If you have the newer "rack mount" ratchet mount, then your straps may work differently than older models.

Mine were marked L and R by the original owner and that's because there was no other markings.

As a starting point, I put the large metal hoop on the outside front of the tire - hook the rear hooks to the frame - finish by connecting the front hooks and tighten the ratchet.

The straps will stretch over time...mine still stretch over time and need checking/tightening over the trip. This is normal for all web strapping that I have used.

More picture and videos are here:
Acme Eze Tow Dolly is the Best Heavy Duty Tow Dolly - See For Yourself! | Car Tow Dolly

Best luck
Attached Images

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #19

Quote:
I have just used mine for the first time and had a difficult time with the straps. First, they are not marked L&R like the video states. second the straps stretch out a lot and one even came loose to where the crossovers at 10 & 2 slipped down the tire.

My straps never streched that much, and just put the strap with the metal
ring on the outside of the tire. After a few times it gets very easy.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I thought a license was required if it was towed with no vehicle on it?
According to the agency where I went to have a title issued, one isn't needed. When I asked your question, they said there were no exceptions shown on the DOL website they use.

Perhaps that's based on a dolly sometimes having to be towed unloaded to where it's needed to be used to tow a vehicle.

Time will tell although I don't expect to tow it unloaded at this point.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #21

I picked up my Acme EZE-Tow Dolly this past Monday, 5/14/2012. Brandon and his EZE-Tow team were very professional, customer focused and great. I towed my Toyota Corolla the approx. 150 miles home in a very heavy downpour of rain and hardly knew it was back there. The surge disk brakes are great. This dolly is a great buy for the price.
RVNYORKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #22

i have the rack mount ratchet that only have D-ring hooks at the rear. and I'm pretty sure that what Sequim Guy said is where i went wrong on the one that loosened. i'll try again on the return trip and make sure my metal loop on fron is outside the tire. I'm sure it will get easier as I do it more.
I have checked a few different states and they all told me that as long as a licensed vehicle is on the dolly, it is considered that vehicles axle so no trailer license is required unless you tow it empty which i will never do.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #23

Quote:
i have the rack mount ratchet that only have D-ring hooks at the rear. and I'm pretty sure that what Sequim Guy said is where i went wrong on the one that loosened. i'll try again on the return trip and make sure my metal loop on fron is outside the tire. I'm sure it will get easier as I do it more.
I have checked a few different states and they all told me that as long as a licensed vehicle is on the dolly, it is considered that vehicles axle so no trailer license is required unless you tow it empty which i will never do.

I watched the video on the ACME web site again, and it showed the metal
ring on the outside of the tire. Yes, it will get easier every time you hook
them up...
Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #24

I have towed my Taurus SHO on several trips of over 900 miles and after 50 miles recheck the straps and have to retighten the ratchets a couple of notches. I recheck at every pit stop. The biggest problem is getting the straps behind the big tires on the SHO, but it gets easier.
ChiefW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #25

Are you folks using any lights in addition to those on your Eze-Tow? I am told that is all that is needed, seems as though I need more on the rear of the toad.
RVNYORKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #26

I use magnetic LED lights that I put on top of the toad at rear,
and don't even bother with the dolly tail lights.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #27

Another option...

I wanted to be able to tow the dolly with the toad if need be (like getting stuck in a situation where I have to back out and need the van to tow the unloaded dolly). So I bought a trailer hitch for our Caravan. That meant setting it up for trailer lights. When I bought the wiring kit for the Caravan it turned out to be a super simple installation. Just remove the tail lights, pull the plug out of the bulb holder and plug the pre-made wiring harness adaptors between the two. It even came with the flat four connector for the trailer connection already installed.

That was when I had an idea. If I ran a wire harness from the back of the toad to the dolly tongue all I would have to do is plug it into the the wiring connector on the back of the motorhome. Instant toad tail lights while on the dolly.

I bought a length of flat 4 color coded trailer wire that comes in a tough sheathed cover and I'll run it up the underside of the van. I figure I can store the motorhome end in the engine compartment when its not needed.

And if I ever need to tow with the van, all I need to do is break the connection back at the hitch and plug the other end into the dolly (or anything I choose to tow).

I'm in the process of starting the installation but I really don't see any downside for my use.

Just a thought.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #28

i use magnetic lights along with the dolly lights. I just bought a universal wiring kit with diodes to install on the dodge in place of the mag lights but haven't had a chance to install them yet. My feeling it the more lights the better!

Tags
dolly