Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #29

Where do you get the universal wiring kits with diodes? I do need more lights on the tail of my toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all EzeTow Dolly's have the Lock-Out Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I am gonna recant my comment about having problems reaching a human at Acme...I just called to ask about the mysterious "key" used to lock-out the brakes for backing...I got Brandon on the line immediatly.

Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company at 336-996-4396

So, if there is a question, don't e-mail - call them.

Brandon was very helpful, described the device, and directed me to the blog section of the website to see a picture of it:

Attachment 21141

I didn't get one of these when I bought my Ezetow dolly second hand. It will be much easier to use this than adding a servo to lock-out the brakes like my boat trailer has.

Thanks to Brandon and those here that told me about getting the pin with thier dolly.
Well, I checked my Dolly today and discovered why I didn't get a key with it upon purchase...there's no hole in my surge brake actuator like the one I posted from their website...hmmmm, so the key wouldn't work.

It was manufactred in 03/2011, which is only about a year ago! I'm going to have to call Brandon back and see if they had a different set-up.

Is there anyone else out there that doesn't have the lock-out key? And, if so what do you do to back-up?

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #31

tow dolly

we also have one about 2 years old. went to Niagara Falls last year. only problem encountered is the tail lights coming off. Acme replaced them once. not sure why they were tight when installed, star washers...
operates fine for the cost. beware of the straps loosening.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
we also have one about 2 years old. went to Niagara Falls last year. only problem encountered is the tail lights coming off. Acme replaced them once. not sure why they were tight when installed, star washers...
operates fine for the cost. beware of the straps loosening.

My tail lights came loose too, probably the constant vibration. Just replace
the nuts with aircraft style/nylon insert lock nuts and you will never have a
problem again. A sure cure for about a buck.

All straps loosen slightly, nature of the beast.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNYORKIE View Post
Where do you get the universal wiring kits with diodes? I do need more lights on the tail of my toad.
the kit is Roadmaster part number 154. I got it at Camping World. as long as both vehicles have combined brake and turn signal lights it is all you need. i plan on installing it in the next few weeks, i'll let you know how it goes. We just got back from our trip with the dolly and the return trip was delightfully uneventful. the straps have gotten softer so they dont dig into the tires anymore and after the initial stretch, they posed no problems at all. Sequim was correct as well, they seemed to go on a lot easier!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disc brake Lock-Out "Key"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Well, I checked my Dolly today and discovered why I didn't get a key with it upon purchase...there's no hole in my surge brake actuator like the one I posted from their website...hmmmm, so the key wouldn't work.

It was manufactred in 03/2011, which is only about a year ago! I'm going to have to call Brandon back and see if they had a different set-up.

Is there anyone else out there that doesn't have the lock-out key? And, if so what do you do to back-up?
To refresh, I bought my EZE tow second hand and didn't get the key...
Called Brandon today about the Disc Brake Lock-out "key." Now know that I misunderstood what was featured in the pictures...there is no hole through the inside actuator tube.

So, the "key" has a "D" shaped plug that fits into the actuator slot(?). That makes sense...and now I better understand why the picture shows scotchtape over the slide hole as a semi-permanent mount
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #35

Reading these posts want me to go out and get an amce tow dolly. Will this dolly be good for 2012 Kia Soul? The car is automatic transmission.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #36

With a curb weight of around 2700 lbs for the Kia Soul, the ACME dolly could
almost handle 2 of them.
There would be no problem, you wouldn't even know it was back there...

Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post
Reading these posts want me to go out and get an amce tow dolly. Will this dolly be good for 2012 Kia Soul? The car is automatic transmission.
Research says that not only -CAN- you dolly tow the Kia Soul w/ AT, but seems that you -MUST- use a dolly or trailer...Motorhome Magazine, EHow and Etrailer all agree that the Kia w/ Manual Tranny will flat tow fine, but not the Auto.

And Ramco does not have a Tranny pump for the Soul w/ AT.

Also, I have read that these things are often decided by the warrantee...what does your Owners Manual say about towing the car?

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I bought me Acme EZE Tow Dolly last year and after a trip to Yuma, AZ from Seattle, WA with a PT Cruiser on it I was very very very pleased with it. I just returned home a short time ago after a 10K plus trip and I am not a happy camper at all now.

We left Seattle with our Town & Country Van on the Dolly, and upon arrival in Bullhead City, AZ discovered one of the tie down chains had parted in the middle. I assumed I had done something wrong, but went back to the Acme web site and watched their video again and decided it must have been a defective link in the chain. Bought some detachable links and off I went.

In Sonora, TX a truck driver waved me over, stopped and explained that my left side dolly tire was smoking. Checked and the tire was not hot, but the hub was warmer then I thought it should be, but could not see any problems so on we went.

On to FL and down into the Keys with no apparent problems, but when leaving the keys I forgot and could not find a place to stop and check the tie downs. Just before reaching the mainland my Daughter said she heard a chain type noise, but there was no place to stop and all looked good in the rear-view camera. But when I was able to stop I found the tie-down on the passenger side had worked loose and I had lost the ratchet. With the detachable links I had bought bought back in Bullhead City, AZ I was able to rig a safety tied down on the passenger side and went on our way.

Since we were going through NC to Williamsburg, MD, I emailed Acme and made arrangements to change my route a little and stop at their offices to get new parts on a Saturday (No they are not open on Sat, but I was met there and sold the parts I wanted/needed) and I was very pleased and got new ratchets, chains and ramps as they had a new model and I had damaged one of mine on slick concrete loading the PT Cruiser last year.

Well when we arrived in Annapolis, MD I had a back in site and had to disconnect the dolly and move it around by hand (I had done this a couple other time getting to this point and never noted any problems) and noticed that the inside of the left or drivers side brake disk was all chewed up. Upon closer inspection I found that just that one side was damaged with the lining totally gone on that pad. I assumed that it had picked up a rock or something that jammed it, but I could not find anything as I inspected it.

Contacted Acme again and explained what I had found and that I needed a new Hub/Disk and two new pads for the left/drivers side of the dolly. Well they charged me for a complete caliper assembly and sent that rather then just the pads I had ask for. Ok, I assume there must be a reason and I get ready to assemble everything and then I discover I need special grease for the hub to maintain the warranty. I then get referred to another company that actually makes the axle assembly for the Acme Dollies.

After talking to them they sent me at no charge the grease, an O-Ring I needed and a special tool for installing the final seal on the hub. When I got all of this stuff I only had a few days left on my stay in Annapolis, MD so I got to work putting it all together so I could roll on down the road.

Then the fun started all over... When I went to install the brake caliper on the left side, I discovered that the mounting plate was not square to the disk and the caliper assemble would not go on without the inside pad dragging on the disk. Dang, what to do now as I am out of time and have to move on. Ok I left the caliper assemble off and removed the one on the right side as well, so no brakes..

Worked just fine without brakes and I never noticed a bit of difference going down the road and I drove up into NJ and then home to Seattle on I-90.. But that was not the end of the troubles with the Acme EZE Tow Dolly by a long shot. I pulled into get gas in Cody, WY before heading into Yellowstone National Park and thought I should gas up the T&C Van also. I filled the MH, then move up to fill the van and when I went back I noticed that the passenger side tire on the dolly was worn down through the cords. Upon inspecting the drivers side I found it was just starting to wear into the cords.

Now what the heck do I do? Well I located a tire shop with the GPS and headed out to talk to them after unloading the van. Wouldn't you know it, they did not have the size I needed in stock, but they said they could have a pair by noon the next day. Ok I do a unplanned night in Cody, WY because I sure will not make it far with my existing tires on the dolly. Nope that is still not the end of the problems story.

When I get to the tire store with the motorhome and unhook the dolly, I notice the right read corner is not only cracked, but total broken and the tail light is broken and the lens missing like it had been hit by something. Closer inspection showed that the crack had been developing over some time and that the other side had a similar crack started. Neither the broken corner or the crack on the other side would prevent the dolly from being use, so after new tires the next day on we went until returning home.

A few days after getting back to Seattle, I took the dolly to the shop where I have my automotive work done and ask then to reinstall the brakes on the dolly. I explained to them what I have described above and they started taking measurements and found that the backing plate for mounting the disk calipers on the drivers side was not properly aligned with the brake disk/hub and determined that was what caused my pad to drag/wear out and eat the inside of the brake disk..

So back to the MFG of the axle and sent them photos of the misalignment, frame cracks and other problems and told them I felt it was a warranty issue. I was told they would take the photos to their engineers last Monday 7/2/12 and get back to me. While waiting to hear from them I took the dolly to a welding shop that also makes trailers and talked to them about the cracks and broken section. They also believe I have a valid warranty issue and recommend I do nothing until I get that resolved.

That is where I am at at this time and I guess I will wait until this time next week if I have not gotten a response I guess it will be time to check into a law suit.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I wanted to paint the whole picture.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #39

If you get time, could you post some of the pictures? i would sure like to check mine out before i take it to Wyoming.
thanks
John
Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake disk & inside shoe 5-1-12.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	23323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack runs through both welds and forward to the tape in the angle heel.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	23324  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear Corner Break.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	23325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side crack-break 6-29-12 #3.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	23326  

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Mochisme Ted, it looks like you need to change your seals. the bottom bolt on the caliper bracket is a buger to get off. the nut is very close to the axle and you may need a thin wall socket to get it off. plus that it is close to the frame so you can not use a rachet. one side was worse then the other. I found the axle company very good to work with. I talked to a guy a named Dennis and he was very helpfull. that break looks like that would be acme's dept. the way I understood it the axle company assembled the axle and hubs then sent them to acme.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Here are some photos.
I see you bought this dolly 1 year ago, but this trailer looks like it is a lot older than 1 year old. Did you buy it used? Any ideas how old and how many miles?
I ask because mine is 2 years old and still looks new. My tires don't look like yours and your the seals leaking indicated age and wear.
I have a brake disk that looks to have been over heated - miss-colored, so I intend to look for the miss alignment you mentioned - thanks.
I have seen the strap issues you mention, but those are common with any nylon tow straps. You must check and re-tighten them.
The chains are another common issue - a previous post mentions a hardware store fix that I use (don't know what it is callled, but it is a 'C' clamp with a threaded slide to close it up).
And, my lights came loose as well - another post adddressed this as well.
But, I like it and these are all minor issues you can deal with if you know to catch them early.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly