Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I reached a settlement with Acme Tow Dolly over my Dolly issues this morning and have a new Acme Tow Dolly in route and I pay just for shipping. I think they are happy and I am happy. I still like the Acme Tow Dolly and all in all I am happy with how they have dealt with me throughout my ordeal and I would still recommend them to people looking for a Tow Dolly.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd1985 View Post
Going through eastern Montana (flat) last week i cruised easily at 69mph occasionally going 75 eatsbound (downwind) with no problems. Westbound (headwind) i never go over 60 - 65 even without the dolly! It takes too much gas. i think the hardest wear on the tires is manouvering at gas stations. i noticed it leaves rubber on the pavement when you turn too sharp.
I think you are 100% correct that tight turns cause the dolly to be drug sideways and scrub the tires. I believe it is related to the overhang of the coach behind the rear tires, it just whips around faster then the dolly can track and drags the dolly sideways and it is not just gas stations where this occurs.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #87
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Well I reached a settlement with Acme Tow Dolly over my Dolly issues this morning and have a new Acme Tow Dolly in route and I pay just for shipping. I think they are happy and I am happy. I still like the Acme Tow Dolly and all in all I am happy with how they have dealt with me throughout my ordeal and I would still recommend them to people looking for a Tow Dolly.
Ted,
What will become of your poor old and cracked dolly?

Does Acme want it back for scientific study?

Surely, you will be keeping the tires as spares(?)
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hark582 View Post
Hi! I would like some feedback from owners of the Acme EZE-tow dolly. How does it handle? Is it reliable? How is the customer service? Any problems?
The dolly worked fine until a seal blew, Acme and the brake manufacturer would not stand behind the warranty because I did not contact them in the manner they wanted. I was 700 miles from home in the middle of no where on mothers day weekend. Since the owner of Acme went in the hospital service is bad. I sold mine and would not buy another. Not all american made some parts from out of the country.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Ted,
What will become of your poor old and cracked dolly?

Does Acme want it back for scientific study?

Surely, you will be keeping the tires as spares(?)
1. I still have it, new one is scheduled to be delivered today.

2. No! I offered and they said no thanks keep it.

3. No, the new one is just the metal, I have to switch the tires over, maybe the lights (not sure on the lights), maybe the fenders, no ramps, no straps, no rachets. But I have good tires, new lights I bought when I was at their shop in April, as well as a spare set of ramps and Rachets, and the original straps that have only been used to take some photos for posting a few days ago.

Richard Brown the Owner of Acme as I understand it, has Cancer and so has been off now and again fighting that battle, but he is who I worked with on this, and I can not say anything but good in my dealings with him, he is a class act in my books and has been everytime I have talked with him.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek View Post
The dolly worked fine until a seal blew, Acme and the brake manufacturer would not stand behind the warranty because I did not contact them in the manner they wanted. I was 700 miles from home in the middle of no where on mothers day weekend. Since the owner of Acme went in the hospital service is bad. I sold mine and would not buy another. Not all american made some parts from out of the country.
I find that surprizing as I have had what I would call "OUTSTANDING" service from both places. At Acme I had mostly dealt with Richard Brown, but also Brandon, and at UFP a Dennis Bacus and they all provided me with great customer service and I think I had a few more problems then you and I was over 3,000 miles from home.

Sorry you had a bad experence, but mine have been fine.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek View Post

My dealings with Richard Brown at ACME are the same as Mochisme, they
have been great. The only problems I have ever had with my dolly were my
own fault.... and Richard still helped me out with great service, and very
friendly too.

I don't understand what you mean about "not contact them in the manner they wanted".
Phone and email contact have been great for me, please tell us how you
contacted them, and what made them unwilling to help you.
I personally can't give your post much credibility without more details.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I received my new Acme Tow Dolly today. Installed the new lights I had, switched tires and fenders off the old Dolly and as soon as I can torque the lug nuts and check the brake fluid she be ready to roll.

The stripped down damaged Dolly has taken temporary residence in the side yard leaning on the neighbors fence..
Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #93
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
I received my new Acme Tow Dolly today. Installed the new lights I had, switched tires and fenders off the old Dolly and as soon as I can torque the lug nuts and check the brake fluid she be ready to roll.

The stripped down damaged Dolly has taken temporary residence in the side yard leaning on the neighbors fence..
Ted,
Congrats!! I think that says volumes about Acme's customer service - not to discount the severity of the failure that you lived through.

Did you get the slide rack style or the simpler "D" ring system for the straps?

I think I would prefer the simpler "D" ring set-up (no wrench needed) but maybe the fancy slide rack will be standard. I have to admit that it seems a single mount in front of the tire would be easier to load/check/unload.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ted,
Congrats!! I think that says volumes about Acme's customer service - not to discount the severity of the failure that you lived through.

Did you get the slide rack style or the simpler "D" ring system for the straps?

I think I would prefer the simpler "D" ring set-up (no wrench needed) but maybe the fancy slide rack will be standard. I have to admit that it seems a single mount in front of the tire would be easier to load/check/unload.
My original Dolly came with "D" Rings front and rear, one of the users here posted about an upgrade to the slide and so I went and looked at the video and then place an order. At that point I had used the dolly for about three miles to burn the preservative off the disks as recommended.

Parts came (Slide Racks, Ratchets, New Straps and Chains) and I had the slide racks welded on and elected to use the chain tie down. So I have both the original straps and the newer straps.

The new Dolly has the slide rack and I am under the impression that that is the standard configuration today. It includes a bolt at the outside end of the slide rack so then Ratchet can not fall out if it come loose (I lost one like this coming out of the FL Keys) assuming you install the bolt after the ratchet is in the slide rack.

After playing with the straps to take those photos the other day and checking out a couple car carriers, I like the new straps and think they will be no problem at all.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
slide rack system? how about some pics. my new one came with the straps with a "D" ring.

i understand that they had discontinued the "ARS" system that used a chain to wrap around the suspension, and then tightened at the winch end. not sure i understand why they even made this since it prevents the wheels from turning, which is critical to the operation of this type of dolly. since it tied down the suspension, rather than the wheel (like a strap does) it clearly provides no method for the dolly/car to steer into the turns.

i wondered about the "D" ring staps that came with mine. however, looking at the Demco style staps, i thing the "D" ring style tightens up a bit more on the wheel and provides a bit more secure fit.

if this rack system is something different, how about posting some pics?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #96
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post
slide rack system? how about some pics. my new one came with the straps with a "D" ring.

From the previous posts...notice the front single strap:
Slide rack-
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide rack.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	24278

Name:   slide rack2.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  42.1 KB

D ring-

Name:   Eze-towDring.png
Views: 1504
Size:  158.2 KB
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
From the previous posts...notice the front single strap:
Slide rack-
Attachment 24278
Attachment 24279

D ring-
Attachment 24280
that is the same that i just received on my new dolly. 'ppreciate the pics
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post

i understand that they had discontinued the "ARS" system that used a chain to wrap around the suspension, and then tightened at the winch end. not sure i understand why they even made this since it prevents the wheels from turning, which is critical to the operation of this type of dolly. since it tied down the suspension, rather than the wheel (like a strap does) it clearly provides no method for the dolly/car to steer into the turns.

i wondered about the "D" ring staps that came with mine. however, looking at the Demco style staps, i thing the "D" ring style tightens up a bit more on the wheel and provides a bit more secure fit.

Acme has discontinued recommending the chains. I used the chains and they did not interfer with my wheels turning in anyway on either my PT Cruiser or my Town & Country Van, so I am not sure how you see them being installed to do that.

Here are a couple photos I took this morning of the new Dolly with the old tires & Fenders installed and ready to roll which it will do Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3459.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	628.6 KB
ID:	24323   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3460.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	622.4 KB
ID:	24324  

Tags