Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
how close to level is your dolly when towing? their web site says the coupler height needs to be between 12 to 16 inches high. in order for my acme dolly to sit level it would have to be about 9 inches to the bottom of the coupler, which seems like it may drag sometimes. everything I read says the closer to level the better your surge brake works.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #100

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Acme has discontinued recommending the chains. I used the chains and they did not interfer with my wheels turning in anyway on either my PT Cruiser or my Town & Country Van, so I am not sure how you see them being installed to do that.

Here are a couple photos I took this morning of the new Dolly with the old tires & Fenders installed and ready to roll which it will do Saturday.
video I saw a video of the ARS showing the chains going around the axle/suspension, then tightening up with a strap hooked to the winch. this setup ties the axle/suspension down to the dolly (not the wheel), so i can't see how the wheel would be able to turn separate from the suspension. don't have ARS, so maybe the video that they provided was misleading. but doesn't make much difference now, since they have discontinued it.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #101

Be careful not to allow the inside strap to chafe against anything on the inside of your wheel/suspension. I learned this lesson on my first use of my ACME dolly. Both main straps were seriously damaged by chafing against something back there. I'll have to order new straps after only about 500 miles. It did tow well though...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
how close to level is your dolly when towing? their web site says the coupler height needs to be between 12 to 16 inches high. in order for my acme dolly to sit level it would have to be about 9 inches to the bottom of the coupler, which seems like it may drag sometimes. everything I read says the closer to level the better your surge brake works.
Good point(s) - I have the same problem with my set-up. It is currently riding a bit nose-high, but seems to work fine...with my 8" drop-down hitch, the ball is at 18" above the ground.

The surge brake would be my only concern - since having the tray a little high in the front is good to keep the car on the dolly in a hard stop situation.

I don't have this problem when using the dolly with my pick-up because the receiver is about 3 inches lower than the one on my MH. But, I have noticed no difference in the way the dolly tracks with either tow.

There was a whole discussion here about the issues of using a big drop hitch:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/drop-...em-129622.html
-Warning Notice- The OP has a link to some pics of carnage
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #103

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello Acme dolly owners!
Is there a recommended maintenance schedule for the wheel bearings? If so, what and how would you go about doing it? And if there is, and also needed, where would you find the bearings for it? Would you recommend maybe to install a set of bearing buddies on your dolly? Thanks ahead of time.
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreek7 View Post
Hello Acme dolly owners!
Is there a recommended maintenance schedule for the wheel bearings? If so, what and how would you go about doing it? And if there is, and also needed, where would you find the bearings for it? Would you recommend maybe to install a set of bearing buddies on your dolly? Thanks ahead of time.
There are some older ones out there with hubs that require PM's, but for all the newer dolly's the manual says:
Acme Tow Dolly " EZE-TOW" Car Tow Dolly- Online Owners manual | Car Tow Dolly
MAINTENANCE
If your car tow dolly is equipped with the "VAULT" hubs, no maintenance is required. Vault hubs should be inspected once every five years. The following information does not apply to the new Vault Hub design.

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake parts

Has anyone replaced the brake pads on their EZE-Tow. Mine are not yet in need of change, but they will.

The ACME website lists them for $60 a pair...here:
The Toughest, Lighest Car Tow Dolly For Sale! Acme Car Tow Dolly Company Specializes In Tow Dollies For Sale The Toughest, Lighest Car Tow Dolly For Sale! Acme Car Tow Dolly Company Specializes In Tow Dollies For Sale | Car Tow Dolly
But that's steep for just a set of brake pads...if they are standard to something else(?)

Any ideas from the brain trust?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #106

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Has anyone replaced the brake pads on their EZE-Tow. Mine are not yet in need of change, but they will.

The ACME website lists them for $60 a pair...here:
The Toughest, Lighest Car Tow Dolly For Sale! Acme Car Tow Dolly Company Specializes In Tow Dollies For Sale The Toughest, Lighest Car Tow Dolly For Sale! Acme Car Tow Dolly Company Specializes In Tow Dollies For Sale | Car Tow Dolly
But that's steep for just a set of brake pads...if they are standard to something else(?)

Any ideas from the brain trust?
documentation that came with my new ACME dolly states that the pads are from a 1997-2000 Kia Sephia. looks like you can go to most parts stores and purchase them. don't know the price however.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post
documentation that came with my new ACME dolly states that the pads are from a 1997-2000 Kia Sephia. looks like you can go to most parts stores and purchase them. don't know the price however.
Same here but i havent tried them yet, let us know if they work for sure
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
I know the wheel seals from the kia are the same. here are the front brake pads from auto zone. Brake Pads - Front | 1999 Kia Sephia 4 Cylinders 1.8L MFI DOHC | AutoZone.com $15 to $37 range. has anyone relaced the straps and if so did you have to back to acme to get them?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #109

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I know the wheel seals from the kia are the same. here are the front brake pads from auto zone. Brake Pads - Front | 1999 Kia Sephia 4 Cylinders 1.8L MFI DOHC | AutoZone.com $15 to $37 range. has anyone relaced the straps and if so did you have to back to acme to get them?
if you mean dolly straps, i went back to ACME for the adjustable ones they offer. i tried a "Demco" style, but i felt the adjustable one from ACME was a bit better. couldn't find them anywhere else other than ACME. Bad part, is that ACME is proud of them and a bit pricey compared to the Demco style straps.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #110

Just order
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #111

Just ordered some straps from Amazon that look like they'll be much quicker and easier to use. I think they're just under $25 for each. Will post my opinion when I try them.
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcritter View Post
Just ordered some straps from Amazon that look like they'll be much quicker and easier to use. I think they're just under $25 for each. Will post my opinion when I try them.
Do have a link to where you ordered them from?

Tags
dolly