Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Acme EZE Tow Dolly

Just got home pulling an Acme EZE Tow/surge brakes. We will be using it to dolly our Chevy Equinox behind or Tiffin Allegro Bus. I have been doing quite a bit of research and this is what I landed on. Bought it new with an extra spare. It looks awesome...led tail/brake lights.
I am NOT going to debate the age old debate of HOW to tow a vehicle behind your RV....lets just say to each their own...tow with what makes you happy and safe.
We originally were NOT going to tow anything...but after much research we decided that we really needed something to explore with instead of the 40 foot DP.
Just curious what everyone else is using?
Question: does one HAVE to put magnetic tow lights on the towed vehicle??...AND I do not see where one needs to license the dolly...input??
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

Licensing depends on the state. Some require it, some don't. Check with your state DMV office.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I "believe" that car dolly licensing is based on your home state registration...in this case it's an extension of the toad. Again, that's my belief...I could be wrong, but have yet to be stopped for a dolly without plates*.

*This includes too many military moves - where the car was towed behind a Uhaul on a rented dolly...Uhaul never had plates on any dollies I ever rented.

Canada and Mexico require plates. And the Acme EZE tow is Canada compliant (something about placards printed in English and French).

We have a 2011 vintage Acme EZE-tow and it has never let us down in over 10,000miles. Have towed everything from a tiny 2 door sub-compact to an E250 15Pax van (dropped the driveshaft).

Be warned...having a dolly can make you the local emergency tow service for friends and family

Congrats and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

I looked at magnetic lights but went with a diode kit instead. They also have wireless magnetic lights. Some simply put them in the back window rather than outside on the car. I am using the ACME as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:02 AM   #5

Hey vettenuts, please explain "diode kit". I too use the Eze tow and have used magnetic lights but have found that the wire running back to the lights on the trunk vibrates and leaves marks on the car.

To the OP, I don't think you have to use lights on the car but I personally felt safer doing so. Have never had a license plate on the tow dolly
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:47 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Having lights on the car is a big safety factor, especially at night. I made a "Y" cord that plugs into the dolly lights and the TOAD lights.

Diodes are like a one-way valve for electricity, they only allow electric to flow one way.

Diodes provide isolation so that if you turn on the TOAD lights, it will not power the MH lights.

Another feature of the diodes, Many cars use Amber lights as the turn signals and Red lights as the brake lights. Most HM TOAD hookups will use the TOADS brake lights as the turn signal and the brake light. i.e. when you turn on the left turn signal, the left red brake light blinks. Without the Diodes, this would not be possible.

On both the vehicles that I regularly tow, I did not use diodes, I installed a plug under the hood and it connects directly to the cars front lights. i.e. left and right turn signals and running lights. The only negative about this, when I put on the MH brakes, instead of the cars stop lights coming on, the turn signal lights come on, the amber turn signal lights light up instead of the cars brake lights.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #7

Yes, previous post explains it well. I have a trailer plug on my car now hidden in the grill. Makes hookup easy. Also made a dual 7 pin to 4 pin so I plug in the car and the dolly into the same cable.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly