Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
ACME EZE Tow Dolly on Order Questions and a Rant

The Rant
I searched across the country for a good price on a used ACME Tow Dolly and they were not to be found - except for a few that by the time I shipped would cost as much or more than new or saving so little it was not worth buying used.

For instance one in NJ for $1950 with a spare tire and strap. New shipped to me without the extra strap was $2079. I guess most people try and sell for as little loss as possible and think just subtracting from the total with shipping works. That does not work unless your local as I still have to pay to ship it or go pick it up myself. In fact, if I was local to this guy I would drive the hour plus to NC and get a new one for less.

For instance the factory is closer to me than NJ, so the cost would have been $1800 with the extra strap and spare tire. That is still $150 less and is under warranty.

I missed one about 500 miles from me with the older ramps for $1000 that from the pictures looked excellent and claimed to have been never used. I hesitated because of the older ramps and not completely sure I wanted a dolly vs spending lots more on another vehicle plus equipment for it to go 4 down.

End of my rant

My questions, how long does it usually take to ship - I'm in Monterey CA? What additional things will I want or need? I have a 10k/1k hitch and I see an electrical connection with a wire tied adapter in it. My rig has the 10k tow capacity and I'm no where near overloaded and will tow a 2900 lb Prius.

Do I need additional lights for the car or are the dolly lights sufficient? I'm pretty sure I don't need to register, but that it is an option to add in CA for use in other states.

CA DMV:
Quote:
A tow dolly is not required to be registered, but may be registered under the PTI Program.
Tow dolly operators who plan to operate their tow dollies in other states are encouraged to apply for PTI, as other states may require indicia on these specialized trailers.
I'm going to need the parts from the 2" ball to the receiver with a double hitch setup since my bike rack will be on the same hitch. The double hitch setups I have seen so far lower my capacity to 5K and I assume the tongue weight capacity also to 500 lbs. I should still be OK with that limit as the Prius should be around 174 to 261 lbs tongue weight(10-15% according to ACME) and the bike rack and bike weight about 40 lbs, but would prefer it to be a little better with adapters that don't cut my capacity in half.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for you missing the used dollies...it is what it is. They say, the good ones go fast.

For the Q's:
Acme ships by LTL freight - door to door. Acme could tell you an approx. date considering their build schedule and your address.

It ships complete. The mounted spare is a good option, but we have never used ours (Murphy's law at it's best).

Your 10K hitch is more than stout enough for the max GVWR of the dolly. The dolly will need the basic 4 prong trailer wire connection.
-WARNING- If your RV has no trailer connector AND has separate brake and turn lights in back, you will need a trailer wire adapter/converter - Like: https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...s/HM48895.html
because the dolly uses combined turn/brake light elements.

CA requires for driving at night, a 6 candle power tail (marker) light to be placed at the rear most corners of any vehicle. The dolly lights are adequate for turn and brake, but to be TOTALLY legal, a set of small red marker lights must be on the rear of the car.
-NOTE- We have never been confronted about this by L/E, but after discovering this rule, when driving at night (a rare thing for us) we just switch on the toad's parking lights...they can run for hours with little battery draw.

Dolly registration is offered by the CA DMV, (the 5 year PTI for $10) but is not required. It IS required if you are driving into Mexico or Canada. I know of no US states that currently require dolly registration for out of state visitors - but I could be wrong. I would check with Acme about that.

The tongue of the EZE-Tow should be between 12"-14" off the ground (that's level or a tiny bit nose high) for the surge brakes to work best.

We use one of these for the bike rack: Dual Hitch Extender
This is usually on the back of our car (we added a receiver on the car for this use and to move the dolly if needed).
The extender is rated for 4000lb and can be used with either receiver up as desired. If you want heavier, look for a Class IV dual hitch.
Like: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../RM-077-4.html

If you still need more drop like us, we use a drop hitch rated for 5000lb to get to the required tongue height:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0107141132.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	105260
This photo is without the dual hitch.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #3

I had a chance to purchase a never used EZE Tow about 60 miles from my house but he wanted $1700.00 with no extras and so I decided to pay the little extra for the new one from the factory with a spare tire.

I ordered it on a Thursday and it delivered to my company warehouse in Colorado the next Tue. Unbelievably quick and everything was in order. Took less then an hour to uncrate and put the fenders on. I did have to add some DOT 3 brake fluid to the reservoir to top it off.

I just got it and I have not used it. Next step for me is to figure out how to protect the Mini Cooper Paceman from getting damaged by stones and road debris. I'm thinking Protect a Tow.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Scarab0088 for the help and information

I followed your link to the etrailer roadmaster dual hitch and there it states:
Quote:
Note: Designed for flat towing only. Do not use to tow a trailer or a tow dolly.
I don't see that disclaimer elsewhere on other dual receivers. But on the Roadmaster site it says:
Quote:
With this dual-purpose hitch receiver, you can add a bike carrier or other hitch accessory to the rear of your motorhome not for use with any type of trailer.
and
Quote:
10,000-pound capacity; 400-pound maximum tongue weight
They are a little confusing in their description so I am looking at a CURT Multi-Use Ball Mount #45810. I just don't know if the combination of my bike rack and EZE Tow will work. Plus I don't know my drop or rise height yet.

I will look at a hitch and adapter for my Prius too.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Ruddog, maybe 7 or 8 days. Maybe I will find out tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #6

Hi Mike,

I think you'll like your Acme Dolly. It took less than a week earlier this year for mine to be delivered to Orlando. The carrier called me a day ahead of time and they showed up pretty much on time. The driver had some trouble getting the crate off his truck, and the un-crating was not quite as easy as described in Acmes video.

I also looked for a while for a used unit. I found 2, one was older and did not have the newer ramps or lights, and the second was a 2 hour drive from my house and the guy was selling it out of a motel in Tampa. With the high price of used Dolly's, all the Craigslist scams and rip offs, I decided to buy new.

The only issue I see with using the bike rack adapter is making sure the tongue is at the right angle so the surge brakes work correctly. I assume the bikes will be sufficiently spaced from the front of your car so they don't hit. I have a reciever type bike carrier and keep them there when towing
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Thanks Scarab0088 for the help and information

I followed your link to the etrailer roadmaster dual hitch and there it states:

I don't see that disclaimer elsewhere on other dual receivers. But on the Roadmaster site it says: and

They are a little confusing in their description so I am looking at a CURT Multi-Use Ball Mount #45810. I just don't know if the combination of my bike rack and EZE Tow will work. Plus I don't know my drop or rise height yet.

I will look at a hitch and adapter for my Prius too.
The addition of any hitch extender is like a lever and will increase the forces on the receiver. So, instead of adding an extender for the bike rack, why not use a bike rack that slips over the hitch bar - like the Swagman Receiver Slide Over 3 Bike Rack: http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-64600-.../dp/B0009NZL34

Should work with any drop hitch needed.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a 2 year old one in Southern Ohio for $1200. surge brake, spare tire, straps, chains, LED lights, etc. When I seen it pop up on e-bay, I called immediately, jumped in my car and headed south with cash in hand.

I wasn't particularly looking to buy one, but I use the dolly a few times a year.. AND, $1,200 was a great deal ($1,600 new, without spare tire)

This will replace my old road master that broke an axle a couple years ago.

LIGHTS

I made a "Y" cord that plugs into the dolly and my TOAD, both lights work, the dolly and the TOAD.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The addition of any hitch extender is like a lever and will increase the forces on the receiver. So, instead of adding an extender for the bike rack, why not use a bike rack that slips over the hitch bar - like the Swagman Receiver Slide Over 3 Bike Rack: http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-64600-.../dp/B0009NZL34

Should work with any drop hitch needed.

Best luck
I thought about that but did not want a frame supported bike mount.

I have a pretty nice bike rack 1UP USA
Old 08-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Mike,

I was lucky to find a local, "used 1 time", EZ-Tow in Santa Ana, CA for $1,000.

I tow a Prius with mine too!

While fueling up the very first time using the EZ-Tow there happened to be a CHP officer "hiding in wait" to catch someone rolling through the nearby stop sign.

I bravely, (naively), called him over and asked if my tow dolly setup was OK. He said it was fine with the trailer's built-in lights. And, he verified that no registration was required.

He did mention that in other jurisdictions, (any place off the Freeways/Highways patrolled by the CHP), the local police could write a ticket for not having plates on the trailer or marker lights on the vehicle as a form of revenue, (figuring that most people will not fight the ticket and just pay when hundreds of miles away from home).

He mentioned that the CHP offices often get called about the these tickets regarding tow dollys missing plates and marker lights, "after the fact".
Old 08-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #11

If anyone is looking I have one in SW Ohio
Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, delivery ETA is this Friday. That's pretty good and way faster than expected.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:10 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, CONGRATS are in order

Best luck for a simple curbside delivery (some have reported the delivery truck did not have a lift gate and the driver tried to toss the crate off the back...not good).

The assembly is easy.

And, it is a very good idea to try a test run BEFORE that first real outing. Practice makes loading easier and finding an easy place to hook the safety chains on to the car is best done when not hurried to hit the road.

A trick to confirm that the car's steering is operating on the dolly is to tie a bright ribbon to the steering wheel and watch for it to move with your rearview camera. And, yes you want the car's steering free to pivot in turns. That's how the EZE-Tow negotiates turns...just like flat towing.

Even now, after towing with our EZE-Tow for over 4 years, we will make a quick stop after at least 1 hard left and 1 hard right turn - just to check the strap tightness.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I've looked at a lot of pictures and can't answer this question, where does the spare tire go?

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly