Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Acme Tow Dolly and Lexus ES350

I have been looking at the Acme Tow Dolly for our 2009 Lexus ES 350. This vehicle has a locking steering wheel with a key fob rather than a true key. The Acme dolly requires that the steering wheel be unlocked. I don't like the idea of draining the battery by leaving the key fob in the car in the ACC mode. Any other ideas to make this work?
khill243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Acme did a Lexus for towing I don't remember Year and Model and I have a 2014 Camry which I used the Procedure on and it worked.
1. Sit in car.
2start Engine.
3. Roll down Driver side window.
4. Get out of Car with FOB in hand.
5. Close Door and reach in and turn Ignition off.
6. Push Window button to raise window. (Remove arm after pushing button LOL)
7. Steering wheel will stay unlocked until door opened. FOB does not have to be in Vehicle.
Please Note that Vehicle Door Will be unlocked.
Call Acme dolly they have best Customer Service and check their webb site.
Hope this helps.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

Forgot. You may sit in vehicle and do this procedure to check steering for unlocking just follow procedure as listed. Also No power will be on (radio etc.)
Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

ChasL - Thanks for this tip. It works!!! The only issue was getting my wife's trapped arm out of the window .
Old 12-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you though about buying a different Caddy?
We have the KarKaddySS by Demco. Our toad is a 99 deville front wheel drive. We leave it in Park, Key off. It has hydraulic breaks also.
Very happy with it.
JM,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #6

I have been looking at the Acme and Kar Kaddy SS. I like the Acme because of the size. Do you have any issues with the Kar Kaddy size? It is a substantial dolly.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I must agree its a tank compared to others. I can see the right tire in the review mirror and the roof of the car in the rear window. I don't have a rear camera.
With the folding tong it really don't take much room. I've had zero problems in 4 years.
I've had to hit the binders and the hydraulic brakes kicked in as its suppose to I could really feel the brakes doing there job.
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot.../IMG_12692.JPG
I think its worth the extra $$$$$
Tim
Old 12-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I have a master tow with a pivoting bed plate, the steering wheel stays locked, also the dolly has permanently mounted ramps so there is no messing with them. I really like the dolly, easy on easy off, tracks well and you can back it up with some practice and a rear camera. I have electric brakes and wouldn't be without them.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

Another KK happy user after having an ACME.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the american tow dolly, I was going to to get the acme but the steering wheel locks on my wife's car and I did not like the idea of leaving the key in it as we drove. On a side note I like the electric brakes over the surge for mountain driving.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
^^^^ Why do the surge brakes come on going down the mountains?
Tim
Old 12-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #12

The weight of the car is putting forward pressure on the ball causing the brakes to engage. I don't believe that there is any adjustment on surge disc brakes. You could check with acme tow dollies. They know their stuff.
kingofpiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #13

I love Acme

I'm glad that suggestion worked for you and hope your wife's arm heals. I am a 5'4" 65 year old woman and the Acme was a Godsend for me. I had the Kar Kaddy for one tow. Fortunately the dealer took it back. I could not move that thing. I barely got it off the street and it sat in my front yard until I could take it back. Then I got the Acme and the people here who say the customer service is EXCELLENT are right. Plus I can push that thing up hill in the snow.. I swear!
swanqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #14

Acme Tow Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanqueen View Post
I'm glad that suggestion worked for you and hope your wife's arm heals. I am a 5'4" 65 year old woman and the Acme was a Godsend for me. I had the Kar Kaddy for one tow. Fortunately the dealer took it back. I could not move that thing. I barely got it off the street and it sat in my front yard until I could take it back. Then I got the Acme and the people here who say the customer service is EXCELLENT are right. Plus I can push that thing up hill in the snow.. I swear!
I also use Acme Tow Dolly. I am older than Dirt and travel alone so I purchased a Ultra Tow Dolly 600lbs capacity, Pneumatic tires That has hitch ball on it. I can move the Acme with it.
I hope his Wife's arm his OK to.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly