Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

ACME Tow Dolly - Any Use Advice

My ACME Tow Dolly has arrived and has been assembled. I plan to take it out for a maiden run this week to try it out and practice driving with it before we strike out on our long fall trip. I have watched the video several times and feel ready to try this out. Since I am new to the RV world and driving the coach itself is actually fairly new to me, I wanted to find out if anyone had any pearls of wisdom prior to me learning things the hard way, which is my usual method if figuring things out

vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #2

ACME Tow Dolly - Any Use Advice

Vettenuts,
Good luck with your purchase! I have been considering the Acme dolly also. While I have not heard of any problems specifically with the Acme dolly, I have heard that the Dollie fenders could come in contact with the vehicle being towed. You might want to have some one check clearances at a slow speed turns before getting out on the road!
Please let me know how your first trip goes! Enjoy!

Rickmc & Moski
DP ?
Still searching

Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #3

Thanks. I have seen this reported for other dollies but not the ACME. Hopefully I can watch it in the rear monitor.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

That's good to know. Give us an update when you get a chance!!

Rickmc & Moski
Still Searching for that right one!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Attachments

Make sure you use a 2" ball. Cross chains, loop safety cord through hitch and back on itself or it will come out and bounce down the road. Lucky I had a camera on the mh to see it. When removing car don't forget to undue safety chains from car FIRST, or you will be reinstalling wheel nets to loosen the chains.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #6

On the EZE Tow I had the tire nets usually would stretch and need to be tightened up after driving 1-2 miles. Did not matter how tight I got them to begin with or how even the cross webbing was. One time I was loading toad on a gravel incline and as I got on the ramps a front drive tire kicked one plastic ramp back under the toad and it fell on top of it. On mine the plastic ramps did not anchor to the dolly when loading, but maybe EZE Tow has changed the design. Also had an experience with trying to load in the rain and slick tires would spin on the ramps.

Excellent advise above about removing the safety chains before unloading. Not my experience but I know that would ruin your day. Also be careful where you hook the safety chains to toad. The toad suspension can move up and down as you travel rough roads or bumps, and if chains attached to weak spot, then........
Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

What I did (since I used to work for the Navy, so it's ingrained) is make a load and unload procedure based on the video. On the load procedure I have it noted to check the straps after a mile and then on every stop. During unload, safety chains first, then straps, but before either setting the parking brake in the car.

Now if only the weather would cooperate.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

Sound like you have a great plan and will do fine. Many people have many happy miles towing with a dolly. Wish I had asked this question before I started with my dolly. Would have greatly shortened my learning curve.

I have heard of putting the traction tape(like sand paper) on the ramps.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #9

The ramps that come with the new dolly are metal and have perforations like a metal walkway for traction. I think it is a great improvement over the older plastic ramps they used to use.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Acme Tow Dolly….

It is not possible to make contact with the fenders on the Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly. Unless of course you run into them. That is the very first improvement we made to the very old and tired Tow Dolly design from the last 4 decades. However that is a serious and ongoing issues for several of the other dolly companies. They know it and do nothing about it. Perplexing. It is understandable in the sense that they no longer manufacture so they cannot easily make any changes to their design. They are produced in China and shipped here for "Assembly in the USA". Remember, when you see "Assembled in the USA" that means "Made in China"
Let us know if you have any questions, we are a phone call away. Thanks for your business. Richard. Acme Tow Dolly Company.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmc View Post
That's good to know. Give us an update when you get a chance!!

Rickmc & Moski
Still Searching for that right one!!!

OK. Took it out today for it's maiden run. All went well although I almost forgot to release the car's parking brake. Lessons's learned: I checked the straps after one mile. Rack took two clicks. Checked again in another five miles and each took a little more tightening. After that they remained tight. Seems you need a few miles for everything to settle to get the straps to a final tightness. As for tracking, it does turn a little inside the coach, but not bad and you can see it in the mirrors. As for the question or hitting the dolly fenders with the car. If the car is centered on the dolly, there is no way to hit. I watched in the rear video and mirrors. The dolly follows the coach and the car turns a bit on the dolly but not much. I don't think my car would hit if the car wheels fully turned on the dolly, which it never will and I made some very sharp turns.

Overall, I am very pleased with the dolly, the provided equipment (straps, etc.) and how it loads and unloads the car. Very nice quality as well.

Think we are ready for our first long adventure.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Outstanding. Happy and Safe Motoring…. Send us some pictures! I'm still behind a desk for a few more years.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #13

One other thought. I didn't have a hitch ball mount for the RV. ACME recommends a specific base height for the hitch ball. I did all the measurements and then ordered an aluminum hitch ball mount. It is machined out of one solid piece of aluminum and rated to tow 14,000 lb. The nice thing is it is very light to move around. I also made a twin plug setup for my seven pin connector. I used a seven pin plug and two tow vehicle side four pole flat connectors. This way I can plug the dolly and the car into the RV so both will have brakes, running and directional lights. That worked out very well.

Even though though there is a provision for the spare tire to be carried on the dolly, I have it in the basement of the RV to keep it under lock and key. Also, I plan to just wrap the ramps in some old sheets and keep them in the trunk or back seat of the towed car especially since I have a dog protector in the back seat, which fully covers the leather.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I also made a twin plug setup for my seven pin connector. I used a seven pin plug and two tow vehicle side four pole flat connectors. This way I can plug the dolly and the car into the RV so both will have brakes, running and directional lights. That worked out very well.
Do you by chance have a picture of this plug you've rigged? Being an old broad, I need visuals.

Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dolly, tow, tow dolly