Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Acme Tow Dolly - New Style Adjustable Basket Straps

I bought my Acme Tow Dolly last fall and I used it to tow my Saab convertible that had 15" wheels. My experience was that when I tightened up the straps the 1st cross strap was nearly in the ratchet after a couple of adjustments on the road. It was satisfactory but not great as the tires were not snug on the dolly frame.

I think the straps supplied were too big but I did use them to tow the car to Yuma Az and back to NC.

Is anyone here replacing their old straps with the new style or are they using the adjustable straps that are now supplied with a new dolly. Is the adjustment difficult and does the new 'tire gripper' make it better. The tires on my Volkswagen Eos that I am using now are 235 45R17 so they are bigger than my Saab tires were but a pretty low profile though.

WHen the weather cools I plan to load the Volks and see how it fits as I think the ratchets will have to be moved to accomadate the width of the wheel base.

seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #2

ACME does have a couple of sizes, sounds like you have the larger strap. I have 18" wheels and wide tires, so I use the larger straps. Not sure if ACME color codes the straps but mine are red.

Check Cargo Control, they have straps that come in a couple of sizes for reasonable cost.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, mine are red as well.

I think they shipped straps that were 'one size fits all'. Yes tey worked but I think they could have worked better.

The car I was securing was an older model with 15'" wheels and most towing a car have a newer vehicle that has bigger wheels.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

Look at the Cargo Controls l web site.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:47 AM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme Tow Dolly

Our new straps fit every size tires and wheel. They are very adjustable. If you go to our website to the owners manual page, look for the Strap Tutorial. It will explain how all the adjustments work. We are now using a hook rated to 20,000 pounds that can also be easily replaced if necessary.

The Tread Lock makes a huge difference in the straps staying in place.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Our new straps fit every size tires and wheel. They are very adjustable. If you go to our website to the owners manual page, look for the Strap Tutorial. It will explain how all the adjustments work. We are now using a hook rated to 20,000 pounds that can also be easily replaced if necessary.

The Tread Lock makes a huge difference in the straps staying in place.
Can you or another poster post a photo of the Tread Lock? I cannot find it on the dolly website. A google search of your site does not find the phrase "tread lock".
Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
Can you or another poster post a photo of the Tread Lock? I cannot find it on the dolly website. A google search of your site does not find the phrase "tread lock".
Go to the Acme site, click on owners manual and the first item is a powerpoint showing the new basket straps.

I am going to load my Volkswagen and see how the old straps do because I do not want to spend $90, to replace the straps I used twice unless I have to

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly