Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #15

Not to put more fuel on the fire, but it seems disingenuous that Acme has ZERO mention of the faulty "old" style straps on their website. If they really cared, the least they would do is have a link that advises their former customers about this poor/ill-fated design. Instead, they delete the installation guides for those products (again, mine is a 2013, not "old"). Sounds more like covering their butts than caring about the customers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #16

It looks like all of these post are for the new style, I have the old style and they work fine when you put the strap through the ring it should be on the side of the tire and the ratchet will be on the side of the tire.
the two straps coming from the back of the tire to the front will be on the sides of the tires and you will have the cross straps going over the top, front and back of the tire.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

We have the REAL old style straps and actually prefer them over the new design...because of the dual secure points rear AND FRONT!

The new style straps have only 1 mount point in the front.

There is nothing faulty with the old design...don't understand where that accusation came from.
Acme just changed the design to a simplier single front strap-yoke set-up, plus changed the style of the ratchet lock.

And the old style ratchet requires no wrench, because it is like a military aircraft strap ratchet...strong and reliable

Last year, I called Acme to ask if I needed to order a set of the old style straps before they were unavailable...too late

Oh well, the new design will be fine when I need to replace the straps, but that doesn't seem to be any time soon.

TO THE OP: If using the REAL old style straps (a hook plus a ratchet strap on the front), do the following:
1. Install/engage the rear 2 hooks on the dolly.*
2. Lay the straping over the top of the tire (metal hoop must be on the outside front corner of the tire).
3. Install/engage the front inner hook on the dolly.
4. Align the metal hoop on the forward outside sidewall of the tire.
5. Feed the lose end of the strap through the hoop.
6. Feed the lose strap end into the ratchet latch, then tighten the strap end.

If using the new style straps, follow steps 1* and 2 above, then:
3. Center the metal hoop on the front tire tread.
4. Feed the lose strap end throught the hoop.
5-6. Same as above.

*Step #1 can be done before -OR- after loading the car on the dolly as you wish.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #18

Thanks for all the great information. On the comment below, though, the accusation came from Acme themselves, just go back a few posts to see it for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

There is nothing faulty with the old design...don't understand where that accusation came from.
Acme just changed the design to a simplier single front strap-yoke set-up, plus changed the style of the ratchet lock.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
As we advised in our correspondence with you, we do not recommend using those straps. That is why we quit using them and we do not offer support for them. We DO NOT want people using them. I do not know how to be more specific or clear then that.
You do not have to buy ours, Any Camping World, any UHaul Center, or US Cargo Control online sells very reliable easy to use straps.

It is perplexing to me that when we tell people not use these straps they still insist on trying to figure out a way to do so. For some reason they ask for advice but then they refuse to accept the advice. I guess they do not want to spend the money to actually resolve the issue thus allowing them to easily and safely use the dolly.

Again, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THAT OLD STYLE STRAP.
Still not seeing Acme say the old style straps are faulty or flawed...only a (strong) recommendation to use the new style straps.

I submit there is a great difference between recommending the use of new equipment parts vs. publishing that there was a flawed or faulty product provided to retail consumers...that would usually lead to civil litigation and recalls to replace that equipment.

I appreciate Richard Brown's simple little dolly and will keep using the old straps. And I also appeciate how Acme stands behind the product - like they sent me the new style tail lights to retrofit ours - for free.

And I will add that any tire straps - old or new from any maker - must be checked for normal stretching after installation. If the straps are not checked, they can become loose and that's not good

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-02-2015, 05:21 AM   #20

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

That is correct. The Old Style straps do work fine when used as intended. The inherent problem with them is that there are 12 or more ways to use them.It is very difficult to explain to people how to safely use them. Even with the video people could not figure it out. Then when there was no internet available it is even worse. We simply redesigned the straps in such a way that they can only be used in one way. No left or right, no guessing.

We actually replaced, at NO CHARGE hundreds of sets of those straps, just to make life easier for our customers, not because we had to. Anyone that has ever needed warranty assistance knows that Acme goes way above and beyond the minimum to resolve issues.

In situations, like this one, where the individual is not our customer, IE;, he bought a used dolly from a third party, we still offer a 50% discount to replace the old style straps. The assumption that we DO NOTHING is absurd.

Leaving an old video in place demonstrating the usage of the straps is misleading. It would imply that we still endorse the use of the straps. If we were hiding the issue we would never tell anyone to NOT use them. To say we are covering our butts is silly. We are very forthright and direct about it. In addition, there have 9 generations of straps. That would require 9 videos. Straps are a consumable, they wear out and have to be replaced, so just step up and replace them with a simple to use system that tis proven and easy to use.
(Mod Edit)
Old 01-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #21

(Mod Edit)Here are some facts:
1. I will post Richard's email response to me below unedited. See if you can locate the place where he offers a discount of any sort.
2. Richard never responded to the question, which was in regard to NO INFORMATION at all about the straps he sold one year ago. Forget the video. If he really cared about his customers and wanted to voice his concerns, he would have a link on his website to speak to the issue/concern.
3. I am a professor of engineering at a major university, the strap design is poor, if not flawed. I never cared to enter a battle about Richard's product, but rather, just asked for some help to better understand how this design was intended to work.
4. I also own a corporation, in business since 1998, and I cannot imagine getting on a public forum and making up story lines like Acme has done here. Incredible to me as a small business owner, but, at least folks can read this thread an make their own call.

Here is Richard's response to me when I wrote asking for help to properly use the straps:

"We recommend that you purchase the newest generation of wheel straps. They will be the same ones that are used in the instructional video located on our website. Simply go to Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company and click on the "owner's manual". From there, scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click on the button that says "IV12". The video will pop up in your browser. You can purchase the wheel straps directly on our website by clicking on the "Buy Here" button and selecting the wheel straps from the drop down menu. In regards to the safety chains, every vehicle has a different access point. At your convenience, you can email us a photo the next time you have the car loading showing your application so we can best assist you."

I wrote back thanking him, but explained that I was not in a position to order straps at that time, I needed to get HOME! Also, his email above suggests there is a video showing the strap installation and clearly he knows that I have the older generation, yet, he sends me to a video for the new straps. Again, I thanked Richard for the help, even when I returned home after using his straps (did not work well - go figure). I also would be curious where that 50% discount comes in? He never mentioned this previously (Mod Edit).
Old 01-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #22

Doc Vegas, why don't you just go and buy the new set at a camping world or other facility that was recommended if it is unsafe the way you are using them. The company has no obligation to provide services or discounts(other than a warranty issue) to a second hand buyer. That is just part of the game when you buy something used, is that you may have to buy some new parts for it.

You keep saying you have to get home, but it seems that if the company won't give you a deal then you are just going to "chance" it, try and make it home and then take care of it. I would bet the discount is only going to amount to about $50 at best, if you get it. It is not worth the chance of your car coming off and injuring or damaging an innocent person driving down the road, or causing damage to your toad if just not attached right. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes in a civil court if that happens seeing you are a professor of engineering at a major University, they will hold you to a different standard. I'm not trying to add to your frustration or take sides with you or Acme, but you seem to be stuck on the disagreement between you and Acme rather than your own safety/security.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #23

Mike: I am already home, we came back already. I had my family members with us who had to get back to catch a flight to return to the east coast. As you can see in the email above, there was no information about getting the straps at other stores in his original response. I am not even complaining about the price actually. The company claims above they offer a discount, then the company makes accusations against me. I am simply showing that there was no such offer made, despite the posting here from Acme.

Moreover, after the original email sent to me (posted above), I thought the straps were proprietary, not for sale at various venues. Regardless, I was able to use additional straps I was carrying to better secure the vehicle to get it home. No, I will never use those straps again. My hope is that others reading this thread will learn about the difficulties in safely using those old straps before it is too late. I believe the right thing to do would be to provide a link on the Acme website so that others can learn what apparently the company already knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Doc Vegas, why don't you just go and buy the new set at a camping world or other facility that was recommended if it is unsafe the way you are using them. The company has no obligation to provide services or discounts(other than a warranty issue) to a second hand buyer. That is just part of the game when you buy something used, is that you may have to buy some new parts for it.

You keep saying you have to get home, but it seems that if the company won't give you a deal then you are just going to "chance" it, try and make it home and then take care of it. I would bet the discount is only going to amount to about $50 at best, if you get it. It is not worth the chance of your car coming off and injuring or damaging an innocent person driving down the road, or causing damage to your toad if just not attached right. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes in a civil court if that happens seeing you are a professor of engineering at a major University, they will hold you to a different standard. I'm not trying to add to your frustration or take sides with you or Acme, but you seem to be stuck on the disagreement between you and Acme rather than your own safety/security.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #24

Good to hear, glad you guys got home safely. I think the new straps are about $100, and was just thinking it would be worth your peace of mind. We are thinking about buying one of these so I have been researching them and seeing what others think of them. Take care....Mike
Old 01-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #25

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

So, in the interest of fairness, I have posted the entire email exchange below. It has not been selectively "picked" Note that my offer to advise and assist the customer was at 6:18 AM.

Thanks, we got it home. I am likely to sell this dolly and go with 4-down towing now.

From: Acme Tow Dolly Company [mailto:acmetowdolly@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:18 AM

To: Shane
Subject: Re: Acme older version

Two things, it is very difficult to explain to someone how to use that strap design, which is why we quit using it. I do not recommend using it. However I can talk to on the phone and try to help you. Send me your number.
The other is the possibility of stopping at any UHaul center and buying a set of their straps. They work well on our dolly and would easily resolve this for you.

Richard

Acme Tow Dolly Company LLc
1031 E Mountain St Bld 305 Ste 110
Kernersville NC 27284
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
Diesel Gas Trailer | Fuel Trailers & Diesel Fuel Storage Tanks
acmetowdolly@gmail.com
336-996-4396
336-993-2229 Fax

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Shane
I appreciate your suggestion to buy new straps; however, we are on a long trip and have no mailing address or time to deal with this… can you please give us some advice how to you use your old straps with the steel ring on one side? The video is zero help for us. Do we pass the strap through the steel ring??? Where should the ring be lined up???

Please, we need to get home safely.

Shane

From: Acme Tow Dolly Company [mailto:acmetowdolly@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 1:06 PM
To: Shane
Subject: Re: Acme older version

Good afternoon,

We recommend that you purchase the newest generation of wheel straps. They will be the same ones that are used in the instructional video located on our website. Simply go to Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company and click on the "owner's manual". From there, scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click on the button that says "IV12". The video will pop up in your browser. You can purchase the wheel straps directly on our website by clicking on the "Buy Here" button and selecting the wheel straps from the drop down menu. In regards to the safety chains, every vehicle has a different access point. At your convenience, you can email us a photo the next time you have the car loading showing your application so we can best assist you.

Acme Tow Dolly Company LLc
1031 E Mountain St Bld 305 Ste 110
Kernersville NC 27284
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
Diesel Gas Trailer | Fuel Trailers & Diesel Fuel Storage Tanks
acmetowdolly@gmail.com
336-996-4396
336-993-2229 Fax

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Shane > wrote:
Hello Acme:

I have your tow dolly which I bought used. Though, it had never been used before. I got it from a local owner who changed his plans and have never used it. It was purchased in early 2013 and includes the plastic ramps and the yellow straps with a stainless ring in the front. I have all the paper work, but cannot find any instructions as to how to fasten this properly. Your video is great, but I wish you would include links to your original products. I am frustrated and hoping someone can quickly offer me some help as I tried it today for the first time and the driver’s side strap came off somewhere down the highway. Not damaged, but it was shifted to the innerside of the tire and useless. I also do not see how the loose chains hook up properly. Lastly, I am shocked how short the wire is for a tow dolly meant for RV use. I need at least a 2 foot extension. I made something that is working, but need to buy something professional.

Please help.

Shane
Old 01-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #26
Community Administrator

This has turned into a vendor dispute which is not allowed at IRV2 and since everyone has posted their side to this , its time to move on.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread

Tags
dolly, need help, tow, tow dolly