Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #1

ACME Tow Dolly - Trouble, need help

Guys: I made the first run with my Acme tow dolly, pulling our Honda Odyssey. The greatest challenge, and frustration, is that the manufacturer seems to not have any instructions on-line for the previous model!

I bought mine "used", but it was never used. I have the information from the seller showing he bought it around May 2013. The instructions are sparse at best and I do not fully understand how to install the tire straps. The two clips are clear, but how does the ring work on the front? I assume that I just thread the end of the strap through the steel loop and try to line it up down the middle of the tire? But, why are there no instructions on line? In fact, one of mine came off on the trip, no idea how.

We made it, but I am petrified to take it home. Would really appreciate some information on correct installation procedure for the yellow straps with the steel loop on one side.

Thanks!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #2

Takes a little learning curve to use a dolly as you are finding out. Acme is a good dolly and once you use it a few times I think it will work fine for you.

Your question about lining up the metal ring with center of tire is correct and running the strap through it. Look at the slide show on this linked page for details Acme Eze Tow Dolly is the Best Heavy Duty Tow Dolly - See For Yourself! | Car Tow Dolly, does not have the best detail but I think it will show you enough information.

Give Acme a call and see if they will send you an instruction book and visit with them about what happened to get their suggestions and instructions. When I used the Acme dolly I found it best to stop after 1-2 miles and tighten everything up again. The straps seem to stretch and needed to be tightened. Be sure the straps are as tight as you can get them.

If you have not already read your toad owners manual, then I suggest you read the section about correct method to tow your vehicle.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am in Tucson and use an Acme dolly. Shoot me a PM if you need some help. I could swing by and show you how I load my car.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem your having and I knew how it was suppose to be done. You definitely need to check them after you drive a small amount. Get them as tight as possible to start and then check after you drive a little bit. That is one of the reasons I stopped using this dolly. The new upgrades have solved all the problems I had with the dolly. My recommendation is only buy the new one. I won't use mine anymore.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
How the straps look hooked up right.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

Thanks Folks, especially the Tucson offer! We are at Lost Dutchman in Phoenix area now, back on the 1st. We need to get it home! The Acme company responded to my email, though their advice was "buy new straps on our website". I appreciate this might be needed, but that will not get us home. Were the original straps really this flawed? Does anyone use them? Seems they could not have all failed?

Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #7

OK folks, after some digging on-line, I found this one. This is by far the best one for the old style straps:

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Watched the video, the safety chains look weak to me. I also prefer the way my straps hook up. And no tools required either.
Don't forget that they ride or are wider than towing vehicle so try and keep it between the lines...
Sorry but I will stick with mine. Thanks for the video.
Of-course JMO,
Tim
Old 12-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #9

We had the same thing happen to us. Lost the strap and almost lost the car. We bought new straps at camping world that evening. Huge difference. The original straps are just not user friendly. The new straps never failed, are much safer to the user and made loading and unloading the dolly much easier. Since you are in Phoenix, just go get new straps.

All of that said, we'll never use the dolly again. I'd love to sell it.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go to uscargocontrol.com, I bought to straps with the snap hooks, work a 100% better and price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
...I assume that I just thread the end of the strap through the steel loop and try to line it up down the middle of the tire? But, why are there no instructions on line? In fact, one of mine came off on the trip, no idea how...
My Acme dolly is 3 years old. At the back of each tire of the Toad are 3 rings welded in place that are used to clip the straps to. At the front of the Toad tires is a channel which holds a ratchet device used to tighten the straps securely.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Order a set of these as mentioned above
Tow Dolly Basket Straps - Wheel Net Car Tire Tie Down Basket Straps

Also buy an 18" hitch ball wrench at Wal-mart $10 and tighten them down good, check them after a few miles and any time you stop. Problem free if you do it right.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #13

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

As we advised in our correspondence with you, we do not recommend using those straps. That is why we quit using them and we do not offer support for them. We DO NOT want people using them. I do not know how to be more specific or clear then that.
You do not have to buy ours, Any Camping World, any UHaul Center, or US Cargo Control online sells very reliable easy to use straps.

It is perplexing to me that when we tell people not use these straps they still insist on trying to figure out a way to do so. For some reason they ask for advice but then they refuse to accept the advice. I guess they do not want to spend the money to actually resolve the issue thus allowing them to easily and safely use the dolly.

Again, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THAT OLD STYLE STRAP.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
As we advised in our correspondence with you, we do not recommend using those straps. That is why we quit using them and we do not offer support for them. We DO NOT want people using them. I do not know how to be more specific or clear then that.
You do not have to buy ours, Any Camping World, any UHaul Center, or US Cargo Control online sells very reliable easy to use straps.

It is perplexing to me that when we tell people not use these straps they still insist on trying to figure out a way to do so. For some reason they ask for advice but then they refuse to accept the advice. I guess they do not want to spend the money to actually resolve the issue thus allowing them to easily and safely use the dolly.

Again, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THAT OLD STYLE STRAP.
As I advised you, I had no way to not use them at the time. What I find amazing is that a company admits a faulty design, then does not offer even a discount for the replacements. I would NEVER deal with Acme Tow Dolly corporation again, period.
Closed Thread

Tags
dolly, need help, tow, tow dolly