Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

Is anyone towing an Acura RDX 4 wheels down? Any special equipment needed? I was told that the driveline/transmission is the same as the Honda CRV which says its towable in the manual. The RDX manual makes no such claim.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #2

Is anyone towing an Acura RDX 4 wheels down? Any special equipment needed? I was told that the driveline/transmission is the same as the Honda CRV which says its towable in the manual. The RDX manual makes no such claim.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What year RDX? Honda.Acura withdrew its tacit approval of dinghy towing in early 2006, except for the CRV. There wasn't any change in the vehicle's transmissions - just a change of policy. Presumably the had learned that they were suffering warranty cost overruns due to towing, but who knows?

There are probably two questions for you to consider: (1) Is is technically feasible to tow it and (2) will towing it void the drive train warranty. I suspect the answers are yes and yes.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

I thought the RDX was new for 2007.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps it is, gandl2, but it helps if you provide the relevant info with the question rather than expecting others to do research to help you out.

The RDX sure looks like an Acura rendition of a CRV, so it could well be feasible to tow one. Whether Acura policy is to allow that under warranty is another question and would have to be answered by an Acura dealer. I suggest a trip to an Acura dealer and ask him to check an RDX owner's manual for recreational or dinght towing instructions.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #6

Gee, I thought asking questions on this board is part of doing research. Sorry I asked.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #7

I have been talking to American Honda and my dealership about towing all wheels down on my 2005 Honda Accord. Both have told me that you should NOT tow this car down on all four wheels. Only the CRV is towable.

I asked how you are able to tow the CRV and I was told that you follow the procedure of starting the engine, moving the automatic gear shifter through process of moving from Park down through all gears and then back to drive and then from drive to neutral. Set key in accessory and turn off the engine.

I asked what is the difference between the transmission on the CRV and the transmission on the Accord. The dealer just said there must be a difference or the manufacturer would allow you to tow. He said I wouldn't want to damage my transmission, would I?

Of course I don't, but something inside says I bet it would work. But I don't want to risk having to pay out for a transmission.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Accord used to be approved for towing, but no longer.

The scuttlebutt is that too many owners were not following the precise order of the shifting process for towing and Honda tired of fixing transmissions under warranty.

Hopefully we have members who can provide more info on Accords.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote