Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Adding Breakaway Kit to Tow Dolly

I ordered a breakaway kit and a junction box to install on our Master Tow dolly. I have to drill holes in the tongue for both the breakaway unit, the breakaway switch and a junction box I bought to make installation easier. That's two 1/4" and 4 1/8" holes in the box section tongue. The tongue isn't real robust looking, are those holes a structural issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

NO...........

All 6 holes only total 0.196 square inches of material removed -----less than a FULL 1/2" hole

1/8" = .0245
1/4" = .049
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"barncd"......Often, these kits are made so people can mount them with generic tools. It's hard to give you any ideas without seeing the set up.

If you're really concerned, make a plate to attach the equipment to and u-bolt to the tongie. You could also have a plate welded on and then bolt the equipment to the plate.

Lastly, drill the holes and plate it with some steel flat stock to add reinforcement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

I have no experience with the Tow Dolly. However, it would make more sense to me to mount the breakaway switch on the car itself. There are two possibilities:
1. Tow Dolly separates from the motorhome.
2. Car separates from the tow dolly.

I have seen a few posts of cars getting loose but remaining on, or falling off the tow dolly. If you mount the switch on the car, you cover both #1 and #2 above. If you mount the switch on the tow dolly, you only cover #1 above.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #5

Actually, after thinking about this - In my flat-4 towing situation, I have an RViBrake2 in the Focus. The only way to cover both situations is to have a breakaway capability on both the Tow Dolly and the Car. When the car is on the Tow Dolly - is the transmission in park?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCar View Post
Actually, after thinking about this - In my flat-4 towing situation, I have an RViBrake2 in the Focus. The only way to cover both situations is to have a breakaway capability on both the Tow Dolly and the Car. When the car is on the Tow Dolly - is the transmission in park?
Yes with FWD
Old 04-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCar View Post
I have no experience with the Tow Dolly. However, it would make more sense to me to mount the breakaway switch on the car itself. There are two possibilities:
1. Tow Dolly separates from the motorhome.
2. Car separates from the tow dolly.

I have seen a few posts of cars getting loose but remaining on, or falling off the tow dolly. If you mount the switch on the car, you cover both #1 and #2 above. If you mount the switch on the tow dolly, you only cover #1 above.
I'm not sure what attaching the breakaway switch to the toad does. The toad doesn't have a auxiliary braking system when towing on a dolly--if the car falls off the dolly, why activate the dolly brakes? The car is going to continue on anyway.

If the dolly, with the car attached, comes loose from the motor home, the dolly brakes will stop both.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used two self tapping screw to attach the brake a way kit to my tow dolly.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly