Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #15

Aluma Trailers

I looked at Featherlite, when we were shopping for a trailer. They do make a great trailer. I then looked at Aluma Trailers. All aluminum, lots of options.

I have an electric winch in the front of my trailer. If your vehicle that you normally carry in the trailer is disabled, it will be the only way you will be able to load it. Always tie your vehicle with 4 points. That is 4 separate chains or straps. Nothing worse than having a vehicle loose in the trailer.

LED lights are great, but are pretty directional, and much more expensive to replace. In my opinion, they are just as likely to suffer from corrosion as others, so take a good hard look at the wiring harness on the trailer you are considering. Get spares for the lights from the dealer, cause you probably won't find them on the road if you need them. They also usually run too cool in winter to thaw snow and ice off like a regular bulb will, so you need to brush them off in those kinds of conditions.

As others mentioned tires are one of those areas where trailer manufacturers start to save money. Be sure the tires you are getting are rated for trailer duty and the correct load rating. Remember, if you blow a tire and limp in 10 to 20 miles, that remaining tire was probably overloaded for those 10 to 20 miles and even though it still holds air, it has been overloaded and probably ruined, and you need to replace the pair. That is where a good tire pressure monitoring system will pay for itself, in just the price of two tires, let alone any damage done when the tire comes apart. Last thing, forget that spare tire stored in the floor, you will probably have to unload the trailer to get to it, keep it out where you can get to it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
let me add a few notes
I use an open deck trailer but

E track and wheel straps are the only way to go
Auto Hauler Supply - wheel straps, height sticks, graphite, cluster chains
this guy has low profile straps with ratchets for low profile cars

i have an extended tongue and that makes them sharp turns so worry free.

brakes on all the axles is a must
tires, tires and tires.....i have been through quite a few

whether its an enclosed or open trailer it makes it so much nicer to have the trailer out there taking the beating from the road vice the toys

in fact we just acquired a new toad and its four down-able (f150 4x4 crewcab)
been looking hard at an enclosed trailer with more room and weight capacity

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I chose a 26 foot Pace Shadow cargo trailer. It's 30 foot tongue to tail. My coach is just over 41 foot nose to hitch ball. I have the large 4 foot door on the curb-side and another access door on the road-side. i use the road-side door to get in and out of my car. Since my Victory is loaded up front (870 lb's) I back the car into the trailer putting the engine in the rear which balances out the bike up front.

My tongue weight is in excess of 1200 lb's which is why it travels so nicely behind me.

Even when I had to make an abrupt evasive maneuver to avoid hitting a moose last year while coming back from Alaska, the trailer never faltered or sway at all. it tracked right behind my coach all the time.

The trailer is rated at 12,000 lb's with two 6,000 lb. axles.

I've traveled through 27 states and 3 Canadian Providences so far with no problems, YET.

I've been towing it since May of 2010 and it tows like a dream. You hardly know it's behind you unless you are either ascending a grade or descending a grade.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska 2010 545.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	47101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rest Area BC.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	47102  

Name:	Rest Area Yukon.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	47103  
Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer to tow haul our Jeep in our enclosed trailer although there are times when it is a nuisance to find sites large enough or when bouncing from campground to campground on road trips.

We have towed enclosed trailers with three different coaches now and two different trailers. Our first trailer was a 24' Wells Cargo, which we bought back in 1992 and towed it for 16 years until 2008 when we special ordered our 26' Haulmark Edge race trailer.

I like the 26' better but it is leaps and bounds nicer than our older 24' so it really isn't a fair comparison. I looked at T&E trailers, Gold Rush and Featherlite but they were well outside of my budget. I ended up going with the Haulmark which I was able to special order to the exact specs that I was wanting for about the same price as I could have gotten one off of a lot or slightly used so the wife and I opted to order one.

I liked the Haulmark because it was one of the few that kept the floor spreaders at 16" centers and I liked the way they undercoated and added corrosion protection prior to installing the side panels.

With the weight I was going to carry I strongly debated on getting triple axles but in the end I am glad I didn't. Two more tires to replace, wheel bearings to service and drag when turning. They do have benefits but if you can carry the weight without going to triple axles I would advise it.

I ordered our 26' Haulmark Edge trailer with the extended tongue (measuring 31' total), two 7k pound torsional axles with brakes and with 14-ply 16" tires & aluminum wheels. Axles give me 14k pound total capacity and with the 14-ply tires they give me just over 15k pound capacity.

I also ordered the trailer to be 1' taller than standard, two 500-watt halogen lights on the curb side, 48" curb side door, "L" shaped workbench with overhead cabinets, ATF flooring, a couple of extra electrical outlets inside, full-width rear ramp door with the tail lights in the ramp door, back-up lights in the ramp door, LED lights, four 12-volt interior lights (two were standard), .040" exterior aluminum (.030" was standard) and exterior sliding step rather than the recessed floor style step at the curb side door which was standard.

I also added what they call the "race package" which consists of the white interior aluminum paneling, four 4' flourescent 115 volt lights, electrical switches and recepticles.

Since then I have added my Snap-On toolbox on the left wall of the workbench, an air compressor under the workbench bolted to the floor with rubber isolators and I fabricated a spare tire mount for the tongue which I covered it with a "continental kit". In our last trailer the spare was mounted under the floor accessed through a lift up panel in the floor.

Overall we have towed the trailer for 5 years now, I just replaced the tires at the first of this season due to some checking that I noticed. The trailer tows fantastic but it is heavy at 5500 pounds empty but with tools and everything that stays in it.

With my Jeep at another 5500 pounds and our 04 Harley Ultra Classic the total weight is just over 12k pounds and it tows great. We are at 72' OAL (with our little 40' coach) and other than finding campgrounds that can accomodate the site length I enjoy towing the trailer. A little more power on some of the grades would be nice but I don't think you can ever have enough power.

Others have given great advice and I wish you luck in finding what works for you and enjoying your travels.

Mike.

On edit, also I want to comment to not skimp on tie downs. Get good quality tie downs so you don't have to worry about your toys moving around especially in an emergency manuever. I see a lot of people who think because whatever they are towing are protected in an enclosed trailer that they don't need expensive tie downs. Good quality tie downs are priceless. It scares me when we pull into a Jeep rally and see what kind of "crap" people are tying their Jeeps down with. I recommend MAC's but that is merely my recommendation and they have worked well for me over the many years of towing/hauling.

Picture of ours in Moab last year.

Interior shot from the ramp door.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do all you guys at 65+ length avoid getting cited for being too long???

Here in California, the CHP will spot you a mile away and write up a nice expensive ticket. Most of my dune buggy friends and family with enclosed trailers have gotten tickets. My brother is 64.5 ft and he has had CHP measure him twice, since they thought he was over 65 ft.

I checked this website and only 14 states allow 70 or more ft. A lot of states are only 60 ft!

I know most highway patrol give RV'ers a lot of breaks, since we are generally safer drivers and not causing accidents. But it seems that over time you will be pressing your luck.

Happy trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #20

It's my understanding that for those states that have reciprocity agreements with your home state, you are bound by your homestate requirements. I'm based in Minnesota with a 75 ft overall requirement. I think i'm legal in all but 3 states.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
How do all you guys at 65+ length avoid getting cited for being too long???

Here in California, the CHP will spot you a mile away and write up a nice expensive ticket. Most of my dune buggy friends and family with enclosed trailers have gotten tickets. My brother is 64.5 ft and he has had CHP measure him twice, since they thought he was over 65 ft.

I checked this website and only 14 states allow 70 or more ft. A lot of states are only 60 ft!

I know most highway patrol give RV'ers a lot of breaks, since we are generally safer drivers and not causing accidents. But it seems that over time you will be pressing your luck.

Happy trails,
Bill
I read all the time about all of the people getting cited for being overlength. Seems like on every RV forum the length police come out. However, in over 20 years of being overlength and well over 60k miles towing enclosed trailers I have never even been given a second glance.

I used to run across combined length conversations a lot at the race track when we were racing. This seemed to be a very hot topic yet very seldom did anyone admit to having been issued a citation. And yet on the forums people would make you beleive that everyone who is over 65' in length is getting pulled over by the law as soon as they pull out of their driveway.

I seem to talk to a lot of the other people we see at the dunes and Jeep Jamborees and in 20+ years I have found one person who was cited for being overlength, made to drop his trailer and he was responsible for getting it to the border. This gentleman was from California and we ran into him about four years ago in St. Anthony Idaho sand dunes. He was traveling with four other rigs, all overlength, and the only reason he said he was "snagged" was because he got off of the interstate and was on a two-lane country road taking a sidetrip to visit family north of Sacramento. He said in over 10 years of living in CA and staying on the interstates he had never been stopped.

This is the same group of guys that we see every year at end of July at the dunes and they are all from CA. The longest is a 45' Newell towing a 30' stacker trailer and the other ones are 40-45' coaches towing 24-26' enclosed trailers/stackers.

I would think that with all of the people getting cited and all of the people that my wife and I meet towing large enclosed trailers, I would eventually meet more than one person who has had an issue. Maybe it is merely something that is blown out of proportion on the internet. You know they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

We also have some very good friends who had a 45' Newell and now a 47' Newell who have towed their enclosed trailer all over the western half of the U.S. including multiple trips to Alaska without incident. However, I think now with their 47' coach they are flat towing more mainly due to their age and getting harder for him to tie the SUV's down in the trailer.

We have only been to Glamis twice but neither time were we even given a second glance for being over length.

Mike.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam565 View Post
It's my understanding that for those states that have reciprocity agreements with your home state, you are bound by your homestate requirements. I'm based in Minnesota with a 75 ft overall requirement. I think i'm legal in all but 3 states.
States to not reciprocate on length laws. The laws are different for each state you travel in and you are bound to the laws in that particular state.

That said, we have towed enclosed trailers behind all three of our coaches in most of the western U.S. for 20+ years now without even being given a second glance.

Mike.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I read all the time about all of the people getting cited for being overlength. Seems like on every RV forum the length police come out. However, in over 20 years of being overlength and well over 60k miles towing enclosed trailers I have never even been given a second glance.........

.....We have only been to Glamis twice but neither time were we even given a second glance for being over length.

Mike.
I agree with your point of view. Similar story on the rv forum speed police. I've done 80 mph on I-15 in Utah on long gradual down hills, no wind, no traffic, just smooth sailing & speed limit is 75 anyway.

My experience going to Glamis 2-3 or more times a year for 30 yrs is that two friends have been cited. Maybe a big factor is that I know these guys haul a.$$ in their rigs and that probably triggers the secondary ticket for length.

If you have out of state plates, then as bam565 notes regarding reciprocity, cops just let it go because the length limit varies by states.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I agree with your point of view. Similar story on the rv forum speed police. I've done 80 mph on I-15 in Utah on long gradual down hills, no wind, no traffic, just smooth sailing & speed limit is 75 anyway.

My experience going to Glamis 2-3 or more times a year for 30 yrs is that two friends have been cited. Maybe a big factor is that I know these guys haul a.$$ in their rigs and that probably triggers the secondary ticket for length.

If you have out of state plates, then as bam565 notes regarding reciprocity, cops just let it go because the length limit varies by states.
I think you hit the nail on the head. These people probably draw more attention to themselves by speeding which warrants the secondary offense of being overlength.

When we were racing, we would see some real "junk" at the dragstrip that to me would draw a lot of attention. Lights not funtioning, fenders on the trailer flopping around loose, all of these things just draw unwanted attention. If it is this mechanically sub-standard from 50' away there are more than likely underlying safety factors that would be a huge issue as well.

Mike.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Duner, the KEY word is GALMIS.

The CHP loves to hang out around that area and all roads to and from the Glamis recreation area.

If you stay away from that area chances are they will ignore you unless you are part of an accident.

I've been over-length since leaving CA in 2010 for Alaska. I've been back to CA twice and now my rolling garage is parked at our volunteer Workamping location in CA until April of 2015 when we head back to Alaska.

We've been well over 33,000 miles, 27 states and three Canadian Providences without being stopped.

We're just lucky so far.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
After lots of consideration I'm pretty sure that we're going to purchase an enclosed trailer for towing.

The reasons are:

1. Ability to two either of our cars (neither are approved for flat towing)

2. Ability to bring the golf cart &/or motorcycle

3. Provides 'some' extra storage

4. We're rated at towing 10,000 so with the car at 3600 and the golf cart around 600 and the motorcycle at 800 I figure a trailer 5000 and under works.

The car is 16' and the golf cart is 7' so I'm debating between a 24 & 28 foot trailer. One problem is we are a 45' coach so either trailer will put us at/over the 70' length - will that be much of a problem?

The other question I have is how long of a tow arm should I be looking at, do I have to get the extended arm?

Any suggestions about the side door being 32 vs. larger sizes?

Any hints about what you consider a must or "wish you had done" prior to purchasing your trailer?

I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide if I should just purchase a trailer or order one with the spec's I want - the problem is since I haven't used a trailer what do I need/want?
Another "wish you had done" for me is to insulate the trailer. I wish I would have inquired on the cost to insulate the roof and walls from mfg, I just had a guy do it locally and I think it turned out pretty good. In addition to having the insulation it has added stiffness to the walls and especially to the ceiling.

I had the walls and ceiling painted a light gray for some reflective qualities but hopefully won't show the dirt so bad and the floor a dark gray epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3578.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	47909   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	47910  

Name:	photo copy.jpg