Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Advice for newbie on best braking system for jeep wrangler

Good morning!! As a new MH owner, trying to decide what brake system for our Jeep Wrangler. We are leaving on the 18th for South Dakota so we have to make s decision today!!! As newbie we didn't know we had to have a breaking system, and our dealer told us it wasn't necessary. But the more I read I realized it is the law and it us safer..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Many options, best is in the eye of the beholder
but the Brake Buddy Vantage select came with ours as part of the deal and it works great - even if not completely wired up...

Might help you to do a google and/or youtube search for your research...

Old 09-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #3

M&G OR SMI Airforce 1
Old 09-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #4

I swear by the RVI brake. Compact, convenient, and two way communications between the coach and the Toad.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

I can't tell by reading the rvi info, is there any wiring or installation to be done other than just set it in the floor of the toad??
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #6

You need a 12v outlet in the MH to plug in the monitor. A breakaway switch needs to be mounted in the Toad, but you will find that with most, if not all, aux breaking systems. My wife had lots of issues with getting the other systems we tried into and out of the vehicle (we had a Wrangler 4 door before our current Toad). No more problems with the RVI. Another feature I like is the monitor indicates when the unit is applying the brakes. Friend of mine with another unit had the breakaway switch come undone on a turn and had to have all four calipers and rotors replaces after driving a few hundred miles with the brakes applied. The display on the RVI shows you when the brakes are applied.

Oh yeah, customer service with them has been great.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
You need a 12v outlet in the MH to plug in the monitor. A breakaway switch needs to be mounted in the Toad, but you will find that with most, if not all, aux breaking systems. My wife had lots of issues with getting the other systems we tried into and out of the vehicle (we had a Wrangler 4 door before our current Toad). No more problems with the RVI. Another feature I like is the monitor indicates when the unit is applying the brakes. Friend of mine with another unit had the breakaway switch come undone on a turn and had to have all four calipers and rotors replaces after driving a few hundred miles with the brakes applied. The display on the RVI shows you when the brakes are applied.

Oh yeah, customer service with them has been great.
Thank you!!! I think this will be my choice as it appears to be the easiest to operate!!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
M and G.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

You didn't mention whether you already have a base plate / towbar system, or if you just need to add braking to an existing setup. We use the Ready Brute Elite setup which has an integral brake built in to the towbar system. You need to add a Blue Ox baseplate, and brake / tail light wiring for the complete package. Easy to install on a Wrangler.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD5DBV ROY View Post
M&G OR SMI Airforce 1

Ditto
Old 09-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

M and G

becks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags