Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Advice on Interstate enclosed trailers

I am looking at buying a enclosed trailer this winter, a 24' car hauler to be specific.

At the moment the round top car hauler with torsion axles has caught my eye. I like the specs on the trailer, and the price seams good, but I have never known anyone to own a Interstate trailer before.

I don't see any for sale used locally here in the Salt Lake valley, not sure if this is a good or bad sign. Any advice good or bad would be welcome.

Next is torsion axles. Good, bad? All of my friends have leaf springs on their enclosed trailers, so I don't have any feed back on them, other than they seam to be a upgrade to leaf spring? All the nicer enclosed trailers seam to have them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #2

The torsion bars ride smother then the springs. Trailer does not bounce as much when MT or lightly loaded.

Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Bob, why not tow 4 down? What is your RV rated for towing weight wise? The trailer plus the Toad might exceed that.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not for a on road car, it will be loaded with quads or a sand car and a couple of quads. Looking at about 2000 pounds tops with toys and fuel, plus the weight of the trailer. That is packed for a couple week trip to the dunes. Most of the time we don't haul fuel the whole trip, we fill up every thing at the nearest town except for 25 gallons of race fuel for the hill bike.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
My GTW for my bounder is listed as 3500lbs.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #6

Bob,
We have an Interstate 7' x 16' Enclosed with dual axles, torsion suspension and 4 wheel brakes. While the trailer tows just fine, I'm not too impressed with the torsion suspension. First off, in picking it up from the dealer, we had to exit the parking lot to the street via a crest. I watched the trailer as I transitioned from the parking lot to the street, crossing the ramp. First, the front axle picked up and the tires did not touch for a few feet then, the fronts landed and the rears picked up and did the same thing.

From what I can tell so far, there's not near as much flex in a torsion suspended trailer as there is in a leaf sprung dual axle trailer. I know because I've owned several dual axle, leaf sprung trailers in both flat bed and boat. The leaf sprung trailers have a "Bogie" in between the inner ends of the springs that allow for greater articulation of each axle to keep the wheels on the ground for a greater length of time before any lift off.

The trailer weighs around 2200 I think and, we hauled our 2002 Honda Goldwing and a little tiny m/c trailer in it. The Wing weighs in at around 800 lbs and the little m/c trailer weighs around 125-150. So, the suspension was loaded minimally.

If it were me, I most likely would not buy another torsion suspended trailer but, that's me. I don't know many folks with torsion suspended trailers to be able to take a good pole so this is just my opinion. The trailer is a nicely built trailer, all the fit and trim seems to be of good quality. So, I hope this helps some in your decision.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being a Ryder Truck rental dealer for 25 years until they stopped doing that portion of the business all the time they had auto carriers made by Demco the torsion suspension was really bullet proof like no failures at all except the occasional sealed wheel bearing replace which I'm sure was because the trailer was overloaded.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Don't forget that there are many other uses for an enclosed trailer. We use ours as a "man cave" when the weather gets a bit nasty and the guys can gather their chairs and adult beverage. Sometimes the wives will also join in the fun. We have used many times for large groups for dinner when the weather does allow us to sit outside. We offer it up to others to use for sleeping when a tent might not be so pleasant. I have done vehicle repairs inside in comfort and light when the weather is not so nice or dark or .....I am sure others have found many great uses for an enclosed trailer, especially when boon-docking.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKomar View Post
My GTW for my bounder is listed as 3500lbs.
If your GTW (Gross Trailer Weight rating for your coach is 3500 lbs. you may be able to tow an EMPTY 24' enclosed trailer. Check the weights of the empty trailer then add what you're going to put in it before you buy.

Where you live in the Salt Lake Valley I certainly understand your need for an enclosed trailer for your toys. Good luck
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know I am going to be over rated GCVW, but I am sure I won't have any problems.

The weight limits for towing are set by the frame extension added to the chassis. After some study be some knowledgeable frame people, it was figured that they under rated it by at least 3 times of actual working load. 6-7k is closer to a safe limit. Out of 9 mid to late 90's P30 chassis in the 32-34' range, there have been no chassis or power train failures link to towing that kind of weight. Your mileage on the subject may vary from mine on the subject!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKomar View Post
I know I am going to be over rated GCVW, but I am sure I won't have any problems.
If you're comfortable then I'm good with it..........I don't have a dog in this fight. sounds like you've done your homework.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote