Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Advice on looking at new/used toad pls

Hi
We are looking at a 1996 Tracker to use as a toad. It has been a toad before and has a baseplate. They say that 80% of the 140,000 mi were towing and it has otherwise been garaged. Has AC, auto 3 speed, 4wd, new paint ragtop in good cond.

What should I be looking for when checking it out? I know to make sure that the front hubs are manual but what else goes wrong with these and can I tell?

Thanks
PS Whoa! The price is actually a thousand over the high price listed in the NADA. I'll make an offer but are these worth more in good condition and with a base plats due to their toad use?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

That's 28,000 miles if their 80% is accurate. That equates to a little over 2,000 per year. That seems awfully low. Trackers are usually called Crappers if that tells you anything.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
are these worth more in good condition and with a base plats due to their toad use?
I can't imagine it would be worth any more than any other like vehicle. Regardless, whether tow ready or not, I would bet that 99.9% of prospective buyers would just be wanting it for the vehicle it is. I can imagine some people may think the tow stuff is a detriment, just because of the unknown. I wouldn't pay a premium for it, not to mention that it's 23 years old as well.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #4

Does the Tracker register mileage when being towed? My '01 Saturn doesn't as do a lot of other makes. My Saturn has 207,000 mi. with additional 70,000 not registered.
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #5

We towed a '96 Geo Tracker 4X4 ragtop for 10 years behind our two previous motorhomes. It was a great little car. Got good milage, a blast to drive on and off road and never had to do anything other than routine maintenance.

Sold it to another guy all set up to tow so got over high blue book as it was in great shape. As I recall, it did not accumulate miles while being towed.

At times I miss its light weight and being able to drop the top on a sunny day.

Keith
Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #6

My 03 tracker doesn't register miles when towing. Ours is very reliable.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
We have owned Trackers in the past. They are great for use as toads. I'm not an expert, but learned a few things along the way.

Speedometer cables are a high failure rate item on them so the odometer reading may not be accurate.

Check the timing belt service history. If it's unknown, plan on replacing it.

They are prone to rust, especially in the rear frame area and cross member that is located just forward of the gas tank. You have to get under the car to check it. I've seen them with the cross member completely rusted away.

Good luck. Hope you found a good one.
oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The old Trackers did accumulate mileage, but more recent ones did not. I had a 2000 and a 2002 and neither did. They weren't the greatest 4x4 SUVs made, but not junk either. Engine a little buzzy, ride only OK, but no particular problem stands out. Fun to drive.

As I recall, he old vintage Trackers had manual hubs hat you had to disengage by hand rather than just shifting in/out 4WD.

I too would be very skeptical of that 80% claim. That's an awful lot of towing and very little non-tow for a 24 YO vehicle. Even if they fulltimed that entire period.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #9

One thing to keep in mind if you buy a car not set up as a TOAD you will spend a minimum of $1,000, more likely close to $2,000 setting it up for TOAD duty even doing a DIY install of the base plate, and braking system even buying the braking system and tow bar used.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
One thing to keep in mind if you buy a car not set up as a TOAD you will spend a minimum of $1,000, more likely close to $2,000 setting it up for TOAD duty even doing a DIY install of the base plate, and braking system even buying the braking system and tow bar used.
Yes! And that is why I was considering this one seriously. From the CL add it appeared that it was in VG condition but they wanted $5400. I went to see it yesterday and found it to see more like good condition due to paint and some rust. That is so far above book that I expressed regret and walked.

Now I find out that they had lowered the asking to $4400 and the nephew of the owner who showed it did not mention it. I am considering going back to check the sub-frame rust that I was warned about in this forum and offering $3400. It is still high but I noticed that,regardless of what NADA the 4WD ones all seem to be priced above $4000.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, toad