Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Actually a missing plunger won't stop you from driving if you don't have a spare.

You can easily pull the fuse for the SMI unit which prevents it from applying the emergency brake.

YES...you do lose the break-away stopping protection until you find a replacement.
Have been thinking about this... assuming there is just one main power fuse for the SMI unit, wouldn't pulling this fuse totally disable the toad's supplemental brakes during towing as well? If someone walked off with the plunger, and I didn't have a spare, I would be without toad brakes and the breakaway function (while towing), correct?

I'm thinking of mounting an SPST switch in series with the breakaway switch wiring so I can remove the plunger while not towing and have the AF1 unit see the circuit as closed (assuming it's normally-closed with the plunger in, otherwise the switch would be in the other position if the circuit is normally-open). I would have to be careful to locate the switch in a spot where it couldn't be inadvertently activated during normal driving. The only drawback to this that I can see is it introduces an additional -- and very important -- step into the process.

But... this assumes the AF1 derives its power from the toad's battery, rather than from the coach. If it's from the coach, the AF1 should be completely off and non-functional during non-towing, regular toad driving. The installation included a battery charge line from the coach so I will have to take a look at the wiring to see how it's connected.

-Barry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #16

Good Morning, Barmats.
The AFO system only uses that power for the breakaway function. Normal operation uses air pushed from the coach, so it will not affect the toad unless it breaks free. I have attached a wiring diagram from the AFO that shows how the breakaway is wired (the air lines from the coach to toad are not illustrated).

The unit has no pump to activate break away. It has a tank filled with air from the coach that is released in a breakaway situation via a Mac valve. A very overlooked feature is the cap up front on the l bracket. It has a slit in it to allow any air to escape the system if possible. this will help but it not fail safe.

If i wanted to make sure the breakaway does not come on during driving, I would remove the air line to the actuator. It will disable the system, for sure.

Hope this helps
Edit:I apologize, the AFO wiring diagram is not in an acceptable format to upload.
PM me with email addy and i can send if needed.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Good Morning, Barmats.
The AFO system only uses that power for the breakaway function. Normal operation uses air pushed from the coach, so it will not affect the toad unless it breaks free. I have attached a wiring diagram from the AFO that shows how the breakaway is wired (the air lines from the coach to toad are not illustrated).

The unit has no pump to activate break away. It has a tank filled with air from the coach that is released in a breakaway situation via a Mac valve. A very overlooked feature is the cap up front on the l bracket. It has a slit in it to allow any air to escape the system if possible. this will help but it not fail safe.

If i wanted to make sure the breakaway does not come on during driving, I would remove the air line to the actuator. It will disable the system, for sure.

Hope this helps
Edit:I apologize, the AFO wiring diagram is not in an acceptable format to upload.
PM me with email addy and i can send if needed.
Thanks for the info... PM sent!

-Barry
Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #18

Interesting topic. I never gave thought to someone stealing the plunger.

One thing I did was to remove the dangling cable on the plunger because it just looked to awkward and noticeable. I replaced it with a heavy key ring about 1.25" size. I also spray painted all the "shiny parts" (electrical plug, key ring) with flat black to help blend the front end. Of course, the paint only lasts a season and then needs another 30 second coat.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a ESCO break-away switch (came with AF1).
Could not find a plunger for it, OR the plunger was more than a new switch.

So I bought a Bargman switch ($8.95), the plungers are interchangable.

Always good to have a back-up.

Dan
Old 02-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Interesting topic. I never gave thought to someone stealing the plunger.
I hadn't either until I read a post about people removing one side of the towbar's lock pins and then hiding out nearby to see what happens when the MH and toad pulls away. I was appalled that this could happen. I think you're pretty safe in a campground overnight, but it's apparently the parking lots where you have to be careful. Also things like the safety cables and breakaway lines going missing. You just have to take precautions and always do a visual check before getting back on the road.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I have a ESCO break-away switch (came with AF1).
Could not find a plunger for it, OR the plunger was more than a new switch.

So I bought a Bargman switch ($8.95), the plungers are interchangable.

Always good to have a back-up.

Dan
Thanks, Dan. Good to know that the Bargman switch has the same plunger as the Esco. My AF1 also uses an Esco switch.

-Barry
Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Barmats,

When you have a chance can you post some pictures. I would like to see where they mounted the wiring and air connector on the bumper and the location of the AFO under the hood.

Thanks and happy travels
Pics of AF1 unit under hood and breakaway switch/wiring connector/air under bumper. Note that this is not the OEM bumper - everything was attached to a plate that was bolted to existing captive nuts welded into the underside of the LoD bumper for a skid plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6679.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	119061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6681.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	119062  

Old 02-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #23

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
August West & Barmats,

Thanks for posting the photos of the AFO hook ups. I was a little nervous about the hook ups being under the bumper and possibly getting damaged if off roading. But I haven't heard of anyone having any issues.

Marc
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led