Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

AF1 installed and ready to head south!

Finally got the coach and Jeep back from the shop with the SMI Air Force One installed. DW and I will be heading south at the end of the month to escape the frigid MN winter. We plan on dewinterizing in Iowa or Kansas, depending on the temps, then making our way to Palm Springs where we have reservations for 3 weeks. From there we head up to Vegas for a few more weeks, then we'll wind our way back home for some family obligations. Otherwise, you couldn't pay me to return to MN this time of year!

One thing about the AF1 concerns me - the plunger for the breakaway switch on the bumper stays plugged in at all times with a wire connecting loop (for the cable) hanging down. After reading about towbar pins and safety cables being tampered with in parking lots, I realize there's nothing to prevent the plunger from being yanked out and taken when I'm driving and parking the Jeep. Without the plunger, the jeep cannot be driven. I suppose I could run a small cable lock through the wire loop and around the bumper or frame. I also truly hope that something like this would never happen. What do you guys do when driving and parking your toad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	118610  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

We carry a spare switch, plunger and cable. Got it at O'Rielly's Auto parts because we've had the switch fail in the past. Each time I take off, be it the first run of the day, or a stop in the rest area for relief or a change in drivers, I do a walk around. Never had a problem, but it takes 2 minutes.

I also have a couple of spare plungers in the toad. Use one when driving it and another for a spare.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

I would imagine the O'Reilly's switch and parts is generic, correct? And did you get the spare plungers from the brake manufacturer?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I would imagine the O'Reilly's switch and parts is generic, correct? And did you get the spare plungers from the brake manufacturer?
I think I bought them from O'Reilly's too. We've had 3 vehicles set up for toads at one time or another and when we sell them I de-toad them and save all old components---just in case. But then again, I'm a pack rat.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually a missing plunger won't stop you from driving if you don't have a spare.

You can easily pull the fuse for the SMI unit which prevents it from applying the emergency brake.

YES...you do lose the break-away stopping protection until you find a replacement.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Actually a missing plunger won't stop you from driving if you don't have a spare.

You can easily pull the fuse for the SMI unit which prevents it from applying the emergency brake.

YES...you do lose the break-away stopping protection until you find a replacement.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #7

I aklso have a spare plunger and cable. Purchased from dealer who installed the AF1.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #8

Barmats
If I may ask ,who did the install on the AF1
MNAZMike
MNAZMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD5DBV ROY View Post
I aklso have a spare plunger and cable. Purchased from dealer who installed the AF1.
I think having spares of each is a good idea. I've ordered a spare plunger from the shop that did the install, and perhaps I'll order a spare cable, too.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNAZMike View Post
Barmats
If I may ask ,who did the install on the AF1
MNAZMike
I had a shop called Crystal Welding do the installation. Initially, I was put off by the name, and wondered what a welding shop would know about anything to do with a supplemental braking system. But during a phone call to SMI, they gave this shop a strong recommendation and said they've done hundreds of AF1 installations. The tech who did the work at the shop told me that he's done dozens of installs on Jeep Wranglers, and he certainly seemed to know his stuff. When you walk in the door to their shop, you see hitches, braking systems, and all sorts of related equipment and parts. And when I asked about a brake light notification LED in the coach they knew exactly what to do and where to put it.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Barmats
Thanks for reply,I'm familiar with Crystal Welding , glad they did a good
job for you. Have a wonderful & safe trip and enjoy the warm weather.

MNAZMike
MNAZMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Barmats,

When you have a chance can you post some pictures. I would like to see where they mounted the wiring and air connector on the bumper and the location of the AFO under the hood.

Thanks and happy travels
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #13

I have a few pictures of an install on a '13 Wrangler. I hope it helps if needed.
Two different locations to mount the AFO unit, up top is easiest. Down by the radiator is very hidden and neat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Box Location.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	118871   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1654.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	118872  

Name:	DSC_1650.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	118873  
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Barmats,

When you have a chance can you post some pictures. I would like to see where they mounted the wiring and air connector on the bumper and the location of the AFO under the hood.

Thanks and happy travels
I will take some pics today or tomorrow and post them. Other than the breakaway switch mounting (I'm not running the OEM bumper), everything else is probably similar or the same as the '13 Wrangler pics just posted.

Tags
install, led