Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Air Force One install

Talked to RV dealer just north of Atlanta this afternoon about a brake system for my 2008 Wrangler 4 Dr. He said that for the system and the intall as well as the prep for the air manifold on the MH it would cost something like $1770. This does not include anything to do with the baseplate and brake light wiring.
Thought that sounded a bit too much. If you don't mind saying, what did you pay for your (or similar) system and installation? Anyone install their own and how difficult was it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #2

Call camping world they will give you an rough estimate.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is an install video on you tube. My link didn't work but you can google it.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
My base plates, Blue Ox, for my Wangler took all of an hour. Had to remove the bumper, drill 4 holes and bolt on the base plates then reinstall the bumper. The reason I removed the bumper was so I could use a drill press. As far as the wiring, I bought a towing light kit from NAPA for $50.00. All for less then $200.00.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not quite the same but my SMI Stay N Play duo for gas MH's was $1000 plus three - four hour install as I remember. So that price you got may not be so outrageous. Here is SMI's # 812-428-2794. Maybe they can assist.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #6

Looks like the unit is going for about $1000 on the WEB. We've had ours for over 6 years so what I paid won't compute. I installed the whole system in an RV park in Valdez, Alaska after our Blue Ox system died on the way north. It was our third failure and I was not going to send it back again. When I finally got home after a GREAT summer in AK, I did have to fabricate a couple of brackets and put some protective hose covering over some of the brake line runs, but any reasonably handy individual can do the install themselves. I've since switched the unit to two new coaches, and the second new toad, and it's still working fine. You'll be pleased with the system when you get it in. We've run about 110,000 miles on the unit. I also found that if you have a question when installing it, the folks at SMI are more than helpful.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #7

I guess I get the prize for paying the highest price $2865.00 dealer installed Blue Ox invsi brake system with anti theft locks & a cover if I leave it hang on the back but I am sure it is installed correctly and I just pull a fuse after placing it in neutral
Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Air Force One and Demco base plate was just under $1000. (Install only) Base plate, tow bar were additional i purchased directly from Demco.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A friend and I each paid $1500 for the full install, different rigs, different vendors @ different rallys.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thanks guys, the fellow at the dealership said I might be able to find a cheaper install, but he was sure I could find a more expensive one.
Trying to decide do I want to just get a new Jeep or go with the 08 that has 60K + miles on it. I don't want to have to take the darn thing off in a few years and reinstall on another vehicle.

Am checking the install video next thing
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Trying to decide do I want to just get a new Jeep or go with the 08 that has 60K + miles on it. I don't want to have to take the darn thing off in a few years and reinstall on another vehicle.

Am checking the install video next thing
Old Jeeps never die, unless rear ended by a lady doing 50!

I had 80k miles on our '07 (and probabley 35 - 40k as a toad) and had no plans to trade it until it was totalled. Up to that point I'd had zero problems with it.

I think the CJ / Wrangler is one of the few vehicles worth putting money into to keep on the road as a well maintained one will hold its value for decades beyond the original purchase.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Old Jeeps never die, unless rear ended by a lady doing 50!

I had 80k miles on our '07 (and probabley 35 - 40k as a toad) and had no plans to trade it until it was totalled. Up to that point I'd had zero problems with it.

I think the CJ / Wrangler is one of the few vehicles worth putting money into to keep on the road as a well maintained one will hold its value for decades beyond the original purchase.
JM,
Gotta tell ya I always had this admiration for people with a Jeep with an oldfashioned Y bar on the front bumper, pulled up and driving around on the trails. That way if in a jam a fellow Jeepster just attaches the bar to the hitch and back you get! No messy tow rope over longer distances, yea need the tow rope to get out of the rut or off the rocks but other than that the trip back to camp is easy. The bar on the bumper also adds to the ruggedized look. Those tow bars are with a couple of hundred and should be rather reasonable to attack as every thing is out front and no plastics to mess with.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
for braking i use a brakebuddy no connection that could void jeep warranty and less than 5 min to install,tow bar is a blue ox set up ,did base plate my self in less than 2 hours. it was so easy i am going to add my 12 explorer to my toad stable ,purchased a base plate for 200 bux off a guy that bought a 2011 ex with a toad kit attached and had no use for it.
brianj
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #14

Here is the type of image that is stuck in my brains from decades ago.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data.../IMG_00883.JPG
or
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...2iFxJd48zdxybk

Here is the modern version.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...v5lpbX3XcAca04

Tags
install