Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Airforce One and Freightliner Warranty

I was told by a dealer that I bought my used Ventana from that if you install a Airforce One break system, that it voids your Freightliner warranty. Is this true?
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #2

Hello, ssignor.

That is completely untrue.
Freightliner cannot void your warranty because of the system.

It is 100% illegal to void a manufacturer's warranty merely because of the presence of an aftermarket product. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (United States federal law 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) protects the consumer and states that in order to void a warranty, the aftermarket product must be 1. Related to the system in question (aftermarket radio can't void the braking system) and 2. The aftermarket must be proven to have cause the problem. The burden of proof is 100% on the manufacturer.

The Air Force One is DOT compliant and will not adversely affect your coach when installed properly. That dealer flat out lied to you.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I just spoke to Freightliner and they said "We don't recommend them, but if it wasn't the Air Force One that caused a problem, it won't void the warrantee"

Kinda grey, so I guess you take your chances...

Thanks to August West for his post...
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That sounds a bit overstated...

I just had a fuel injector replaced by a Freightliner Service facility on our coach with an Air Force One brake system installed... It was covered...actually by Cummins.

Spartan has actually collaborated with SMI to come up with an easy way to install the AF1 system without cutting any air lines in the Spartan chassis.

I would imagine the truth to be more like...if you require service on your Freightliner Air Brake system due to a mechanical issue...and the cause of the mechanical issue is directly attributable to an incorrectly installed after market supplemental brake system...they won't pay for those repairs. And why would you expect them to??? Components that otherwise fail...that are in no way influenced by the supplemental braking system should be covered.

I installed one on our coach...and I really like the design. It uses DOT approved components...and is designed in a way which mirrors the original air brake system design. It's isolated from the other two systems...has its own check valve and reservoir tank (or tanks if you include the breakaway tank in the control unit.)

I do a very extensive system check each month on our air braking system. I have not detected a single flaw in the system...before or after the AF-1 brake system. Specifically...I see no timed leakdowns in either of the Spring Brake or Service Brake systems resulting from the installation.

If you have a chance to study the air brake system on our chassis...you will be amazed at how redundant the system is and how fail safe it is designed to be. All you have to do is run some operational tests...to check for problems, and have them addressed should they arrise.

There is another supplemental braking system manufacturer out there that doesn't go to the trouble of isolating their system like SMI does...and they simply state on thier website that the onboard compressor can easily supply more air than can leak from 1/4" air line. That statement didn't fly with me...so I went with the SMI system.

If you want it straight from the horses mouth...I recommend a call to Gaffney Freightliner. I've noticed all the other independent Freighliner shops are very quick to point out what is NOT covered. They get a fixed payment from Freightliner/Cummins for warranty work...but if they can find a way around that...it's $150 /hr out of your pocket. Believe me...they make out like bandits when they can charge you the shop rate.

When we had our Ventana towed to Orlando Freightliner...they drummed the fact fact home...if the problem happened to be an issue related to road debris cutting a wire or damaging a part...we weren't covered for "road hazards"... It was a humiliating experiencd to listen to them attempt to grovel out of any responsibility for keeping our 5 month old coach with 3,400 miles working. Before they even step foot near it.

From what I understand...Gaffney is about the only place I've heard of that really treats the RV chassis folks with respect...and seem to take pride in keeping them running.

This is just one opinion. Good luck in your research.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Went to another dealer today (NIRVC) and they told me the same thing, but they stated they install these all the time and they just did 3 yesterday.

C.Martin:
"I would imagine the truth to be more like...if you require service on your Freightliner Air Brake system due to a mechanical issue...and the cause of the mechanical issue is directly attributable to an incorrectly installed after market supplemental brake system...they won't pay for those repairs. And why would you expect them to???"

I think you are correct on that and you are also correct that I would not expect them to cover it and pay for that. It should be out of my pocket or maybe the shop that installed it (good luck)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Hello, ssignor.

That is completely untrue.
Freightliner cannot void your warranty because of the system.

It is 100% illegal to void a manufacturer's warranty merely because of the presence of an aftermarket product. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (United States federal law 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) protects the consumer and states that in order to void a warranty, the aftermarket product must be 1. Related to the system in question (aftermarket radio can't void the braking system) and 2. The aftermarket must be proven to have cause the problem. The burden of proof is 100% on the manufacturer.

The Air Force One is DOT compliant and will not adversely affect your coach when installed properly. That dealer flat out lied to you.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 08-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I talked to NIRVC service and they told me they would not install an Airforce One on Feightliner chassis. So I just ordered the RVI2 as I did not want to mess with any warranties on this $200k beast.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssignor View Post
I talked to NIRVC service and they told me they would not install an Airforce One on Feightliner chassis. So I just ordered the RVI2 as I did not want to mess with any warranties on this $200k beast.
Ouch...

The AF-1 is pretty easy to install yourself. The coach portion is super easy. You only have to cut a couple of pieces of metal to fashion a bracket for the quick connect on the rear of the coach and a mount for the air tank/relay valve...and bolt them on...drain the air tanks...assemble two tee air fittings...cut and push-to-connect the air lines...route the 1/4" line along the door side frame rail and secure it with cable ties...and go back and spray soapy water on the fittings to check for leaks after airing up the system.

It was my first time...so I sent a picture to SMI of the air lines on my coach with a wrap of red electrical tape where I intended to cut...they confirmed I picked the correct ones.

The vehicle end is very straight forward...but takes a bit of climbing around, and popping off trim to route the wiring for the LED coach notification light strip.

It's really too bad that people get turned off by the "warranty" issue...or listening to dealers that, in my opinion, haven't taken the time to see the merits...or simply want to sell what they have in stock.

I haven't found a single case of anyone regretting their decision to install the AF-1 supplemental braking system yet. Even on a Freightliner chassis.

Sorry for the rant. Really, they all perform the same function...and the most important thing is that you are happy with the braking system you chose.

Tags
freightliner