Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

All hooked up and nowhere to go :(

Fiat got his base plate today. I’m pretty sure even with the rock screen on the Blue OX the paint will be trashed if we traveled now (especially as low as it sits) .We have appt next week to apply paint protection and then hopefully we can go somewhere. It seems like it is raining everywhere close enough for a nice weekend trip anyway; so I guess this is the perfect time to get set up right. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8249.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	243308
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

Just wondering, what is the "paint protection" you are referring to?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

It's just a car. All cars get rock chips and parking lot rash.
Hit the road!

Actually a good ceramic coating would help maintain the paint. Expect to pay around $800 for that.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have mud flaps behind your drive tires? If so, you should be fine.

I've towed the same vehicle (very low to the ground), for about 20,000 mi.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:31 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

Get a Protect-A-Tow, well worth it. Also, I have rad that mud flps cause more damage thn not. Probably depends on distance etc.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Get a Protect-A-Tow, well worth it. Also, I have rad that mud flps cause more damage thn not. Probably depends on distance etc.
the large one piece “sweep” type of flaps near the rear bumper of many class A’s are useless. I took ours off and cut it into two regular mud flaps and used the angle bracket it came with to fabricate a holder for the mud flaps. I then mounted them as close to the rear duals as possible.

There are several threads available on this topic with before and after pics. We did a 10k trip to Alaska last summer and our mud flaps worked perfectly. All trucks you see have them for a good reason. They work if properly mounted.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

We have Tow Defender screen on the Blue Ox. Our Jeep was charcoal colored and towed without paint protection (the clear film) and without the screen. It looked like all hell afterwards. When we bought the black truck brand new we immediately had the film put on , as well as bought the tow defender. Five years later it still looks brand new. I believe black would be about the worst and just like to keep it as nice as possible. The fiat being so small the film is much cheaper than it was for the truck. That being said if it was not raining cats and dogs everywhere within a half day from us; we would take off this weekend with or without the film; but long term I am believer in it preserving the paint and light covers.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

We have used the PAT for 3 years and no chips at all. The PAT is a different shape than the Tow Defender and hooks on to the bumper of the MH and the car, a bit tighter "seal".

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We like RVing when it's raining....really sounds neat on the roof at night when you're going to sleep.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegirl2u View Post
Fiat got his base plate today. I’m pretty sure even with the rock screen on the Blue OX the paint will be trashed if we traveled now (especially as low as it sits) .We have appt next week to apply paint protection and then hopefully we can go somewhere. It seems like it is raining everywhere close enough for a nice weekend trip anyway; so I guess this is the perfect time to get set up right. Attachment 243308
Paint on my fiat 500 never got trashed.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgood View Post
Paint on my fiat 500 never got trashed.
21k miles on my Fiat 500 and mine is fine. Slow down on dirt roads you will be fine and x2 on good fitting mud flaps.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #12

The right size mud flaps inside the fender well right behind the tires is the best protection. They will stop the majority of the rocks as long as they are at least wider than the tires and within 6" of the ground. They can be as low as 4" of the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser Wheel Well.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	245425  
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #13

Don't worry about the paint being chipped on your Fiat. It doesn't have much resale value to begin with, so a few paint chips won't matter. Just take off and have fun, stop worrying.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Don't worry about the paint being chipped on your Fiat. It doesn't have much resale value to begin with, so a few paint chips won't matter. Just take off and have fun, stop worrying.
I would just get good fitting mudflaps as others say , if you run over a boulder you have other issues! As far as resale value, I wouldn't know but my Pickup has been in the family since new, 29 years and could care less about resale but I don't want the new black paint messed up! JMO, Bobby

'06 Itasca Sunova 8.1/4l85e, retired 90 Dakota Convertible Toad, 2015 Kia Soul (SunovaToad)
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote