Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Angry Aluminum Aladdin tow bar shot after 4 years

I got some expensive news from the Blue Ox tech this morning at the Hershey RV show. I was looking forward to a $25.00 rebuild like the guy next to me just received on his really worn looking bar. Our 4 year old Aladdin tow bar was deemed "shot" in his words. Even though it looked like new, the aluminum bars were coming disconnected from the ends that attach to the TOAD. Coincidence that the new ones use steel rather than aluminum? The replacement parts cost $600 to replace both. I traded in mine on the spot for a new one.

It kind of stinks having to replace a bar only 4 years old with only about 12,000 miles on it. I've always stored it inside and covered when not it use. I'm sure the tech was being honest with me (he did just rebuild a much crappier looking one next to me for $25.00). I would consider this more of a design/manufacturing defect than wear and tear. The parts that broke are not moving or lubeable areas and no maintenance could have prevented their failure. Blue Ox also makes those parts out of steel now.

Just a warning to all those with aluminum Aladdin tow bars. Get yours checked out no matter how nice and clean and new it still looks. I was told mine could have failed at any moment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Aluminum has a limited modulus of elasticity, but there are still DC3"s flying around. I would be seeking an adjustment, that they are being being replaced implies they know they have a problem and they should be held responsible.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche
Aluminum has a limited modulus of elasticity, but there are still DC3"s flying around. I would be seeking an adjustment, that they are being being replaced implies they know they have a problem and they should be held responsible.
Agreed. But I was dealing directly with Blue Ox at the show and they weren't offering anything more than the standard $150 trade-in. After I got home, I realized I could have bought a new one from RVUpgrades.com for $50 less than the "trade-in" deal at the show. Needless to say I'm not a happy Blue Ox customer.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would call Blue Ox directly and deal with the factory direct. They are a very respected supplier in the industry and I am sure they don't want to see this type of publicity, especially if they already know they have a problem. Nothing to loose but a phone call.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time
I would call Blue Ox directly and deal with the factory direct. They are a very respected supplier in the industry and I am sure they don't want to see this type of publicity, especially if they already know they have a problem. Nothing to loose but a phone call.
I sent an email off to Blue Ox with my thoughts in the matter. We'll see what Monday brings...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Had the exact same experience at the Tampa RV Show this past January. Our Aladdin was 4 years old and we replaced it with the steel Blue Ox.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall

I sent an email off to Blue Ox with my thoughts in the matter. We'll see what Monday brings...
Blue Ox resolved the situation to my satisfaction. My email to the Hershey show Blue Ox rep was forwarded to the warranty department. A few days later I received an email from the Blue Ox president, cc'd to a gentleman named Paul, that he was looking into the situation for me. Within minutes of me receiving that email, Paul called me on the phone. I explained my feelings about the early failure of the tow bar and he offered me a substantial discount on the new bar I bought in Hershey.

Although I wish I didn't have to replace my tow bar at this time, I feel what they offered me was fair and I commend Blue Ox for stepping up.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4 years is an interesting time frame.. You need to check out the Consumer Protection Act or laws in the state you purchased the tow bar in...

you know that line in the warranty: "You may have other rights which vary from state to state"?

Well those rights are in the consumer protection laws, Often these laws are based upon the federal guideline: Uniform Commercial Code. (NOTE this is a guidline, not so much a law) and at 4 years less a day you may still have warranty left.. Depending on just how your state's legislator read that code and implemented it.

The law really DOES vary from state to state however, so I am unable to tell you more than "Check it out" or "Contact a lawyer specializing in UCC or Consumer rights"

And that latter one may well cost you more than 600 bucks.