Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #1

Aluminum Car trailer

Still contemplating a surge brake tow dolly or now looking into aluminum car trailers. I've got a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. and a 3100lb car. (VW jetta automatic). I like the idea of a trailer because I can use it for other things like towing 4 wheelers, lumber with my other vehicle etc. I've seen 18' trailers that weigh as little as 1300lbs, so total weight towed is still below my limit. Anybody towing a car on an aluminum trailer and have any thoughts?

2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

I have seen dollys modified and used as small trailers. Something to ponder if you don't need a big trailer and have a dolly. I'm considering it.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #3

I don't have either. What I am debating is buying either a tow dolly or a flat bed dual axle aluminum trailer so I can use it for more than just towing our Jetta. The steel and wood deck trailers are too heavy.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

One of the guys I race with pulls a big Jag street car on a Featherlite aluminum trailer behind his triple axle monaco. It's certainly stylish.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Nomad,
I have a Mastertow tow dolly that I am really pleased with.I tow a 2012 Hyundai,but I believe with what you want to do you may be better off getting a trailer.I have a Harley Ultra and one of the good people on this forum modified a dolly to carry his bike and tow his car.I can't remember his tag name,but maybe he will chime in and give you another option.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #6

nomad10th,
While we don't own one, we have towed our Jeeps on an aluminum trailer and it was nice because of the main fact of it being considerably lighter than a steel one of the same length and construction layout. We have a trailer outlet near our home and, without a doubt, even the simple aluminum ones look elegant.

There is no doubt about it, if I was in the market for a car trailer, I'd look seriously at an aluminum one. And, also there's no doubt about it, you'd pay considerably more for that "lightness". I'm not a fan of dollies. I'd rather have a trailer if, I had to haul a car or truck that was not flat towable. At least you can back a trailer if needed.
Scott

Below is just one of the many that are featured as we drive by daily. Yep, a bit pricey but, look at the specs. Fairly impressive.

8218 18-Foot Tilt - $7,001.00

Hitch Style: Bumper Pull D-Ring Floor Tie Downs
4-Wheel Brakes
Aluminum Wheels
LED Lights
Removable Fenders
Stake Pockets
2014 Aluma 18-foot 82"x216" all-aluminum 8218 Open Tilt Trailer. Tandem rubber torsion axles, 7000# GVWR, empty weight 1350#, 2-5/16" coupler, 14" aluminum wheels, 4-wheel electric brakes, LED lighting package, four 5000# tie downs, 8 stake pockets, removable aluminum fenders, safety-chains, swivel tongue jack. VIN #1YGHD1822EB104778
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We tow our Jeep on an Aluma 24' aluminium car hauler. We have traversed the entire US with it so far, zero problems. IMO a dolly is a complete waste of money, not even sure why people even buy them. Our trailer weighs 1300 lbs, with our Jeep loaded we are around 6500 lbs.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have towed a VW Jedda Diesel and now a new VW Passat Diesel with a Demco Tow Dolly. The reason I chose a dolly was the problem of storing the trailer when you reach your destination. With the dolly I unhook it and run the tongue up under the coach with only the wheels and ramps sticking out. With a trailer you need more space to park it.

I also own a trailer but use it around home for other purposes.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

Yeah, what I had not done until today was really priced the aluminum trailers. Jeez! We're talking 2-3 times the cost of a regular flatbed trailer. Back to the drawing board.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used to tow a Jetta on a Roadmaster steerable tow dolly. It was fantastic other than the tires wore very bad. I also didn't like having to lay on the ground in inclement weather (even with a rug) to secure the safety chains. The other negative was backing up, absolutely zero chance in case of an error (also true with 4 wheel down method).

I currently use primarily an enclosed trailer (your weight restrictions won't allow), but securing the vehicle to me is easier than a dolly. I have used several methods to secure the vehicle, the one I have found most favorable is looping the ratchet strap through the wheel. I put a rag on the wheel where the strap goes through to make sure I don't scratch the wheel. This method allows the vehicle to ride on it's own suspension and the straps don't loosen up. When I used wheel bonnets on front tires and then use the hook in back for ratchet straps things always loosened up.

I also believe that electric trailer brakes would be far superior to tow dolly surge brakes, but that is my opinion, not a fact.

Drawback to trailer is storage, but as of yet (knock on wood), this hasn't been an issue.

I also believe you will have much less wear and tear on your vehicle on the trailer vs tow dolly, especially paint chips on the front end from road debris.

Unfortunately, there is no one method that is the best in my opinion, there are compromises no matter which method you choose. Therefore you must choose what method that is best for you. Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #11

I like the trailer vs. the dolly also but what do you do with it when you get to a campground or destination?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I currently use primarily an enclosed trailer (your weight restrictions won't allow), but securing the vehicle to me is easier than a dolly. I have used several methods to secure the vehicle, the one I have found most favorable is looping the ratchet strap through the wheel. I put a rag on the wheel where the strap goes through to make sure I don't scratch the wheel. This method allows the vehicle to ride on it's own suspension and the straps don't loosen up. When I used wheel bonnets on front tires and then use the hook in back for ratchet straps things always loosened up.
That method of tie down will wear out the shocks and other suspension components faster than flat towing due to the extra movements of the trailer. You should be pulling down on the frame 2 front and 2 rear. The straps should be X pattern. That way it can't move in any direction and the suspension will be saved.
If you get a new vehicle often, the easiest method is good.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
That method of tie down will wear out the shocks and other suspension components faster than flat towing due to the extra movements of the trailer. You should be pulling down on the frame 2 front and 2 rear. The straps should be X pattern. That way it can't move in any direction and the suspension will be saved.
If you get a new vehicle often, the easiest method is good.
Actually you are incorrect
the best way to reduce unwanted stress to the frames and other components, is to use the wheel straps and let the car/truck suspension absorb the road jarring events. Trailers are not designed to ride smooth and they ride very harsh.
I have towed my truck for over 6k miles using over the wheel straps and have suffered no premature wearing of shocks. I have 56k on the truck now.
i watch my truck with the rear camera and it rides pretty smooth.
I will say the parts that have worn out and been replaced are two set of trailer tires, and a set pf springs after a real bad blow out, using a tex star china tire.
my previous set of tires mid june, carlise failed after the tread started to spilt in the center of the tread along the circumference , now we have tow master radials and they are doing real well
and YES we are at gvwr of the trailer almost all the time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 037.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	41980  
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I like the trailer vs. the dolly also but what do you do with it when you get to a campground or destination?
We leave our trailer hooked up to motorhome, very rarely ever un-hook it. We always get a pull through. We have on a very few rare situations had to use a back in site, but still no biggie, just backed it all in.

In past 13 months have traveled over 10k+ miles and stayed at 40+ parks, so feel like I have seen a pretty broad spectrum.