Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Always Double Check

Had the baseplate, breakaway switch and the wiring harness installed on the new Grand Cherokee this past week. All went well. The wiring harness was an easy install, plug and play from DEMCO. Since I am recovering from back surgery, I am unable to do any of the work myself. When I got home I decided to check out the harness using my Suburban. Since it's set up for towing our old trailer and has the same 7-way plug as the coach does, it was an easy test. The trouble was, it didn't work, as in the lights didn't work. Since I had done the harness install on the previous Cherokee, I decided to take a look. What I found was that shop had neglected to install the ground wire from the new harness. they just tucked it away and ignored it or didn't see it. I drilled a hole and shot a sheet metal screw in it, and the lights work great.

Moral of the story; never assume that because a commercial shop did the work, doesn't mean it's right.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Who did your work?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Who did your work?
Actually, shouldn't that be who was it that didn't do the work??
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Who did your work?
It was a local shop. I know the owner personally. He is meticulous and a bit of a perfectionist. He had one of the young guys in the shop do the work, since it was a simple plug-n-play, and route the wires job. When I told him about the issue, he apologized and sounded pretty ticked off. I had taken a picture of the white ground wire that had been left unattached and hanging. He asked me to send him the picture. I don't think that installer's day ended very well . The owner does great work, and I have complete trust in him. I will just make sure that he oversees any work done on my stuff from now on.

This wasn't a life altering mistake, and as busy as they were, could have been an honest oversight, but if I hadn't been so much of a worrier about making sure everything is done and checked (I think my wife calls it obsessed), it would have been a pain in the a$$ next Tuesday when I pick up the coach and had no lights on the toad.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine the shop not testing the lights after the job was finished!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I can't imagine the shop not testing the lights after the job was finished!
That's the disturbing part, because when I was in there 3 days earlier, and taking about the work to be done, one of his techs was checking out the trailer plug of a truck, with a plug in module. it displays the status of running lights, signals, brakes and ground. Had he plugged that into my harness, the problem would have been obvious.