Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
WDW

Annual baseplate inspection

Does anyone do annual base plate inspection? Is it necessary to have the bolts retorqued? I can see where this would be a PITA and require front bumper facial removal.

Curious.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

WDW-

After 10,000 miles of towing, we had our toad's baseplate bolts inspected. Several of the eight were loose enough to retighten. The mechanic got to them without fascia/garnish removal, although we did have to take off the upper grille and fog lights. He was unable to apply a torque wrench (due to limited clearances), so we went with what we could do for now.

At some point I'll ask him to remove the rest of the plastic and re-work the bolts, substituting Grade 8 bolts and applying thread-locking compound, as has been recommended in other threads. This will probably be at a major maintenance, when the extra effort won't amount to much. Until then, it's inspect and tighten.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
substituting Grade 8 bolts and applying thread-locking compound
In MY opinion as an engineer, Grade 8 bolts are NOT necessary. The tinsel strength of a common Grade 5 - 1/2" bolt is 120,000 PSI and your baseplate is likely held on with 4-6 of them.

The tinsel strength of a Grade 8 is 150,000 PSI.

While a proper torque is a good obective, Rule #1 is ALWAYS use a thread locking compound on ANYTHING that you don't want to come loose, especially on parts that (may) move against each other.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
WDW, in my opinion annual inspection of both the bolts and the base plates (for metal fatigue) is mandatory. We had a Saturn that we were towing, I noticed a looseness in the tow bar and when I checked I found several of the attachment point had broken, not the welds, but the metal bracket itself. I had a welder reassemble everything, adding gussets everywhere possible, then once we got home replaced the entire bracket.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

When I installed mine to our Subi Crosstrek, I planned ahead. Used Locktite, and doubled nutted the bolts. Those puppies are not coming off!
Plan ahead and you won't have to worry about it.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
LockTite during installation, Check them visually before every major trip. I put a wrench on them once a year.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #7

Our toad is a Tracker and the base plate is easy to see. I give the tow bar a good "kick" (more like wiggle it back and forth) looking for any unusual looseness in the system just about every time we stop. I may have tightened it up a bit after the first use, I don't remember, but I'm sure I checked it until it didn't need tightening any more. I haven't tightened it for years. It's a Demco and has been on there since 04. Lately I've been concerned about corrosion and may take it off just to check everything, or maybe it's best to leave it alone. Any thoughts??

I put a base plate on the Metro a few years ago in order to tow it back after driving down to get our MH. It gets much better mileage than the Tracker, but is not nearly as versatile, so we normally tow the Tracker. I will say the base plate on the Metro is a pretty flimsy arrangement compared to the one on Tracker. I will probably try to beef it up a bit if we ever decide to tow it more.

I've often wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to have the safety chains/cables attached to something other than the base plate and tow hitch in case either failed (ie. frame).

Stay safe.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
If the bolts are properly installed with Loctite as required by the manufacturer, no loosening should occur. After 7 years and over 50,000 miles my baseplate is still tight.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If the bolts are properly installed with Loctite as required by the manufacturer, no loosening should occur. After 7 years and over 50,000 miles my baseplate is still tight.

And you know this because you inspect it periodically, that was the OP's original question. Due a periodic inspection even if you used lok title and/or double nuts.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I shake my base plate as hard as I can every stop. And yes I've found it loose.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

I think a good inspection is pretty cheap insurance.

I also use grade 8 bolts. Probably not necessary but they're like $1 more expensive. Again, cheap insurance.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote