Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #1

Another bad EZ Tow Schrader valve

A few weeks ago I posted that when getting ready to return home from the keys I was checking the air pressure on one of my EZ Tow trailer tires and as soon as I pulled the pressure gauge off the tire the air started coming out of the stuck valve. I had 2 spares, so off I go for a 30 minute detour to change the tire.

I asked if this was anything people frequently experienced and several people said sticking valves was common (it's never happened to me over the 40+ years I've been driving and being pretty diligent about checking air pressure in my cars) and that I just had to put some air back in the tire and the valve would probably un-stick.

I finally got around to checking the tire out. I took the metal cap off and the air started coming out again. I hooked up my compressor and filled it back up (now to 75 PSI per EZ Tow's new spec) and when I removed the air filler the tire leaked out again. I tried several times to fill to in-stick the valve and failed. I finally took my Schrader removal tool (which I'm now glad I had) and unscrewed the valve, inspected it (it looked fine), and replaced it. The valve now seems to work fine, although I think I want to get some replacements.

WHile I was at this I decided to check the pressure in my other tires (the ones on my dolly and my other spare) and reduce them to 75 PSI. When I got to the trailer, the first tire I checked ended up with a stuck valve too which I could not seal by putting air back in it. I removed this valve, inspected it and replaced it and now it's holding air too.

I'm using a different pressure gauge than the one I used a few weeks ago, so it's not something that is being caused by the gauge. Clearly there is a problem here. The first leak was on my orignal tire which I bought roughly a year ago. This bad valve was on one of my new spares I bought back last fall.

I'll be contacting EZ Tow to let them know I've had a problem, but I thought I'd check here to confirm I'm the only one having this issue.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #2

I have never had these issues. Were the valve cores the filtered ones or the shorty's?

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have never had these issues. Were the valve cores the filtered ones or the shorty's?
Don't know the difference. They are much longer than other cores I have for other tires

Just got a note back from EZ Tow. They say they've never heard of the problem. However they now use different tires and offered to sell me mew ones.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:15 AM   #4

Wonder if they went with the 12" tires.

The filtered core is much longer. Here are some on Amazon for comparison: Filter Core Photo
Old 04-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #5

The email didn't specify tire size but he mentioned it would raise the height by 0.25 inches.

Those did look like the cores I pulled out although I did not look at the bottom to see if they had the filtering screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Wonder if they went with the 12" tires.

The filtered core is much longer. Here are some on Amazon for comparison: Filter Core Photo
Old 04-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
The email didn't specify tire size but he mentioned it would raise the height by 0.25 inches.

Those did look like the cores I pulled out although I did not look at the bottom to see if they had the filtering screen.
If you check the tire cracking thread, you will see the new tires at the end of the thread.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had this problem on my MH tire after a roadside tire replacement. The guy put balancing beads in the tire but did not change out the fill valve with the required "screened" one. Next time I checked air pressure, the valve stuck and air leaked.
How were your tires balanced?

Tags
tow