Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any comments on New style Colorado/GMC Canyon base plate and towing?

Looking for anyone with experience/recommendations with setting up a new 4WD Colorado or Canyon for flat towing and supplemental brake system. I would be towing with a 32' Class A.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #2

Can't help you with the setup but to protect your warranty you might want to talk to the dealership. If something goes wrong you have a record of seeking advice or even an install from a GM dealership.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

There is a long thread concerning using the newer Colorado/Canyons as toads under "RV Forums Toads and Towing" it will answer most of your questions.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #4

The Roadmaster base plate connects where the existing tow hooks are making it about 16 in off the ground.

The Blue Ox base plate connects up in the grill area and I think it is about 22 in off the ground.

Measure your motorhome hitch and pick one that matches it best.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #5

Roadmaster website says that their baseplate is not for use on vehicles with “Adaptive Cruise Control”. I'm considering a Canyon Denali purchase, and I think it has the ACC, but I don't know for sure. I know it has lane change and following too close alarms. Is this ACC? And why can't the base plates be used?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guessing that the baseplate/towbar would interfere with ACC proximity sensors .
Old 10-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Guessing that the baseplate/towbar would interfere with ACC proximity sensors .
mpinva,

I don't think you (we) have ACC, I'm sure I don't... Maybe the 17 Denali but I don't think so ??? looks like only the SUVs

check this link

GMC Safety Features | Driver Technologies & Innovations

I know on Etrailer the baseplate info for the twins designates with and w/o ACC.

The part numbers are the same.

I use the Blue ox 1721 when installing there was nothing in the front facia indicating a ACC or other sensors except the ambient air temp which had to be r&r to the base plate

I believe all sensors for the lane departure, forward collision, etc are in the rear view mirror

Do a site search using "canyon Colorado" regarding toad info

I and many others have posted a ton of info regarding towing the 2015-2017 4wd twins

Everything you always wanted to know in these posts

including: baseplates, tow lights, brakes, early transfer case issues (resolved) etc

that should cover your concerns

Tags
colorado, tow, towing