Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Any experience towing 4 down F150 1997-2003

I have a 2001 Ford F150 Crew Cab 2WD King Ranch. I am between a DSC(Drive Shaft Coupler) and a lube pump. I also would like to know if anyone has dolly towed the F150 backwards and the results.

If you have experience with this type of vehicle, please share.
Thank you,
Sam
SaSuVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

hey sam how far do you plan to tow your f150.i have a ford ranger that i tow on my master tow dolly.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

towing a 2003 F150 Supercrew

I've been towing my 2003 F150 Super crew since 2004 using a Remco drive shaft disconnect . The unit costs more than a non-crewcab because of the longer drive shaft. The kit includes a new driveshaft with a splined coupling and remote mechanical control. The longer shaft on the crewcab requires an additional bearing and support and ends up being a more expensive two piece drive shaft. That's the only down side I've experienced over the last 8-1/2 years and 28,000 miles. The upside is the simplicity and speed of doing the attaching and unattaching. It takes less than 5 minutes from drive up to drive away including tests of the lights. The only problem encountered was in areas with a salty environments like ocean side and salt covered roads. I hadn't lubed the splines and had to climb under with a small hammer and just TAP the sliding spline loose. Since having sprayed the splines with aerosol white grease spray annually there have been no problems. The aerosol white grease spray is from Harbor Freight or most auto parts stores and should be a part of any RV inventory. Not specifically related is the simple trick of adding an additional light socket inside each crew cab taillight assembly for direct hookup of your towing lights instead of splicing into the trucks lighting system. It's easier to do safer, and more reliable.
eagleman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #4

i tow the F150 about 900 miles twice a year. We looked at the tandem tows but I was worried towing the truck backwards may cause alignment issues. What was been your experience? Wow, the DSC really is incredible. I quoted the parts through Remco at $1600, that is about a grand less than a tandem tow dolly used. Do you have pics of the 12VDC socket adapter?

Thank you,
Sam
SaSuVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing