Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #1

I am new on this web site and interested in a toad braking system. SMI looks interesting to me, but not much written about it. Anybody using one that could give me their thoughts? Thanks, Art. 2001 Winnebago Journey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #2

I am new on this web site and interested in a toad braking system. SMI looks interesting to me, but not much written about it. Anybody using one that could give me their thoughts? Thanks, Art. 2001 Winnebago Journey

Old 06-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #3

I have a SMI Stay-N-Play wireless model called the SMI SilentPartner. I love the system. It doesn't get in the way and is out of sight. At first I had some radio control problems. But relocating the two antennae helped solved the problem. The Latch mode works great in the mountain. If you do a search on RV.Net for Toad braking systems, there is a long post about the pros and cons of several brands of toad braking systems.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Art,

I bought a used SMI unit & had them convert it to a 4 wire stay-n-play. It really works great, no setup time just plugin & turn on the switch. People are not using some of the brake pedal models because it takes a few minutes to setup. You have to plugin to your coach for signal lites etc. & thats all you have to do except turn on the switch. Installed it a little over a year ago & have only put 8800 miles on it but it really does the job & SMI peole are great to work with.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:24 AM   #5

I had an SMI PlugANDPlay installed in my PT Cruiser when we purchased our motorhome. This provided satisfactory service for 1 1/2 years. When SMI introduced the Stay-IN-Play I contacted SMI and was able to upgrade to the Stay-IN-Play. This unit has worked very well and is extremely convenient to use. I also have found the folks at SMI great to work with and would not hesitate to purchase one of their products again.

2002 Winnebago Brave 34D Ford V10
jafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:05 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Just got back from a coast-to-coast trip towing my GMC Canyan with a SMI Stay n Play. Excellent device! It worked perfectly over the Rockies and I would highly recommend SMI.
As mentioned above, SMI has really good customer service; one technitian even gave me his cell phone number.
The installation will take a little loinger that what is advertised if you do the job yourself. The unit would not fit under the drivers or rear seat so it sits in the back floor when I'm towning and when I get home it pulls out in about 20 seconds.
I like the fact that with the Stay n Play there is NO wiring or modifications to the MH. The receiver is vel-crowed to the dash and plugs into a 12v plug.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #7

I installed the SMI Stay N Play in our 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. I love it. Because of a power seat, I do not leave it in, but take it out after each trip. Takes about 45 sec. to put in place and less to remove.
I was not concerned about installation time, just accuarcy, but had no trouble doing so.
Stan & Mary
2003 Georgie Boy Landau 3402 DS
Workhorse Cahsis, 8.1 Chevy eg.,
5 speed Allison tranny
Old 07-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I would first like to welcome Stan and Mary and Arthurval to iRV2. You will find some great people here and helpful responses to your questions. We hope you share your experiences with us as well.
Now for your question, I have the Silent Partner as well and love it. As mentioned, the unit in the car was just a tad to big to fit under my seat, so it sits on the back floor. Easy to take in and out if you need the space for people.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #9

I'm the origional poster and wanted to give an update. I did purchase the SMI Stay-in-play. Installed it myself (on & off for 2 days) Ben on 2000mi trip and am very pleased. Thanks to all. Art 2001 Journey
Old 09-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #11

I can't seem to find an SMI dealer in Salt Lake City. If I buy one "mail order", how dificult is it to install -or- where is a good place to have something like that installed.

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Barney,
I found buying it direct from SMI was the best price. They then gave me a dealer near to me that I used to do the car part of the instal.
I could have bought it from the dealer also, but it was cheaper to buy from SMI and then just pay the labor at the local dealer.
I did the coach part of the instal cause that wasnt too big of a deal. I didnt want to mess with the wiring in the car part which is alittle more complicated than the coach part.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #13

Barney,
My suggestion -- Buy from SMI direct. If you are sort of handy around cars you can certainly install it yourself. SMI staff can talk you thru it. If not ,then most any mechanic can do the job for you. Also,check to see if you have enough space under The drivers seat for the unit. Good luck, Art
Old 10-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the minimum space under the driver's seat that will accommodate the stay n play?
Tx.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote