Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #113

Screen door roller... like it was meant for this!!

I wasn't comfortable drilling a hole in the brake pedal arm, although I'm sure it's plenty strong, I made a detachable bracket to sandwich the arm and hold the pin

Thanks again to "FIRE UP"

Don't know why these pics went sideways.... I can't make it rotate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_83b.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	200049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	200051  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_839.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	200053  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #114

Monaco Owners Club
Here it isClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2129.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	200057
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
So I just started installing my ready brake today. Installing it on a Silverado. I have the cable run to the center of the truck just above the license plate. It’s sticking out quite a bit. Wondering what others have done? I use this truck for more than just a toad and don’t see the plastic connector lasting very long.

Don't know what your grill looks like... But....

I left a couple inches of slack in the cable and tuck the cable/ thimble in a cavity behind the grill

If you do a disconnect at the brake pedal you don't have to worry about the cable moving in and out during non towing use

I also put a stainless nut on the plastic threaded shaft, just because I like stainless

You can adjust your RB connection cable to compensate for the slack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4008.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	200054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4009.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	200055  

Old 04-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I was thinking of putting it there as well but would need some type of angle bracket to mount it to. What did you use?
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #117

Quote:
I was thinking of putting it there as well but would need some type of angle bracket to mount it to. What did you use?
I utilized the 2 metal tubes that are part of the base plate, designed to attach a plug to.

Used flat piece of steel, drilled 2 holes and screwed the steel plate onto the tubes

1 hole in the steel tube for the RB cable conduit

Otherwise, like you say, you'll have to use maybe a piece of angle or ????

Not sure what your front end or base plate looks like

Sorry, thought you were replying to me.....

Beer and a mild smoke may help your innovations !
Old 04-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
I mounted it to a heavy plastic bracket that it there just below the trans cooler. I think it is actually the mount for the cooler.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
A little tough to mount it where I did. If you have the same grill and cooler PM me your phone number and I will explain it to you in depth. Would take me half the time the second time.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #120

Quote:
So I just started installing my ready brake today. Installing it on a Silverado. I have the cable run to the center of the truck just above the license plate. It’s sticking out quite a bit. Wondering what others have done? I use this truck for more than just a toad and don’t see the plastic connector lasting very long.
On my Jeep I mounted a aluminum bracket I made, to the bottom of the baseplate. It's recessed in the bumper
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
On my Jeep I mounted a aluminum bracket I made, to the bottom of the baseplate. It's recessed in the bumper
Where is your emergency break away cable?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #122

Quote:
I installed a Blue Ox baseplate and they provide two rods that allow for the mounting of a connector for lights. I use this to mount a plate I made that holds the end of the cable and the nylon nut. I mounted my four pin connector to the grill of my Fiesta then painted the connector, plate and cable gloss black to match the car and base plate. Here's how it turned out...

BTW - The "plastic" nut is nylon and it showed no deterioration on my old toad after years of being in the sun.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #123

Glad to see this post

Since we are new to The RV lifestyle and are looking at towing systems, I almost had a heart attack when I was quoted $4200 for a complete system to tow or Fiat 500. After looking for hours on the internet I found the readybrake system. It looks easy to install, relatively inexpensive, and appears to be everything needed for us to tow. Glad to see the good reviews.
Lomshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
I installed a Blue Ox baseplate and they provide two rods that allow for the mounting of a connector for lights. I use this to mount a plate I made that holds the end of the cable and the nylon nut. I mounted my four pin connector to the grill of my Fiesta then painted the connector, plate and cable gloss black to match the car and base plate. Here's how it turned out...

BTW - The "plastic" nut is nylon and it showed no deterioration on my old toad after years of being in the sun.

Used the blue ox base plate as well. They include a bracket to attach the connector for the lights. Worked perfect for attaching the ready brake cable. I mounted it exactly where Chargerman did on his GMC. Thanks for the help guys!
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Where is your emergency break away cable?
Hi Gary, I am not sure I had gotten to that at the time I was test fitting in the pic. Where it ended up is to the right of the base plate connection on the driver side - about where the safety cable hooks. The directions were to route the cable from the coach along the tow bar with zip ties and connect by the base plate connection.
The Demco base plate has "caps" that fit over the base plate connections - this cap hides the break away thimble.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #126

Tags
brake