Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Any older jeep wranglers NOT towable 4-down?

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure where to actually find out this generic of an answer online --

Are there any older Jeep Wranglers NOT towable 4-down? I'm looking potentially at both automatic and manual, from years around 2000 - 2004. (Automatic is my preference).

Are any years better over others as far as overall ease of setting up to tow, as well?

Thanks for any help!

go6car

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
towing

Hi there..Not positive about your question, but most any Jeep Wrangler is towable as long as it has a transfer case with nuetral in it.
Towing set up would be the same.

99 Tradewinds 7371 -98 Jeep TJ modified
tufftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

All 4x4 wranglers are towable. Two wheel drive ones are not but they are rare.

Older is kinda a funny word mine is a 1991 I kinda think 2000's are new ones.

I believe that there was one model of the CJ line that was not towable. Those would have been pree 89 so doubt you mean that old.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #4

Wrangler 4X4's should be towable for down, instructions in owners manual. Issue would be that some years had a locking steering column, and that would require leaving a key in the ignition" on " and disconnecting the battery.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know that the 2000 Wrangler TJ 4 wheel drive, both standard transmission and automatic, can be towed four down. I have towed both many miles with no problems. If you have the owners manual it will tell you the proper procedure for setting them up to tow.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Thanks, everyone! I don't have one just yet, but wanted to ask before I got serious in potentially looking for one! Much appreciated!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Wrangler 4X4's should be towable for down, instructions in owners manual. Issue would be that some years had a locking steering column, and that would require leaving a key in the ignition" on " and disconnecting the battery.
It's a about a 10 minute job to disable the steering column lock, on the TJs, if you desire. That way you don't have to worry about the battery stuff. Actually you can unlock the column without turning the power on too, but I don't like leaving a key in the ignition.
Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old Jeep CJs (71 and older) had a Dana 18 transfer case that the gears are always turning, probably not a good choice for 4 down.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
2000-2004 are all flat towable aand you do not have to disconnect the battery. The key has a position that is unlocked but no power in on anywhere.

If the one you buy has the chip key like I do in my '01 you might have a key made out of a blank without the chip. This will prevent the Jeep from walking away if you stop for lunch somewhere.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale C View Post
It's a about a 10 minute job to disable the steering column lock, on the TJs, if you desire. That way you don't have to worry about the battery stuff. Actually you can unlock the column without turning the power on too, but I don't like leaving a key in the ignition.
We've towed our 04 Wrangler with the automatic transmission over 65,000 miles without a problem. I believe ther are 2 types of keys for the TJ series. The standard one is a normal key that will start the engine anytime it's left in the ignition. The second type (if you have the security package) has a chip in it. If you have the second type you can have a standard non chipped key made. The non chipped key will turn in the lock cylinder just like the chipped one, but will not start the engine.

The TJ also has an accessory position on the lock cylinder. 1 position forward of the lock and key removal position. In this position the steering column is unlocked but there is no power to the ignition system so the battery doesn't drain. As I said earlier we have towed the Jeep over 65,000 miles with the key in this position and never had a battery issue.

If you have the standard key and are worried about someone starting the Jeep you can remove the glove box and remove the ignition fuse. It takes all of 30 seconds to do and may give you more peace of mind.

Whenever we take the Jeep we have the hard top on to minimize the possibility of theft.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale C View Post
It not even 10 mins more like 10 seconds.
Insert the key and turn it forward ONE notch.
This is a key position where the column is UNLOCKED and the ignition is OFF.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote