Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Any one tow a prius on a dolly ?

New member with a 2008 Winnebago vista 30b. I am looking to tow my Toyota Prius on a tow dolly. Just wondering if any one has done this and what they used. Thanks Ken.

Khk4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
The Prius is no different than any other front wheel drive vehicle when it comes to being towed on a dolly. If your looking for a heavy duty long distance dolly check www.mastertow.com Just remember to get one with surge brakes to keep things simple and safe.

lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi, welcome to the irv2 forum. We tow a Toyota Camry behind our 31' Class C and have not had any problems other than accidentally leaving the parking break on the car. It wasn't pretty We have a mastertow that we bought at the factory to save some money. We were lucky we lived close to Fayetteville, NC. With that being said, if we could afford a new vehicle, we would get something we could tow 4 wheels down. It can be difficult sometimes to load car in wet weather and at alot of sites we can't get the tow completely straight and the ramps are turned making it tricky to drive onto the dolly. We can not manually straighten them. So far tho, we have managed.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome. We tow our Prius on a Demco towdolly. We have done the trip to FL several times to visit our son. No problems.
Dean & Mary (Retired U.S.A.F.) plus Purr
2012 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2015 Malibu LTZ w/Blue Ox setup & Brake Buddy
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #5

We tow a 2011 Prius behind our Chinook. We use a Demco with the steerable wheels. Very nice dolly, but almost a bit narrow on the one we have. Every one that does not use a dolly warn about rain and loading. If your ready to go and it's raining, you still have to get the awning down, unhook water, sewer,cable, and anythin else, so it's just one more thing. Because of the low air dam in the front, you will need some additional ramp length to get you up without dragging, this is not a fault of the dolly, but the low front of the Prius. I have two 2x8's one about 24" and one about 12" screwed together slipped under the dolly ramps when loading. You can buy those yellow ramps that step up but are about $25 each at CW:
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to 45acp
We have towed a 2010 Prius on a RoadMaster 2000-1 for 8000 miles with no problems. The only issue I have is with the Prius since everything up front and under the front is covered with plastic for aerodynamics. You have to crawl under to hook safety chains to something solid. I asked the dealer about this and they had me take the steel "eye bolt" that is with the spare tire and install it on the front bumper. There are two square plastic buttons on the front. If you pry one of them out there is a place to screw the "eye bolt" in. This is how the Prius was tied down to the ship when transporting from Japan. I don't know if one chain is legal every where but I have never been questioned.
2002 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor 40' with ISL400 and Tag axel - Road Master 2000-1 Tow Dolly
Bill & Susie
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Towing Prius

Should have mentioned I use the towing "eye" also, but I use a piece of plastic coated steel cable with heavy snap hooks as extra security. You can easily get a second "eye" bolt from Toyota if you want to use on both sides. Did'nt want a chance of the chains rubbing against the bumper. There just isn't enough clearance under the Prius to attach another set of chains. There may be others, but Demco was the only dolly I found that has chains as well as the wheel straps to secure the vehicle.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
We have 2 Priuses 2006 and 2011...we use Demco Kar Kaddy SS with surge brake and steerable wheels..I purchased a mechanics creeper for $ 40 at an auto store to keep dry and clean when attaching the safety chains to either Prius...Dolly and Prius's tow perfectly. Have towed Prius over 20,000 miles with no problems..Kar Kaddy SS IS great in tight spaces..I have the one with foldable hitch...bought new 4 years ago...towed behind 2009 Itasca Horizon Diesel pusher 425hp...get 7 mpg with RV and 45 mpg with Prius...one minor problem is Prius steering does not lock causing chaffing of wheel towing straps. replaced straps from Demco and bought steering wheel tie down from them...problem solved now

marksclu is offline   Reply With Quote