Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Any stories on towed brakes saved me?

Anyone have a story on how their towed vehicle braking system saved their motorhome?
I'm looking at various vendors of tow harness and aux braking systems, would be good to hear from someone who has directly benefited from that significant investment.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

I spent quite awhile researching options myself. Finally went with the M&G system based on the user reviews.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There can be no question that the minimum stopping distance is shorter with toad brakes vs without. 3000-5000 lbs of unbraked weight @ xx mph creates a lot of inertia that the coach brakes have to disperse somehow, and that translates to more feet of distance to reach a stop. Whether that shorter stopping distance ever "saved" anyone depends on how much distance they keep between them and other vehicles, how cautiously they drive, whether they ever encounter an emergency stop situation, and a host of other factors.

You can always stop without toad brakes - the only question is "how quickly"?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

There are stories regularly here at IRV about broken towbars. Having your Toad braking system perform emergency stoppage in case of breakaway is a matter of life and death.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I like the legal affect of having a toad braking system. If your toad gets away and you don't have a braking system in it, you are open to all sorts of liability. Kiss retirement goodbye. Your insurance will likely weasel out of the case, as you were towing illegally and without 'due regard' and 'common practice'.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I would not tow a vehicle without it. Cannot say for sure that the tow brakes prevented an accident but I was extremely close to having one when coming up on stopped traffic on a highway. Had to get on the brakes hard and barely stopped from hitting the car in front of me. 10-20 feet of lost braking distance and I most likely would have tapped the car.

I am generally cautious and stay well back of any cars. But this was cresting a hill and only one lane of many was stopped with many cars moving at normal speed in other lanes.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cost of any toad braking system always seems high until you need it. And if you need it but don't have it you get a quick lesson on how expensive it is to not have it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

Any stories on towed brakes saved me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Anyone have a story on how their towed vehicle braking system saved their motorhome?

I'm looking at various vendors of tow harness and aux braking systems, would be good to hear from someone who has directly benefited from that significant investment.

Yes!
My Motorhome had no damage, I stopped 30 feet sooner, and I did not go to jail.
The little girl on the bicycle did not die! Nope, totally untouched!
I have always loved gizmos that can help me beat the penalties that the principles of physics can create.
I've had the same hitch and braking system for over 17 years, on 3 Motorhomes. It doesn't owe me ANYTHING!
All of the systems work.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
This is a hard or maybe a impossible question to answer. I know I have had a panic stop a time or two and I was very glad I had my M&G Engineering toad brake system but to actually and factually say it saved us ... how can you tell?

Another time we were driving in the rain around a sharp curve on a two lane road when we suddenly came upon a large buck standing right on the road! Hitting the brakes hard I worried the toad would push the rear of the coach toward the outside of the curve. But I thank my lucky stars the toad had the braking system and we stopped without a skidding or sliding problems.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #10

I had an airline come loose on my AF1 and I blew through a red light that I would have been able to stop for if the toad brakes had been working.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had three panic stops where the ABS system activated. Every time it was a car cutting in front of me to take an exit.

Did the toad brakes prevent me hitting them? I don't know but they sure didn't hurt.

In my life I have seen about 7 trailers with boats or cars on them that have broken away from their tow vehicle and wound up along the side of the road or in the divider. So auxiliary brakes are a must in my opinion.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Your insurance will likely weasel out of the case, as you were towing illegally and without 'due regard' and 'common practice'.
Not gonna happen. Read your policy - there is nothing in the fine print that says you have to be 100% legal. Are you not covered when speeding? Or if you fail to Yield? About the only exception to coverage will be the commission of a felony crime using the vehicle, e.g. the getaway car in a robbery. The insurer may decline to renew, or even cancel, if they think you are dangerous, but the coverage that was in effect at the time still applies.

I'm talking US written policies - Canadian insurance practices may be more strict.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
After a LONG day of driving coming home on I-20 thru Dallas there is a steep hill right after a semi blind curve where the speed limit is 70...

Topped the hill and started around the curve and 4 lanes of traffic was STOPPED!

the cars in front of me slam on their brakes, I slam on mine and I could SMELL the brakes...
SO glad I drive with the engine brake on auto AND the toad brake installed - it could have been ugly !
Old 08-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig has an empty weight of 46,700#'s, a GVWR of 54,000#'s and a GCVWR of 69,000#'s. Even towing the CR-V I suspect (but can't prove it) that I'm below or right at the GVWR of 54,000#'s. I know I can meet the WA braking requirements for stopping without a towed braking system, but I have one anyway. Just better to have it. Laws of physics aren't suspended just because you don't think you need more braking.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, tow