Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Kro1957's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mitchell South Dakota
Posts: 1,140
Blog Entries: 2
Any Year Jeep Wrangler? Automatic 4-flat ok?

Looking at finding a Jeep Wrangler to tow behind the coach. 4FD. Automatic.

Let me see if I got this right.

Put Shifter in N. Then transfer case in N. Then shift to R and see if it moves. It should not. Then the same for D. If all is ok put in Park and proceed to hook up to coach.

Leave the ignition to Acc allowing steering to move freely. Newer models I hear do not require this. Not sure what year forward.

I am guessing this is the same for both 4cy and 6cy? Any year Wrangler?

Thanks
James
__________________

__________________
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MCJones's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Western NC -Cherokee area
Posts: 371
If you can get a 2012 or newer, it won't be a steering wheel lock problem. It also has the newer v6 which is a very good engine. I'm not sure when the steering wheels began the "non locking" feature, but I know it is true from 2012 and up. good luck mark
__________________

__________________
Mark
08 Dutch Star 4354, 2017 Wrangler JKU w/rv brake2, blue ox tow bars, Rockhard front bumper with tow fittings.
MCJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,831
u got it !
EZ, PZ , isn't it...

then you got a toad that can take you anywhere you want to go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	119927   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-19 093.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	667.5 KB
ID:	119928  

__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Looking at finding a Jeep Wrangler to tow behind the coach. 4FD. Automatic.

Let me see if I got this right.

Put Shifter in N. Then transfer case in N. Then shift to R and see if it moves. It should not. Then the same for D. If all is ok put in Park and proceed to hook up to coach.

Leave the ignition to Acc allowing steering to move freely. Newer models I hear do not require this. Not sure what year forward.

I am guessing this is the same for both 4cy and 6cy? Any year Wrangler?

Thanks
James
James,
You're pretty much correct in the fact that just about any year/model Wrangler is FLAT TOWABLE. And, your procedure for prepping for tow is pretty much right on the money too. We've towed, CJs, YJs, and three different TJs. We've not had the pleasure of owning or towing a JK model Wrangler.

With the TJ models, you turn the key one click from the "Off" position to unlock the steering only. With that one click, you're not energizing any portion of the toad so, no battery charge line is needed or, no fuses need to be pulled either. And, yes, put the T/C in neutral and, the transmission in Park and, you're good to go.

As for the lights, well, this is always a debate. I've used the stock tail lights and bulbs for toad lights in all of our 8 Jeeps so far and, in almost 30 years of towing them, NOT ONE problem in doing it that way. The only thing you have to consider is, if you're using an auxiliary braking system in the Jeep, any action on the brake pedal will energize the Jeeps brake lights. And that's even with the key in the "Off" position. So, just be aware of that.

Towing Jeeps is one of the easiest setups out there in toad-land. If you need any help on setting it up, PM me and I'd be glad to help.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Leave the ignition to Acc allowing steering to move freely. Newer models I hear do not require this. Not sure what year forward.

I am guessing this is the same for both 4cy and 6cy? Any year Wrangler?

Thanks
James
The change to a non-locking steering was around 2008. As previously said, the new V6 engine and 5 speed transmission starting in 2012 is a great improvement. Check with a local company that deals in lease returns. I bought an almost three year old Wrangler with only 35,000 miles on it for less than a lot of eight year old models with over 100,000 miles. Generally, lease returns have to be kept in good condition and the mileage low.

I installed the Mopar harness which connects the Jeep's lights to the motorhome using relays. That way there is no chance of back feed into the wiring harness.
__________________
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists" Jade & Jewel
2017 Phaeton 40IH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS (05/17)
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Kro1957's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mitchell South Dakota
Posts: 1,140
Blog Entries: 2
put a deposit on a 2001 Wrangler with 71k miles on it 4.0L

It has to be inspected and driven yet but I just put a deposit on a 2001 w 71k miles on it. 4.0L

I would like to buy newer but this one seems to be in great shape and it is what I can afford for right now.

I never owned a Jeep b4. I have driven a truck for 39 years. I am going to feel lost without my truck!!!!
__________________
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
HHIDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,254
For tail lights you could buy these diodes as a kit or find them to buy separately, if you put them in you can easily take them out when you trade your jeep.
http://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Ox-BX8848-.../dp/B003VARHBQ
__________________
DanielB
'06 Mountain Aire 4309, ISL 400-CM850, Spartan MMGT
'16 Jeep Wrangler
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,790
I have towed multiple jeeps, both YJ, TJ, and TJ Rubicon models.

Pretty much correct setup procedure. Except no need to do both reverse and drive to ensure it does not move. The goal here is to ensure the transfer case is truly in neutral, so either will do. Myself and most others probably use drive. Plus the already made comments regarding years without locking columns.

Btw, if you do have locking column but don't want to leave the key in the jeep - if equipped with Sentry Key security (evidenced by a grey instead of black key) you can have a dummy key made up without the chip to enable engine start.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
falconman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 769
On our 2006 TJ the owners manual states when doing the check to see if the transfer case is in neutral by using D or R, DO NOT shift the transmission back into park with the transfer case in neutral and the engine running! Transmission damage may occur.
__________________
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Kro1957's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mitchell South Dakota
Posts: 1,140
Blog Entries: 2
Dan, explain your comment please.

I actually seen this a while back on a youtube vidio and the guy shifted it back in park, made sure the brake was released and then went on his way.

So your telling me this is not correct? Where should the Gear Shift be in?
With the transfer case in N. Do a check with it in gear and then do what?

I am hoping this jeep has a owners manual. Or I may have to download one.
Thanks!!
James
__________________
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
It has to be inspected and driven yet but I just put a deposit on a 2001 w 71k miles on it. 4.0L

I would like to buy newer but this one seems to be in great shape and it is what I can afford for right now.

I never owned a Jeep b4. I have driven a truck for 39 years. I am going to feel lost without my truck!!!!
You'll have so much fun driving the Wrangler that you'll forget all about the truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1634.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	120369  
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, mucho mods
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (mucho mods)
aauummm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I actually seen this a while back on a youtube vidio and the guy shifted it back in park, made sure the brake was released and then went on his way.

So your telling me this is not correct? Where should the Gear Shift be in?
With the transfer case in N. Do a check with it in gear and then do what?

I am hoping this jeep has a owners manual. Or I may have to download one.
Thanks!!
James
Hey James,
As you've read and, I've told you, all you're doing when you try either forward or reverse of the transmission is, to TEST to see if you've accomplished putting the transfer case into NEUTRAL or not. Obviously, if you try either DRIVE or, REVERSE and, the vehicle does not attempt to move, then you were successful in putting the transfer case into neutral.

Now, here's what happens when you "check" for neutral(in the T/C) by putting the transmission into either drive or reverse. In either gear, the transmission WILL SPIN it's output shaft that goes into the transfer case. That means, all the gears and shafts inside the transmission are momentarily spinning during the check.

Now, there are NO BRAKES inside that transmission to slow things down and stop them from spinning immediately. They will COAST for even a slight few seconds. And, when that happens, it's kind of like putting your transmission in park when you're still moving.

So, all you need to do is:

1. Put the T/C in NEUTRAL.
2. Check to make sure it's in NEUTRAL by, putting the transmission in DRIVE or, Reverse, (as stated earlier, either will work).
3. Upon finding out that you've successfully put your T/C in NEUTRAL, then a very safe way to proceed to the next step would be to, place the transmission in NEUTRAL and, shut off the engine.
4. THEN, place the transmission in PARK, with the engine shut down.

In doing it that way, there are NO SPINNING (coasting) gears or shafts that will grind when putting the transmission into PARK. That method has worked flawlessly for us for over 30 years of towing Jeeps.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey James,

As you've read and, I've told you, all you're doing when you try either forward or reverse of the transmission is, to TEST to see if you've accomplished putting the transfer case into NEUTRAL or not. Obviously, if you try either DRIVE or, REVERSE and, the vehicle does not attempt to move, then you were successful in putting the transfer case into neutral.



Now, here's what happens when you "check" for neutral(in the T/C) by putting the transmission into either drive or reverse. In either gear, the transmission WILL SPIN it's output shaft that goes into the transfer case. That means, all the gears and shafts inside the transmission are momentarily spinning during the check.



Now, there are NO BRAKES inside that transmission to slow things down and stop them from spinning immediately. They will COAST for even a slight few seconds. And, when that happens, it's kind of like putting your transmission in park when you're still moving.



So, all you need to do is:



1. Put the T/C in NEUTRAL.

2. Check to make sure it's in NEUTRAL by, putting the transmission in DRIVE or, Reverse, (as stated earlier, either will work).

3. Upon finding out that you've successfully put your T/C in NEUTRAL, then a very safe way to proceed to the next step would be to, place the transmission in NEUTRAL and, shut off the engine.

4. THEN, place the transmission in PARK, with the engine shut down.



In doing it that way, there are NO SPINNING (coasting) gears or shafts that will grind when putting the transmission into PARK. That method has worked flawlessly for us for over 30 years of towing Jeeps.

Scott

Steps 3 and 4 here are what I do. Else you run the chance of hearing a very nasty noise when moving to park.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Kro1957's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mitchell South Dakota
Posts: 1,140
Blog Entries: 2
Got it!!! Printed it off also!!

Thank you!!

I have that process printed off and will go over it with my wife and son. You know, just in case something ever happens to me. I want them to know the process. And of course to remind myself, because I will forget it 5 minutes from now.
__________________

__________________
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dolly Tow 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 automatic GloryBound64 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 7 06-21-2014 04:28 PM
2007-2009 Jeep Wrangler Flat Towing CoolTech Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 47 05-05-2013 09:36 PM
Towing a 2002 Jeep Wrangler automatic gonational National RV Owner's Forum 13 04-11-2013 06:58 AM
Advice for Flat towing 2013 Jeep Wrangler fletcher70 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 20 12-04-2012 08:15 PM
Jeep TJ Wrangler front diff gearlube burn Any Jeep towers present? CARVAL Motorsports Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 09-18-2011 10:22 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.