Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Anybody Towing a Late Model VW TDI 6-speed Manual Transmission?

Blue-Ox makes a BX3831 baseplate for the 2011-2014 VW Jetta. Some of the Jettas have a 6-speed manual transmission. They also make a BX3833 baseplate for the 2014 VW Passat TDI, and that is in fact a 6 speed manual transmission.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
Blue-Ox makes a BX3831 baseplate for the 2011-2014 VW Jetta. Isn't that a 6-speed manual transmission?
Not sure the fact Blue-Ox makes a baseplate is a signal that it's safe to tow. VW says NO to tow-ability of 6 speed manual. Perhaps the baseplate is to be used with a Remco lube pump or some other solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #17

Smile drcom

I just acquired a 2012 golf tdi 6 speed manual. Anybody out there towing 4 down?
Old 12-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcom View Post
I just acquired a 2012 golf tdi 6 speed manual. Anybody out there towing 4 down?
This question has been asked numerous times on here, search the forum using the search box at the top of the page for a variety of answers, many by folks with no money at risk. VW does not recommend towing a 6 speed manual. Tow it at your own risk. No reason has been given why they changed this policy, my 2000 5 speed manual is approved for towing.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by randycbarkr View Post
Harry,
I am in the same situation with a 2012VW Golf 6 speed manual TDI. Just wondering what was your final conclusion, are you pulling it.
Thanks,
Randy B.
Harry,
Did you find that you could successfully pull your six speed?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #20

2012 vw towing

Randy,

I have the same make/model vw. Have you received any more information on towing the 6 speed manual tranny four down?

Drcom
Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2014 manual tdi sportwagen. We use a trailer, but the wife has been wanting to ditch it and just drag the car....
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 AM   #22

2009 TDI toad

I've been towing my manual 6spd Jetta TDI 4 down for 15k miles and no issues. We're getting out of RV'ng for the ocean so mines for sale in Charlotte. $9k

123,000 miles. Black on black leather interior that's in great shape, a few dings in the front paint but nothing really noticeable. Sunroof. Cold WX Pkg. New turbo installed with new EGR just 1000 miles ago. Car runs strong and great gas mileage. Blue ox base plate, wired for lights but Texas didn't require brake set-up so no additional braking mechanisms, my 2011 Monaco pulled it and stopped it no issues, hardly knew it was there unless looking in rear view camera.

PM me if interested

J
Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeter View Post
I've been towing my manual 6spd Jetta TDI 4 down for 15k miles and no issues.
Hate to revive this thread, but there isn't much real world experience out there on this topic. I've searched through here, TDIforums, and VWvortex. But Jeeter is the first person I've come across that can speak to it.

I'm getting ready to convert my 6 speed manual 2010 Jetta TDi Sportwagen into a Toad. At 112k miles I just put in a new throwout bearing, south bend clutch, and an SMF since the dual flywheel was junk. Here's the questions I have:

1. What year was your 6 speed manual TDi you towed?
2. Any trans mods required other than throwing it in neutral and towing?
3. Did you need to do anything for the steering column lock? Leave key in? Reprogram computer with VagCom to keep it from locking the column after power-off?
3. Did the car accumulate miles on the odometer while being towed?

Hope you can respond and thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggedOff View Post
Hate to revive this thread, but there isn't much real world experience out there on this topic. I've searched through here, TDIforums, and VWvortex. But Jeeter is the first person I've come across that can speak to it.

I'm getting ready to convert my 6 speed manual 2010 Jetta TDi Sportwagen into a Toad. At 112k miles I just put in a new throwout bearing, south bend clutch, and an SMF since the dual flywheel was junk. Here's the questions I have:

3. Did you need to do anything for the steering column lock? Leave key in? Reprogram computer with VagCom to keep it from locking the column after power-off?

Maybe reviving the thread will bring up new stories. On my '00 Beetle 5 speed, Place in neutral, turn the key on to release the steering lock, then back off and leave the key in the ignition. You do have to turn on the stereo or it will stay on for an hour, but other than that there's no current draw and the odometer doesn't count the miles towed.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Maybe reviving the thread will bring up new stories.
Thanks BFlinn181!! That's totally my intention. Some forums I am on people get their panties in a total wad when you wake up an old question! But this is definitely one unanswered on many forums. Living in Florida off I75, this time of year I am willing to chase town a rig towing an MK6 TDi just to hear about the experience!

The 02Q tranny behind the 2.0 TDi's is quite a creature. I just purchased a new clutch and flywheel kit as mine has 120k miles and while a well built tranny, is definitely different from prior gens of the VW's.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #26

Quote:

I made no mods to mine.

I made no modifications, left the key in the ignition to keep the lock from engaging. If you turn the key to on then off it works fine, if you forget and leave the key on, the odometer will countdown and some unusual dash lights will illuminate when you reach your destination but they clear once the vehicle is driven under its own power.

The only minor issue I've had is that sometimes the wheels will not re-center after going around a tight turn which causes the toad to wobble quite a bit. I have not been able to nail down the exact cause as it is infrequent. I either back up just a short bit once I have some room or pull over and re-center the steering manually...

See above answer.

Hope this helps, and happy towing
Old 01-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #27

Exactly the info I was looking for Jeeter! Thanks much. I've heard that you can use the VagCom software to turn off the steering wheel column lock. But cycling the key on then back to off without removing the key should accomplish the same. Given the 02Q tranny was unchanged '09-'15, this info should be universal for all 6-speeds behind a TDi.
LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #28

Quote:
.... I've heard that you can use the VagCom software to turn off the steering wheel column lock.
Have you seen this documented anywhere? I would be interested in learning how to disable the column lock in my KESSY equipped 2012 Golf TDI. I currently dolly tow but would really like to flat tow and leave the dolly out of the equation.

Tags
manual, towing, transmission