Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine's a DSG, absolutely awesome car to drive (just ask my 17yo son).
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151121_091338.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	115879

montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
Have you seen this documented anywhere? I would be interested in learning how to disable the column lock in my KESSY equipped 2012 Golf TDI.
I have not seen it documented, nor do I have the VagCom software. I was told that from some fairly reputable sources on the TDI Forums. However, a good friend of mine has the VagCom kit for his Audis. He lives about an hour away. And at some point in the next month we're going to plug in this 2010 Jetta I have to see if we can track down that option in the software. My local VW mechanic also has the kit and likes to tinker, so I may throw the challenge to him as well. I'll update this thread when we finally get to do that.

LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Mine's a DSG, absolutely awesome car to drive (just ask my 17yo son)
Nice Discovery I'm actually looking for a 2011+ model in the 40G floorplan
Old 01-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #32

After some years of anecdotal reports of flat towing a TDI, I finally met someone doing so. They had a 2012 SportWagen TDI (manual, of course) and had been doing so for 2 years. I talked with him briefly; he had previously towed a Golf TDI around Alaska for 4 years with no problems, and had moved to the wagon to get more room.

I have a Passat TDI and my wife has a SportWagen TDI. Unfortunately neither is a manual, and right now you just can't buy one anywhere. I'd love to sell my Passat SEL.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #33

Figured I'd update this thread now that I have about 1000 miles behind me flat-towing my Jetta Sportwagen TDi with the 6-speed manual. About 2 months ago I had to have the flywheel and clutch replaced and asked my VW mechanic if he thought there would be any issues. He couldn't see why not, and recommended replacing the manual trans fluid since mine has over 100k miles. (which is expensive oil by the way).

I installed the Roadmaster base plate on the Jetta myself and it was "mostly" simple. The front-end of the car comes off easy. Only hard part is drilling the 2 holes in the VW bumper plate. They use double-plated steel and it chewed up a few of my cobalt bits. But we got it done. I use the Blackhawk 2 10k lb bar, and I can have it off and on the car in under 3 mins. Leave in neutral, turn key to on, then one notch back, and leave it in so the steering doesn't lock. We use the valet key and lock the door manually...works great.

As for the light system...VW is a unique creature. I have 3 bulbs (stop, tail, and turn). I said forget it and bought the RVHW32 Wireless RV Tow Light Package. $325 on eBay...best money spent. I plug it into a little $40 jump start box I got at Advance Auto and it runs the bar for days on end before needing a recharge.

So how does it tow? Well, the VW has some stiff suspension, tight steering, and it's fat tires definitely make it a little cranky. In tight spaces it will fight the tow bar a little, but it tracks inside of our 45' coach very easily. If I can make the turn in the coach, the Jetta easily follows along.

And I have experienced the re-centering problem that Jeeter mentioned. First was a tight turn onto a 4-lane out of a fuel station. My lesson learned, the Jetta was not all the way out onto the highway and I got on the power pretty hard. That set off the steering wobble and we had to get to the shoulder. But the second time was more serious... Caught a right-side dip in the road along the Natchez Trace Parkway at about 45 mph. I guess when I corrected the coach from dipping off the shoulder, the Jetta caught the same dip and it set the steering into quite a violent wobble (back and forth) and shook the hell out of the coach as well. But once stopped and re-started it cleared up. It has me a little gun-shy now, but I guess the rule is small corrections. I'm going to look into adapting a steering stabilizer to the Jetta. And in doing some research, apparently the new Jeep Cherokee has quite an issue that it will do the wobble-thing quite a lot and unpredictable.

But for now, at 3400 lbs for a toad that gets 44 mpg and runs on the same fuel as the coach...I'm determined to make this work all the way!

Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
You might try a bungee cord from the bottom of the seat, through the steering wheel, then back to the seat. If you ride in the car as you make turns in a parking lot, I think you'll find the wheel never makes a complete rotation on turns when following the RV. The bungee cord would help keep the wheels tracking.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You might try a bungee cord from the bottom of the seat, through the steering wheel, then back to the seat. If you ride in the car as you make turns in a parking lot, I think you'll find the wheel never makes a complete rotation on turns when following the RV. The bungee cord would help keep the wheels tracking.
That thought has definitely crossed my mind, but didn't know if it was really acceptable. You have me thinking. I may hitch up and turn the wife loose in an empty lot with some tight turns while I ride in the toad just to see what goes on back there.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggedOff View Post
That thought has definitely crossed my mind, but didn't know if it was really acceptable. You have me thinking. I may hitch up and turn the wife loose in an empty lot with some tight turns while I ride in the toad just to see what goes on back there.
Are you going to sell the TDI back to VW?

Bob & Donna
Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Are you going to sell the TDI back to VW?
Program won't be announced till mid-June. So it depends on what the offer is. End of the day I have a 2010 Sportwagen with 115k miles that's in good condition. If the number is high, I'll consider it. But it rarely works that way. If they play the "Kelly Blue Book" game, values have already dropped, so I wouldn't get much. Drop my shorts to unload a flawless car that gets close to 45 mpg...all because the government's emissions laws got screwed?? Forget it... I'll keep driving the thing until it dies and delete the DPF and EGR's as they start to go bad. Even better, I'll drag the 3500 lb of station wagon behind my motorhome and enjoy owning a nice car.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
The details I heard were that they'd pay you retail price before the cheating was exposed. The 'repairs' to the vehicle will reduce performance, I think they said $5000 or so compensation if you keep the car, but you're right, wait until it's official.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The details I heard were that they'd pay you retail price before the cheating was exposed. The 'repairs' to the vehicle will reduce performance, I think they said $5000 or so compensation if you keep the car, but you're right, wait until it's official.
If they will pay the $5000 and not make me fix mine I'll keep it. If they demand to fix it then I may sell it back to them.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 AM   #40

I like the idea of hooking up a remote sensing thermometer with a readout on the dash of my Motorhome to read the real time Temp of the Transmission.
I think I'll get a base plate installed and try it out !!
andyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #41

Well I returned the Jetta yesterday as part of the TDI settlement buy-back program. At 123k miles, VW gave me $14k for the car. They want them back that bad! As a lightweight reliable car that gets 45mpg...I'll miss it. As a toad...I'm glad to see it go. Drug it 12k miles over the past 9 months. The centering issue popped up from time to time. But the final straw happened last month. Came off a bridge in NC heading north on 95 at about 70 mph. Out of nowhere the steering issue set off and it didn't correct until I got stopped on the shoulder. First time it had ever done it at highway speeds. That 10k lb Roadmaster bar kept things together and it wouldn't have surprised me to see it depart as violent as it got. There were 2 semis behind me and luckily they saw it happen and backed off me pretty much sealing up both lanes until I could get to the shoulder.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #42

Wonder if the front end wobble issue is the reason they aren't recommended and nothing to do with the manual transmission?

Tags
manual, towing, transmission