Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I guess this is a thread highjack but I need to rant.

What you state is the correct and polite way to pass another vehicle and I always leave room for my car trailer to have plenty of clearance to the vehicle I passed . What do you do if the car behind you is so impatient that they cut to the right and pass on the inside just as you begin to merge back into the right hand lane with your right turn signals blinking?

Let him go. It's safer to have that kind of driver ahead of you, rather than behind you.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #16
Ideally, I assume one camera that tilts and pans (maybe just tilt) would be perfect. Like most, mine is fixed and currently looks at the RV's rear bumper. I think I'll try to re-aim it to see the toad and road behind -- I don't need to see the bumper when I'm backing up as the DW will be helping -- but we're in a subzero deep freeze here in MN and it will have to wait until the spring.

For those who have 2 rear cameras, how did you provide a power source for the second one? Is it as simple as tapping into the OEM camera's 12V line, or did you have to run a separate power line up to it? Wireless from the camera to the monitor sounds like the way to go to avoid running wires up to the front of the coach.

I imagine it's possible to replace the OEM unit with an aftermarket tilting unit, but are there any compatibility issues? If anyone has done this successfully, can you provide the name of the unit you're using? Weldex was mentioned earlier, and I've looked at their products, but it's hard to know from the website if you can just swap out your OEM unit for one of theirs. The Total Vision camera that pans/tilts and has presets looks really nice but is somewhat pricey ($2150 plus installation).

Barry & Gigi (and our 2 cats)
2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ)
2016 Ford F150 Platinum w/'14 Ultra Ltd on LoadAll ramp
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post

Let him go. It's safer to have that kind of driver ahead of you, rather than behind you.

And that is why I ALWAYS check again (and again) before making a lane change, and while making the lane change, I even look out the side window just to be certain I didn't miss something. Entering interstates are the worst, especially in large cities. As someone else said, you'll get used to it after a while.

Another thing that has sometimes been problematic for me is when a lane change is necessary in bumper to bumper traffic and some kind soul drops back to let you in allowing only a few feet of clearance and you wonder, is it just someone being cautious, or can I turn? If you don't fill the gap in a very short time someone else will. Your camera should help with that.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #18

I don't have side camera viewing, just the rear camera and it displays the entire tow car and a distance behind the tow car. For changing lanes the two side mirrors and rear camera make it easy to be sure the next lane is open or clear. It is good the OP changed his system to meet his needs. Works for him and my way works for me. Maybe if I ever get another RV I'll do it his way.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

camera, toad