Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

Anyone do this?

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4DR that is 2wd. I've tossed the idea of trading it in for a 4x4 to make it tow able 4 down but can't justify the cost in the trade. I'm thinking of just disconnecting the drive shaft when we tow the vehicle. This will only be done about 4-5 times a year. I can only see this being more of an inconvenience than anything. Anyone else do the same?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
This would be ok to do but some work each time you want to tow, kits are made by Ramco ........drive line disconnects .. just pull a lever and go.. much easier good luck..............

Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
This would be ok to do but some work each time you want to tow, kits are made by Ramco ........drive line disconnects .. just pull a lever and go.. much easier good luck..............
I've seen an add for this. What is the process for connecting the driveshaft?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Abnmarine I have a remco also it is splined collar that goes on the drive shaft so you pull the cable and the collar slides up disconnecting the lower part of the drive shaft. When you get to camp you push the cable back down and the collar engages the splines and your ready to go.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have droped the drive shaft on my Ford 4x4 and it works fine. But it is a big pain in the butt.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #6

It'd be a real pain in the rump if you were towing this way, then needed to suddenly disconnect. Occasionally I get in a tight spot and need to unhitch in a hurry which is easy enough if the toad moves under its own power. Recently friends needed to unhitch lickety split cuz their motorhome was on fire. That'd make for an indelicate get-away, if you could get the Jeep away from the coach at all; if you were facing downhill then you couldn't move the toad in most cases. If that had been the case for the friends, their toad woulda burned to the ground also, and they'da had a difficult time getting home.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a system to tow it, you could start the Jeep, put it in neutral and run the engine while towing. Then when you replace it for another by one towable 4 down.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Maybe you could modify this drive shaft decoupler advertised in our classifieds to make it fit?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4DR that is 2wd. I've tossed the idea of trading it in for a 4x4 to make it tow able 4 down but can't justify the cost in the trade. I'm thinking of just disconnecting the drive shaft when we tow the vehicle. This will only be done about 4-5 times a year. I can only see this being more of an inconvenience than anything. Anyone else do the same?
Buy the Black and Decker power ratchet, will speed up the job. If you need more clearance just use plastic leveling blocks, much cheaper and the ratchet is usefull for other jobs.
J
Old 02-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Buy the Black and Decker power ratchet, will speed up the job. If you need more clearance just use plastic leveling blocks, much cheaper and the ratchet is usefull for other jobs.
J
A lot of good info here. I appreciate it.

I have a small air compressor already and could use my impact wrench to do this. I agree that this could be a problem in an emergency.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #11

Well I just solved my problem. I've been debating on getting something that gets better gas mileage so I traded the Jeep in on a 2008 HHR SS auto. Car has 11k miles on it and is towable 4 down. I solved both concerns.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
A lot of good info here. I appreciate it.

I have a small air compressor already and could use my impact wrench to do this. I agree that this could be a problem in an emergency.
There is a company that makes a transmission pump to keep the fluid circulating so you can tow 4 down. Don't know the name.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Attaboy, AB. I purchased a new HHR in Nov and it is the best toad I ever had. It's light, rides and drives well, good mileage and very roomy.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #14

dajudge, I'm loving the car already. Getting 10 mpg better than the Jeep with a turbo on the HHR is a good feeling.

Could you list everything that I will need to tow this car?