Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes and no... I have twice lost a towed but not lost it.

First time the pin came out of the receiver and dropped the hitch.. Safety cables held and brakes came on.

Second time the entire hitch dropped off the motor home.. NO brake activation by the brak-a-way cable since it was still hooked to the towed.

Passing motorist told me my bicycle tire was on fire (it rides the same hitch) and I pulled off and stopped.. Aux-brakes stopped the towed.. PERFECTLY... I unhoked,, Wife drove the towed.. Wound up at a welding shop where they re-built the cross bar brackets (And man did they re-build them) No problems since.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #16
I did lose my 2006 Saturn Vue a few years,ago. Fortunately I was only going about 15 mph after leaving a gas station. The Blue Ox baseplate broke on both sides near a weld and tore off the front facia. The Vue made a right turn and missed the rear of the motorhome, rolled through a ditch and then traveled about 30 yards before it stopped. Since the baseplate came off and since the breakaway switch was attached to the baseplate ... It never actuated. This was an early design baseplate for Blue Ox and did not include cables to tie the baseplate to the frame of the car just in case an incident like this would occur. The replacement baseplate had been re-engineered with a welded gusset in the area where the original baseplate broke and it also included cables to tie the baseplate to the frame. Blue Ox covered all my costs of repair and was very helpful in getting me a replacement baseplate in record time. I towed that Vue with the replacement baseplate for over 50,000 miles with no other problems. Bottom line .... If you tow a Saturn Vue of that vintage ... Make sure you have the latest design baseplate and cables tied to the frame!

Mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
Triple E Owners Club
A few years back one of our friends was towing a 2007 Saturn (120,000 miles on it). He was entering a small northern town in B.C. when he saw his car pass him on the right and run into a café - about 20 mph. The frame on the Saturn broke so he was still hooked up to the front of the car but the rest of the car decided to go on it's own. Luckily the café was made of brick and the car - radiator - ran into the corner. No harm to the building but the car was totaled.
So even with the proper hookup and safety chains and break away brakes shi _ still happens.
I saw the photos but have deleted them over the years.
2007 Triple E - Empress Elite - Freightliner
WH 22 owner for 7 years
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My story- and true

About 25 years ago I had a new Coachman 36' motorhome and had bought a Jeep Cherokee to tow behind it 4 down. This was before I could even conceive of a rear camera mount. I was young (fairly anyway- work with me on that) and naive (thoroughly). I set up the tow arrangement myself. The tow bar connections were to the front bumper on the Jeep. Looked like a pretty stout hunk of steel that bumper did to me anyway. Never heard of any assisted braking system back then because--- as you know-- I was immune to anything. All one needed was to hook the Jeep up, slap on some safety cables, place the transfer box in neutral and Hi-oh Silver --- Away.

Worked great for about a year.

Then we went on a long trip up to Nova Scotia--I think it was about 1990. We had the MH full of us, the grandparents and kids.Jeep bringing up the rear.

After about 2 weeks of being all cooped up in the RV folks started getting grumpy and we turned south towards the barn somewhere up around Cape Breton. As we departed the area early one morning we were about the only ones on the road. The Mrs. was riding up front shotgun(and believe me she was in a foul mood that morning for some reason??), grandparents and wahoos holding down the rear and bouncing off the walls.

Mind you when towing the Jeep as we had no camera so we never knew if it was back there-- just hoped it was. Coming down a steep grade out of Cape Breton headed south I hear a substantial "crunching" sound-- repeated 2-3 - times. I look over to the "happy" co-pilot and politely ask her to please proceed to the rear window and see if she could see what was making that noise as I clipped along about 60 mph. The response was snarly and complimented with a statement something along the lines of "shut up and drive". I repeated my request very kindly but with more emphasis to which she concurred and sashayed to the rear of the MH.

Suddenly I hear this blood curdling scream from the back of the rig and sweet Momma is hollering "don't stop-don't stop. At this exact moment I glance into the drivers side mirror and notice the Jeep-- yes the JEEP --- you know the one I never had seen behind my rig before-had decided to pull out and attempt to pass me on the drivers side!

Laudamercy needless to say I was totally puckered at that point. I had no idea what to do. After about 3 seconds with the co-pilot screaming don't stop, I decided to let the rig coast down slowly and edge off the road-- Jeep pulling off to the left side. So far the Jeep had not whizzed by me.

I got it stopped and got out running to the back with no idea what I'd find.

The bumper was torn off- (shredded) and all that bound the Jeep and MH together was a sliver of steel about 1/2 inch wide. Safety cables were torn. But had somehow managed not to completely break.No damage thankfully to the MH.Front of the Jeep was not all that pretty.

The big Guy upstairs was sure with us that day!

The co-pilot was then assigned the job of driving the Jeep back to Georgia- I thought it was an appropriate opportunity for command?? We hit 3 welding shops along the way to try to fashion some sort of hitch connection. None worked until New Jersey. Then we made it home to Georgia with it attached to the MH.

I visited the local Jeep dealer upon my return. In that educational component of the story I learned that Jeep offers and suggested a special bracket for tow bar hook ups. I was a little late on getting that info.

Now many years later I have every safety and tow protection device available for my dolly toad and rig. Cameras , straps, chains everywhere, electric brakes, breakaway switches etc etc.

Oh by the way-- Momma hops pretty fast when I ask her to check a sound nowadays as we bounce down the road in our Itasca!And we're still together in spite of Jeeps after 41 years!

americanrasc is offline   Reply With Quote