Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I have 2012 Ford Explorer. When I checked Ford says it is flat towable as long as you don't exceed 65mph and stop every 6 hours, start engine, shift gears.
That and the posts where folks were having Ford transmission issues led to to buy another vehicle with a neutral transfer case. So now I shift transfer case to neutral and leave it in park with no worries at all.
To me, that's the way to go in the long term. starting every so often, do not exceed speed limit ( not that I do) just seemed like a bandaid approach. Looks like Jeep should up their production for the 2015 models.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
you have a transfer case with 'N' ? Is that a manual transmission?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
you have a transfer case with 'N' ? Is that a manual transmission?

No, it's an automatic. Chevrolet Trailblazer 4WD. Put transfer case in neutral, leave transmission in park, good to go. Steering column does not lock, so you don't have to leave the key in.
My only issue is that it is aging and I would like something a bit newer. Chevrolet stopped making the Trailblazer in 09.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #87

Send a message via AIM to k6fn Send a message via Skype™ to k6fn
We just purchased a 2014 Chevy Captive Sport and will flat tow it in 2 days when my extra tow bar parts arrive.. Others on the forum like the Captiva. the vehicle is a very nice ride and plenty of room.
ive built a small switch/fuse arrangement to replace the pwrmod fuse so that now all I have to do to tow is to flip the switch. the new fuses are smaller than the standard mini fuse and very hard to reach. the remote switch/fuse arrangement works great.
I will report on the tow-ability when we return from camping.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2+ years and 20K miles trouble free flat tow.

'04 Honda Element AWD Auto.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #89

OK, so you can flat tow the SRX, if you leave it neutral and not in park, the battery will run down right? Also is the odometer turning while being towed?
Ron
Old 05-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
You talking about the new smaller Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee?

We drove the Cherokee & that is the car we like the best.

I have towed mine 68 times for just under 12,000 miles with no problems
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #91

20k miles across country twice in 10 months - just put in Neutral and Go : )

(I did add a battery cutoff which is easy and have never had a problem with battery power loss no matter how many miles towed since last crank)
[also an interesting note: in this 14FordFiesta FWD 4cylinder AUTO there is NO transmission dip stick, and no way to even check your trans fluid - they designed it this way]

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #92

Hi

Ihave the experience doing just that.We have a 2003 mustang automatic rear wheel drive which I flat tow saying that I installed a remco quick disconnect on the drive shaft which I do from inside the car on acable that's hooked up to the drive shaft to the mechanical part that was put on cutting drive shaft than re welding it.works great to engage or disconnect. anyways cliffs welding in mesa az.installed it for me.phone them and ask them what cars that it will work on.again it's great
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #93

I iow a rear wheel automatic mustang flat towed installed a remco quick disconnect ai mesa
Old 05-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
What speed restriction are you worried about? We are buying a new automatic Ford Focus and yes there is a speed restriction but it's 70MPH. Planning on towing and driving over 70 for long periods of time?
I also tow a 2015 Ford Focus SE. Yes it does have a 70 mph limit to be towed. This will not effect me since 65 mph is about as fast as I want to be traveling flat towing a car. Had to put a drop down to get level since the Focus is very low to the ground. Now it has a good level tow. I have put a neg. battery cut off on it to make it easier to disconnect the battery.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
I also tow a 2015 Ford Focus SE. Yes it does have a 70 mph limit to be towed. This will not effect me since 65 mph is about as fast as I want to be traveling flat towing a car. Had to put a drop down to get level since the Focus is very low to the ground. Now it has a good level tow. I have put a neg. battery cut off on it to make it easier to disconnect the battery.

Wolf creek, what tow system and brakes are you using? Just bought a 2012 focus for a toad and looking for any recommendations. Where did you get the battery cutoff switch?
Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Wolf creek, what tow system and brakes are you using? Just bought a 2012 focus for a toad and looking for any recommendations. Where did you get the battery cutoff switch?
Thanks
I had a Blue Ox Alpha put on my car. As far as the disconnect is concerned
it is a simple device that a knob screws out to disconnect the neg. cable.
It cost about $20 at Advance auto parts. I actually had mine put on for me and I could not tell you the part number or name. Sorry I can't tell you any more than this. I forgot to mention that I am not using any brake system at this time. Seems to do fine with my 33.2 palazzo.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #97

American Coach Owners Club
I see a couple of people mentioned a battery cutoff. Be careful on what vehicle you do this. For example, on many fords if you disconnect the battery not only do you loose radios presets and the clock, but the computer will have to go through a "relearn" procedure, as described on the owners manual. This will probably mean a rough running engine for 20-30 miles.

Tags
tow, towing