Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone flat towing a "Automatic Car"

we have 2 SUV's AWD & neither are towable. Now we are purchasing a motorhome & will need a new car.
Yes we are thinking about a Grand Cherokee but also want to consider a car that can be flat towed WITH NO RESTRICTIONS (IE- all the fords have speed restriction). One of the few I see is the 2014 Chevy Malibu without E-assist.

Any other cars that I can look at?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #2

As a general rule most rear wheel-drive cars, auto or std tranny, can not be pulled 4-down, without mods. Many front wheel drive and AWDs can, some with restrictions. Most 4-wheel drives can, unless they dont have a true nuetral postion in their transfer case [Ford???]. FMCA publishes an annual list in their Dec/Jan issue, of what cars can be towed 4-down and with what restrictions.....be aware, some Jeep products are having 4-wheel drive Vs towing issues.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

I pull a ford don't forget about drive shift disconnects.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #4

What speed restriction are you worried about? We are buying a new automatic Ford Focus and yes there is a speed restriction but it's 70MPH. Planning on towing and driving over 70 for long periods of time?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #5

We pull a Cadillac SRX 2011 front wheel drive with no restrictions, no fuses to pull, no locking column, no pump. Easier than our previous Saturn Vue. The Blue Ox plate mounts with no trimming of the grill what so ever. Weighs 4224 pounds.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

I know you can pull a Chevy traverse front wheel drive. Equinox has the same drive train.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Consider a 4 door Wrangler. They are nice inside and almost made for towing four down. Stick or automatic, doesn't matter with a Wrangler.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We flat tow our Chevy Sonic (w/o the turbo engine) with AT and no restrictions. I did put a switch in series with one fuse. It's extremely easy to connect and disconnect the blue ox base plate/tow bar. And we are very pleased with the comfort, ride, size, etc. of the car (it replaced a Hyundai Tucson as my wife's daily driver)
Old 08-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #9

Honda CRV's are automatic, most w/AWD, and have been popular 4 wheel down toads for many years.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #10

Probably the most popular automatic is the Honda CRV. We see them all the time. For us we have a 2009 Saturn Vue we've been flat towing for over 4yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
we have 2 SUV's AWD & neither are towable. Now we are purchasing a motorhome & will need a new car.
Yes we are thinking about a Grand Cherokee but also want to consider a car that can be flat towed WITH NO RESTRICTIONS (IE- all the fords have speed restriction). One of the few I see is the 2014 Chevy Malibu without E-assist.

I tow a 2014 Grand Cherokee 4x4. There are no restrictions or fuses to pull. Owners manual excerpt...

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle
• • •
Four-Wheel Drive Models

Transmission in PARK
Transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) Tow in forward direction
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post

I would stay completely away from most of the Jeep Cherokees as they are having a major (software) problem that is preventing a lot of them from being able to shift the transfer case into/out of neutral.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I would stay completely away from most of the Jeep Cherokees as they are having a major (software) problem that is preventing a lot of them from being able to shift the transfer case into/out of neutral.
I would take out the MOST in that quote. The transfer case issue reported pertains to a recall on the transfer case of 2010 and prior vehicles of the Grand Cherokee. The later vehicles are unaffected.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a 2011 Ford Edge FWD. Just hook up and go. Did put a tow charger as battery usually dead after 6 hour tow.

Tags
tow, towing