Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #1

Anyone have a Fiat 500? Tow, trailer or dolly?

We have just purchased a 2007 Four Winds Hurricane and just bought a 2013 Fiat 500 to take along. Now we just have to decide how. We are leaning towards an enclosed trailer to keep the cute little car safe and nice but there are up and down sides to this. We would love to get other Fiat owners opinions on what works for you. Thanks so much!
Pfalmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

Congrats on your new motorhome and car. You are proof positive that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Fiat 500 is down right ugly. Yes, please put it in an enclosed trailer. Just kidding, there is a member here - Pirate Silly-who has a 500. She's written a bit about it.
Good Luck with your new toys
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

Congrats on the car. Nice. Re towing. I am not a fan of enclosed trailer as it can become a pain to store the trailer at destination. We have known a number of people over the years who ended up selling their enclosed trailer after a season or two as it got to be a pain at the destination. Depending on your lifestyle this may or may not be an issue.

I am also not a fan of four down as i like to be able to back out of bad decisions, back into camping spots with trailer and toad on, back into truck spots, etc etc etc. Can't do that with a towbar setup.

I am a fan of a small trailer. The small trailer usually will fit on the site at your destination. If you get a single axle model it will fit at least half way under the rear of your coach at destination and won't stick out that much further than a tow dolly. I like the fact there is no wear and tear on the vehicle while it is going down the road. You may consider a variation of this idea we use for our smart car. This is only a 2500 pound axle. You will need to be a 3500 pound version.

Good luck and happy camping.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fiat 500

P--2

VERY good purchase, FIAT 500. We have had ours for 2 years-26K miles.
We use the dolly with the automatic. Takes very little work to hitch up .

I have a lock on the dolly to stop it from turning while backing up. I have yet having to use the lock. Lucky not having to back up.

Enjoy that fine automobile. The longer you drive the car, the more you will enjoy it.

There were several posts back awhile about the FIAT 500 vs Smart.

DeBUSK
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBUSK View Post
P--2

VERY good purchase, FIAT 500. We have had ours for 2 years-26K miles.
We use the dolly with the automatic. Takes very little work to hitch up .

I have a lock on the dolly to stop it from turning while backing up. I have yet having to use the lock. Lucky not having to back up.

Enjoy that fine automobile. The longer you drive the car, the more you will enjoy it.

There were several posts back awhile about the FIAT 500 vs Smart.

DeBUSK
That lock on the dolly sounds like a great idea. What is the make of the Dolly. Would like to see a picture of your combo. Sounds nice.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
That lock on the dolly sounds like a great idea. What is the make of the Dolly. Would like to see a picture of your combo. Sounds nice.
The tow dolly is too old to have a brand anymore. It must be 20 years old.

I just made two pins to stop the table from turning if you have to back up at times. Nothing fancy, just two pins on the edge of the platform or table.

The picture of our outfit on post.

DeBUSK
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #7

Simple is good.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #8

OOO nice rig Radar! I think our little cars are adorable! Thanks for your kind words though. We are leaning towards an open trailer more and more. Cheaper for one, simpler for two. Do you cover your car? Have you done any thing to keep the trailer more stable? We so appreciate your help and knowledge!
Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalmer2 View Post
OOO nice rig Radar! I think our little cars are adorable! Thanks for your kind words though. We are leaning towards an open trailer more and more. Cheaper for one, simpler for two. Do you cover your car? Have you done any thing to keep the trailer more stable? We so appreciate your help and knowledge!
Howdy again. We don't cover it. Although it gets dirty it never seems to get much road spray etc and after probably 45000 miles of towing we haven't picked up a rock chip...yet. Having said that I have seen some folks put a shield on the front of the trailer. I don't want to do that because it would prevent me from storing it under the motorhome...that and I haven't had a problem with rock chips so what would be the point.

Stable?...hmmm. I see the trailer in the camera but I have never noticed it move in an unstable manner. There is no way you will feel a trailer that light. We have seen it air-borne once or twice over big frost heaves or big pavement transitions like at a road construction project once. All ended well but the motorhome behind us saw air under the tires. The tires are cheap so we change every four years and check them every time we stop for a break. So far so good and we have never had a blow out. We have friends with a similar setup and he put tire pressure sensors on the trailer. We thought about it but so far haven't done anything about it.

I have never looked for a trailer for a Fiat 500 and would be interested in what you find. Sometimes custom is cheaper and you can add some cool things like tool boxes to hold straps etc. Good luck on your quest.

John
Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #10

Hey check this out. Scroll down a bit to get to the Fiat 500 version.

SMART CAR TRAILERSÂ* SMART FORTWO TRAILERS, SMALL CAR HAULER TRAILERS
Old 04-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #11

Another friend of ours decided he wanted to go with a dual axle trailer so he got this one built. He uses the fast track set up for tying it down. VERY FAST. He brought it by the shop to show it off and I took a few pictures. It was a custom build so they will make it 2 feet longer for the Fiat. Here are a few shots.

I would either get rid of the front gate thing or make it removable so I could slide it farther under the rear of the coach. I think if I ever have to replace my trailer I would go this route next time although I would still lean towards single axle. meh, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

They are on Vancouver island BC Canada. Heres the link.

Trailers, Parts and Accessories - Car Haulers
Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #12

Thanks John!.

Most appreciative of pix and info!! Slick trailer set up your friend has.
You gave us some things to think about. We just might go with a single axle since you haven't experienced any sway in rough situations. We thought we should get a double axle as it would offer more stability and would prevent possible sway but obviously your experience tells us it is not an issue. Good to know. We will probably pick ours up in So Cal as that is where the rig and car are now.
Does your trailer have brakes?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yes we have the Fiat Abarth and have things to flat tow. We've had some things crop up and Thom has not had the time to install them yet so we still tow the car and bike on a 20 ft equipment trailer. I know the Fiat Abarth is manual and can be flat towed. Not sure which version of Fiat you have but read the manual to see if it can be towed all 4 wheels down. If not then you will need some sort of dolly or trailer to tow it.

Thom and I have been together for over 20 yrs and this is the first large purchase that he has made and not had buyers remorse with. It is a blast to drive and maneuver around the country with. I know the one we have has the turbo in it and it just does not notice the mountains. Thom (without realizing it) passed a semi going up a mountain and was doing 90 or so. As soon as he saw the speed yes he did slow it down. He just did his track day for buying the car at Laguna Seca. You use their Abarth's and put them thru their passes on the track.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #14

Hi Pirate Silly, Sounds like a blast! We have the Fiat 500 pop, manual. It is very fun to drive and is perfect for us. Would love to try the Abarth some day. I read about the track day and my husband would LOVE that. Not with the Pop however!
I think we have decided on an open trailer which we will have made in So Cal.
Have fun with that cute Fiat. I think we are Fiat for life now! Best to you.

Tags
dolly