Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Anyone install an M&G braking system on a later '12-'16 JK Jeep with ABS?

Folks,
We're presently thinking of purchasing a later model JKU (Unlimited) for use as an off road machine and toad. We've towed Jeeps for decades and have plenty of experience at it. I recently installed the M&G braking system in our '03 Rubicon and, it was not too bad of an install. But, in looking at the engine compartment, specifically the area where the M&G would go, it looks to be one pain in the a$$. There's considerably more brake lines to have to "tweak" out of the way, as well as other components.

So, has anyone done the install of an M&G in a late, '12-16 Jeep JK or JKU?
Scott

P.S. Pictures would be worth a thousand words too.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

I had it installed on a 2016 JKU. I'm usually willing to take on a project like this but when I looked at it like you have I thought maybe it would be better for someone to do it that has done it before. I think that was a good choice. I'll run out and get some pictures to post. It did require cutting away the plastic barrier in front of the antilock controller. It's still a tight fit.

When it was done it seemed to be a bit more invasive than I had hoped. But it's done and works great. We will see what the dealer thinks when it comes time for any warranty work in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	133958  

Old 07-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #3

Here is another angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	133960  
Old 07-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ View Post
Here is another angle.
Hey Tom,
That's exactly what I was looking for. Yep, no doubt about it, that M&G is packed down in there, for sure. My '11 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L was actually quite easy. Our '03 Jeep Rubicon TJ, was just a tad worse but, still not overly complicated. But, that JK, especially since the air heads decided to install ABS on the Rubicons, is what really makes this job a pain.

On the TJ Rubi's, there was no ABS like other model Wranglers. But, I guess either the feds of, someone high up in the Jeep/Chrysler/Peugeot hierarchy decided the JK Rubi's needed ABS. Oh well, not the end of the world. When we get one, I'll take a serious look at what's involved with the install. Thanks very much for taking the time to get the pics I asked for. That's great.

Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

I did on our 2015. You have to cut out some plastic that the abs is mounted to and its a very tight fit. Not fun but doable. I also had a GMC pickup and it was quite easy. I mounted the reserve tank for breakaway on the firewall above the brake vacuum booster.

Tags
abs, install