Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone installed a M&G brake on a Jeep JK?

I ordered the M&G brake system and breakaway kit yesterday and will be installing it next week on a 17 JKU - when the parts arrive. Any words of wisdom for this project?

BTW, I found the package for a pretty good price on eBay. Local dealer wanted $1700 installed, I paid $800 for the kit from a RV dealer in NC. I figure my time is not going to add up to $900 even if it takes me all weekend, but then again I work cheap - when it's for me.
manwithtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used the M&G on 2 toads.
A Chevy Tracker with a V6 engine and went to TX and had it factory installed as they informed me that it would require shimming the master cylinder and vacuum booster to clear a cross brace. It worked out well. I then self installed on a Chevy Silverado and the hardest part was bending the brake lines, without kinking them, at the master cylinder. The adjustments of the internal rod is critical and if you have questions contact the factory. They are great people.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtools View Post
I ordered the M&G brake system and breakaway kit yesterday and will be installing it next week on a 17 JKU - when the parts arrive. Any words of wisdom for this project?

BTW, I found the package for a pretty good price on eBay. Local dealer wanted $1700 installed, I paid $800 for the kit from a RV dealer in NC. I figure my time is not going to add up to $900 even if it takes me all weekend, but then again I work cheap - when it's for me.
manwithtools,
The Jeep Jk is one of the hardest M&G installs. I've installed it on TJs and Silverados etc. and that was cake compared to the JK. I'm in the same boat so-to-speak as you. We have a '15 JKUR and I've been hesitant to order the M&G system up for ours simply because of the difficulty in install. I I've got a couple of buddies who've done it and, yep, they both said it's a bear. Doable but, a bear. There's some items that have to be pushed around and re-positioned but, it's doable. Obviously it is because, the company sells one for a JK. Sorry I can't be of more help but, sooner or later I'll get mine ordered and, like you, will be facing a difficult install. But, if others have done it, we can too.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 AM   #4

I have the M&G on my 2016 JKU and love it. A dealer installed it and it works great. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I installed mine on my 09 JK and the hardest part was cutting the plastic mount to move the ABS unit forward. I used a Dremel tool for this. I had questions and called M&G and they were very supportative. I also installed the break-away system which was simple to install. The dealers here in Montana wanted $1000 to Install it. In reality I just wanted a project to help pass winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cylinder.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	195310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakaway switch.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	195311  

Name:	Breakaway 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	195312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach air supply.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	195313  

Old 03-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
manwithtools,
The Jeep Jk is one of the hardest M&G installs. I've installed it on TJs and Silverados etc. and that was cake compared to the JK. I'm in the same boat so-to-speak as you. We have a '15 JKUR and I've been hesitant to order the M&G system up for ours simply because of the difficulty in install. I I've got a couple of buddies who've done it and, yep, they both said it's a bear. Doable but, a bear. There's some items that have to be pushed around and re-positioned but, it's doable. Obviously it is because, the company sells one for a JK. Sorry I can't be of more help but, sooner or later I'll get mine ordered and, like you, will be facing a difficult install. But, if others have done it, we can too.
Scott
Scott,

Looking at the room that is available between the Master cylinder and the ABS unit I thought this might be a challenge. I'll know better when the parts arrive. Thanks for the conformation that it will be a battle.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
I installed mine on my 09 JK and the hardest part was cutting the plastic mount to move the ABS unit forward. I used a Dremel tool for this. I had questions and called M&G and they were very supportative. I also installed the break-away system which was simple to install. The dealers here in Montana wanted $1000 to Install it. In reality I just wanted a project to help pass winter.
Moving the ABS unit forward makes sense, is this step outlined in the installation instructions?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Moving the ABS unit forward makes sense, is this step outlined in the installation instructions?
Yes there is a photo. On my 2009 JK the ABS unit has to be moved forward to fit the adapter between the vacume booster and master cylinder. The ABS unit has 2 or 3 studs on the bottom that fit through rubber groments so the unit has to be pulled up after you loosen it. I moved mine forward as far as possible and remounted. I was able to use the forward stud hole and it worked perfect.

Good luck
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for that information Del.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I installed the M&G on my 2011 JK. Removing the plastic wall that supports the ABS is best done with a dremmel tool or small cut off wheel.

Adjustment of the shafts is critical. Too tight and the brakes may drag...too loose and you’ll end up with excessive pedal travel.

I mounted my breakaway vertically near the master cylinder.

Try to mount the air fitting on your bumper so that it is easily accessible. You don’t want be crawling around under you Jeep in the rain to connect it. This really applies to the electrical connector and break away cable as well.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the M&G placements on my Rockhard bumper. The breakaway switch box mounts on the stud on the top center of the bumper. I keep it off until I tow. Since I chose not to dill a hole in my bumper I used the winch plate to add the plug and air plug from the Motorhome. Like tankcj said make sure the adjustment of the pin is correct and use the included Loctite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rockhard Bumper 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	195423  

Tags
brake, install, led