Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone installed Blue Ox BX8869 light socket kit on 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Haven't actually pulled out a tail light to look at it yet, but watched an E-Trailer video where the guy pulls one off and looks like it might be hard to drill with a 1" hole saw on the curved backing anywhere near where the existing light sits.

So curious if anyone with a 13 JGC has installed this kit? Perhaps 11-13 is the same? I think if there's room to do that it seems much simpler in the long run to run a separate set of tail lights and power them from the coach.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

Did it on my 05 Grand Cherokee w/o issues, rather easy.
b
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don,

I had this installed but on a 2015 GC. Wish I could tell you more but I did not do the install. I did however go with this wiring option for the reasons you mentioned.

Since we are using a Ready Brute Elite surge brake, this wiring kit made sense for us. The new lights and bulbs are powered from the coach. Works like a charm.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi guys & gals,

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I get the procedure and how it works. I'm asking if someone with an 11-13 Jeep Grand Cherokee has done this. I'm asking due to the curvature on the lens housing makes it look very difficult to find a place to drill and insert the socket. I don't believe the light fixture on an 05 or 15 is the same as a 13. What may have been a slam dunk on an 05 might not be exactly the same on a 13. Here's a picture of the housing:

Appreciate the replies, but really looking for someone who's done it on a 13. I suppose I'll just try to get my wife to let me have the Jeep long enough to pry one of the rear lights and see if I can find a place to drill a 1" hole. Note how they extruded a mount to get the existing light in, but the rest of the back is very curved and even if you drilled through, the flat bulb socket is not going to sit flush on that curve. Unless I could drill up from underneath where it's flat.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, install, led, light